IGNORED

1 day over 30 day stay. What to do?

Knightop

Info: came from Canada and a tourist visa was not required for stays up to 30 days. Thai stamped my passport for Aug 11-sept 9th. I landed at bkk at 11:20pm Aug 11 and leaving Sept 10 7am. I originally thought they would just stamp for beginning of next day. Stupid of me

Would checking in online and going through border security on Sept 9 help me avoid the 1 day penalty or should I apply for a 7 day extension somewhere? I'm in Pattaya and would appreciate some guidance. Thanks 

Accidentally did similar a long time ago - one day over. Some supervisor guy just did a stamp and signed it and let me through. They didn't say why, and I didn't figure it out until I was on the plane.

It's not likely to be a big deal, but passport control doesn't normally check flight tickets, so going through there on the 9th would probably do the trick.

I think one or two days is allowed. They may want you to pay a small fine but that is about it.

Edited by Kale
  • Like 2

This has been asked many times before. If you search One Day Overstay in Content Titles Only you’ll get plenty of results. Here’s a couple …….

• Like 4

There is no penalty for one day over, just a stamp in your passport and a disapproving looking from the immigration officer. 

• Like 2

i highly recommend everyone not to risk an overstay.
deportation and blacklist is really not comfortable.

try to have an evidence for your leave, e.g. a flight ticket or a bus ticket with you.

Leave as soon as you can !

I overstayed once a few years and I was required to pay a fine at the airport. Forgot how much it was.

I've been fined a couple of times, 500 baht each day overstay. 

• Like 3

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

if things go wrong...
accidents etc. - they will ask you for your identity and passport - then you are screwed !

I overstayed by one day. Accidentally - I'd been having a good time so changed my flight date.

At Suvarnabhumi airport I had to pay a small fine, but no more problem. 

There was a desk with a steady flow of miscreants!

I also overstayed 1 day a while ago. I miscalculated the month stay by an extra day. At the airport I was sent to another area of immigration but there wasn't a drama they simply stamped my passport after a close look and sent me through. Just assumed I was a falang that couldn't count.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, likeaking said:

I've been fined a couple of times, 500 baht each day overstay. 

There is no fine for ONE day...just a stamp in your passport...nothing to worry about.

I know one day isn't a big deal. But broken record time: it's a permanent stain on your record. I would get an extension. Go to immigration a few days before (preferably not on a Monday.) There's a little copy shop next door that can help you sort out the paperwork. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

6 hours ago, JamesBanglamung said:

i highly recommend everyone not to risk an overstay.
deportation and blacklist is really not comfortable.

try to have an evidence for your leave, e.g. a flight ticket or a bus ticket with you.

Leave as soon as you can !

They don’t care about 24 hours. 

• Like 2

Don't overstay your visa!

Last time I overstayed by about an hour, my flight was delayed until 4 AM the next day so I went through passport control about 1 hour after midnight.

I was literally dragged into a back room by about 7 square-jawed but surprisingly feminine ladyboys in immigration uniforms.  There, they beat me mercilessly with rubber hoses and trampled on my tender ballsack with their high heels before they took turns violating me with their "truncheons."  Over and over and over.  It lasted for hours.

It was awful - by the end I was crying, sobbing, begging them not to put me back on that plane!

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/08/2022 at 11:06, barmatt said:

I also overstayed 1 day a while ago. I miscalculated the month stay by an extra day. At the airport I was sent to another area of immigration but there wasn't a drama they simply stamped my passport after a close look and sent me through. Just assumed I was a falang that couldn't count.

Add another one to the list of those who cannot count. I'll make sure I have 500THB in my wallet when I depart.

:D

• Haha 1

I accidentally overstayed by one day this February. I had to change airline flights, isolation hotel and condo booking dates after BA cancelled flights to Thailand, and I miscalculated dates.

As my flight was leaving after midnight I thought i would be ok if I checked in before then, but I was taken to a desk and had a stamp put in my passport. I asked the guy if it was a problem and he said not problem.

I'm glad that the entry visa is apparently going to be extended from 30 days to 45 days between October and next March.

I will be more careful in working out the dates this time. 

I think some people need 15 fingers on each hand, to allow them to count up to 30 without getting confused  :)

I've got no doubt that when the 45 day visa exemption comes in, there will be people accidentally booking 46 & 47 day stays :)

1 day is no problem and no fine.
I was once going to be 3 days overstay so decided to do the right thing and went to immigration to extend. They refused, saying it would more expensive than the fine (which was only 100 baht/day at the time).

For the record it is 500 Bhat/day now. But still no charge for the 1st day. 

1 hour ago, jaynewcastle said:

I think some people need 15 fingers on each hand, to allow them to count up to 30 without getting confused  :)

I've got no doubt that when the 45 day visa exemption comes in, there will be people accidentally booking 46 & 47 day stays :)

I think the confusion is the minute you arrive is already 1 day.

Not 24 hours later.

I have never overstayed, but just thinking outloud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

(Last updated: August 25, 2022)

Update: Starting October 1, 2022, Thailand CCSA has announced that the Visa Exemption stay period will be extended from 30 days to 45 days. This change is currently in effect until 31st March 2023.

There is only this life.  You don't get another one.  Go get it, give it your all. regards.