Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Recommendations for car for both city and country roads

slimboyfat

As per the subject - I'm based in Bangkok but travel often to Pattaya and upcountry.

I currently have a Honda Jazz which is ideal for driving (and parking!) in Bangkok and fine for the drive to Pattaya - but is not so great on country roads with the risk of floods, poor quality roads, potholes etc. So I'm looking for something smallish for use I'm the city but also good for use on Thai country roads.

I'd be interested in the opinions of the board members here on which cars I should put on my shortlist for a test drive.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Toyota, Honda, and Mazda all make "high ride" sedan models. I think that would be your best shot at small for the city but some extra ground clearance for the country. 

Toyota C-HR, and maybe Toyota Cross

Mazda CX-3, Mazda CX-5

Honda HR-V

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, slimboyfat said:

Any opinions on MG cars?

An opinion? Sure. I had MG, Austin, and Triumph cars in the 70's and 80's. I even had an English Rover sedan (not a Land Rover). I like English cars. I personally would not buy a current MG, since it's a Chinese car with an English badge on it. And I would be unlikely to buy an English car of any year if I wanted reliable, dependable, day-to-day transportation. Fun to drive, sure. Reliable to own, not so much. 🙂 

If 'fun to drive' was a significant part of the equation, I'd go with the Mazda. Any of the three; Honda, Toyota, or Mazda is going to be a dependable, reliable, day-to-day sedan. 

Living in Udon Thani the car I purchased was a Toyota Altis with next to no ground clearance. I don't drive through flooded roads (since it's impossible to tell the road surface under the water that you can't see through), and I don't really need to go off-roading all that often. Most of the Isaan dirt roads that I'd be driving on I can maneuver around the potholes. But, a High Ride sedan would allow more suspension travel and would be better on that type of road. I try my best to stick with paved roads as best I can. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, slimboyfat said:

As per the subject - I'm based in Bangkok but travel often to Pattaya and upcountry.

I currently have a Honda Jazz which is ideal for driving (and parking!) in Bangkok and fine for the drive to Pattaya - but is not so great on country roads with the risk of floods, poor quality roads, potholes etc. So I'm looking for something smallish for use I'm the city but also good for use on Thai country roads.

I'd be interested in the opinions of the board members here on which cars I should put on my shortlist for a test drive.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

How about a used Baht Bus.  Certainly can navigate in Pattaya, and I'm sure it can take the beating on the country roads.  

6 hours ago, Lam Chabang said:

How about a used Baht Bus.  Certainly can navigate in Pattaya, and I'm sure it can take the beating on the country roads.  

While true, the OP is based in Bangkok. Having driven a pickup truck in Bangkok before, it isn't something I would want to do on a routine basis. 🙂 

I've had a Pick up 4x4, a bit of a beast to drive, but very good and safe in the countryside, but clumsy in town. Had a Jazz, great in city, OK on open road (Done lots of long distance with it), but not good on country roads, bad roads, floods etc.
Now my compromise is a Mazda CX5, very comfortable, easy in city great on open road and no problem on poor roads, unsealed roads and some flooding. Good service, reliable.
Fun to drive...

• Like 3

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

I've shortlisted the Toyota Corolla Cross, Honda HR-V and Mazda CX- 30 (The CX 5 is just a bit too expensive for me without taking a loan)

Edited by slimboyfat
Typo

9 minutes ago, slimboyfat said:

(The CX 5 is just a bit too expensive for me without taking a loan)

Just as an aside, I bought our Toyota 4-door pickup, and our Altis hybrid with dealer financing. It's not that difficult If that were keeping you from it. If you just don't like financing no worries. If the US dollar ever gets to 40 baht, I may have to consider paying off my loan in one big chunk. 🙂

Sharing my personal experience. I rented a Toyota Vios and it was sipping fuel. Drove it from Bangkok to Hua Hin. Drove around Hua Hin a bit. Then back to Bangkok in a 36 hour period. I was disappointed I couldn't use the full tank I paid for by the time I returned the vehicle. Will be bumpy for the country side though.

A crossover or small pickup will economically be your best options. Since labor is cheap in Thailand, have you consider maybe modding your Jazz? If 4x4 is not needed, changing suspensions and adjusting height comes to mind.

Don't disimiss Suzuki - and they have a dealership in Bangkok too.

I've only ever had one as a second or third car, but found them 100% bullet proof, as have other people I know.

Maybe a big too big (its not massive though), but the XL7 'crossover' is designed for just what you are after, being as happy on bumpy flooded backroads as on the motorway.

I'd go as far to say they are the most reliable brand car I have ever owned - I remember one I had did 40k over three years before I suddenly realised I'd forgotten to get it serviced........don't judge me, it was used more by someone else than me....

Edited by mattmoore1965x