IGNORED

Phuket Golf Tour

Ping Pong

I got out to Phuket in early March for 3 weeks. Never been before, didn't know much about the golf courses.

I booked through Golf Asian who I have used before and they provided a very good service. hotels and golf was cheap due to lack of tourists because of the testing. However I did suffer from a lot of TIT because single golfers just get shoved out of the way even if you have a tee time booked.

If you want to see my travels, the golf courses and my golf it's on youtube as The Hairy Golfer. I just ask you please don't mention mongering in the comments. Thanks. It would also help if you became a subscriber and help a poor monger along. My next trip is in November 2023 and there is an invite in one of the videos. The full playlist of the trip is below. Thanks guys. You must at least watch the video where I had a 69 with Minnie and you can guess if I got a 69 later on in my room...........

• Like 2

Somebody likes to plan ahead 555. From what hear, Phuket golf is expensive. I'm currently in Chiang Mai golfing. Highlands is an incredible course and only 950+caddie tip. What a deal.  Looking forward to watching your YouTube. 

36 minutes ago, sudsy said:

Somebody likes to plan ahead 555. From what hear, Phuket golf is expensive. I'm currently in Chiang Mai golfing. Highlands is an incredible course and only 950+caddie tip. What a deal.  Looking forward to watching your YouTube. 

Cheers. I got lucky with the hotels and golf being cheap due to lack of tourists. I can't afford it in normal times. The gamble to go before Thailand was fully open paid off.

69 with Minnie you dirty old so & so. Well done. Agree about the white tees golf shouldn't be torture. Watched 3 vids so far all good fun

www.sugarcanemafia.com

@Ping Pong great videos mate - thanks for sharing. I’ve golfed a number of times with Golf Asian - good company. I have even played a round at Siam old course with Golf Asian managing director…nice guy.

On 05/07/2022 at 14:36, Ah dinnae ken said:

69 with Minnie you dirty old so & so. Well done. Agree about the white tees golf shouldn't be torture. Watched 3 vids so far all good fun

Thanks for watching. Shame I got stiffed so many times as a single golfer, being stuck off the back 9 when Golf Asian had booked me tee times. TIT Tough it's Thailand.

10 hours ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

@Ping Pong great videos mate - thanks for sharing. I’ve golfed a number of times with Golf Asian - good company. I have even played a round at Siam old course with Golf Asian managing director…nice guy.

Lat time I played Siam Old Course was with Golf Asian. I got put with a couple of English guys which was good. Downside was the course was crawling with people who couldn't cope with the raised greens and run offs. It was 5 and a half hours round and by the 8th tee I could of taken my bag and walked in.

I think they need to see handicap certificates there rathe than just baht. The 4 ball directly in front of us could not of broken 120 - better ball.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ping Pong said:

Lat time I played Siam Old Course was with Golf Asian. I got put with a couple of English guys which was good. Downside was the course was crawling with people who couldn't cope with the raised greens and run offs. It was 5 and a half hours round and by the 8th tee I could of taken my bag and walked in.

I think they need to see handicap certificates there rathe than just baht. The 4 ball directly in front of us could not of broken 120 - better ball.

Yikes.  That would be hard to watch.  Love the Old Course though. 

5 hours ago, Ping Pong said:

I totally agree…we had a similar situation there one time with Korean golfers. Now I’m only a mid/high handicapper (16), but I don’t hold anyone up. Yes sometimes, particularly when busy, the clubs should ask for handicap certificates.

11 hours ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

I totally agree…we had a similar situation there one time with Korean golfers. Now I’m only a mid/high handicapper (16), but I don’t hold anyone up. Yes sometimes, particularly when busy, the clubs should ask for handicap certificates.

Handicap really isn't a factor.  I have a very good friend lives in Pattaya who due to age and lack of talent has seen his handicap rise to about 30.  If there were 4 of him playing a foursome and unimpeded he would finish in under 3 hours. 

Slow play is either ignorance or rudeness.  One can always pick up on a hole they are about to shoot a triple bogie on and move on.

2 hours ago, madmike said:

Handicap really isn't a factor.  I have a very good friend lives in Pattaya who due to age and lack of talent has seen his handicap rise to about 30.  If there were 4 of him playing a foursome and unimpeded he would finish in under 3 hours. 

Slow play is either ignorance or rudeness.  One can always pick up on a hole they are about to shoot a triple bogie on and move on.

Of course, technically speaking you are correct. It is possible that a 4 ball each with a handicap of 30 could get around a golf course in 3 hours…their collective high handicap being mitigated by a personal commitment to avoiding both ‘ignorance or rudeness’. That said, the chances in reality of this 4 ball getting around a course in 3 hours is virtually nil…the chances of them getting around a tough track like Siam old course in that time is absolutely nil. 

Edited by LOTTELLEE WINNA

2 hours ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

Of course, technically speaking you are correct. It is possible that a 4 ball each with a handicap of 30 could get around a golf course in 3 hours…their collective high handicap being mitigated by a personal commitment to avoiding both ‘ignorance or rudeness’. That said, the chances in reality of this 4 ball getting around a course in 3 hours is virtually nil…the chances of them getting around a tough track like Siam old course in that time is absolutely nil. 

I was serious.  He plays fast.  When he hits OB he immediately reloads and hits.  Doesn't waste time in the Jungle looking for strays.  Doesn't agonize over club selection.  Doesn't worry about he isn't away but the guy who is hasn't got to the green yet.  Doesn't fish for balls i lakes.  Good pace play isn't hard at all. 

Without rushing he, I and 2 friends usually play Burapa in well less than 4 hours without stress. 

• Like 1

On 11/07/2022 at 00:44, madmike said:

Yikes.  That would be hard to watch.  Love the Old Course though. 

It was dire. Couldn't find a fairway between them. 5 and a half hours.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2022 at 16:14, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

I've found with senior golfers they don't hit it far enough to lose it. While you are waiting for the fairway to clear or the green to clear they are playing and moving.

But Siam Old Course with it's raised lightening fast greens and long run offs is far too difficult for many golfers. Shit. I play off 5 and can't break 80 on it.

If it's just one slow group you get through them. When every tee time is booked then the whole field goes at the speed of the slowest group. You could be teeing off on 1 and the whole course is fucked by a group on 17 who are entering their 6th hour on the course. They can be back in the hotel screwing teelak and the concertina they created on the course still hasn't fully unwound again.

I think it's the LPGA that attracts people to play there. I'd rather knock it round Plantation or Waterside in under 4 hours. They tend to be quieter.

But also people choose the wrong tees. I played Chee Chan shortly after it opened. A couple of minibuses of people. 90% of whom played tees to long for themselves. Result? Very slow round and none of them broke 100. In fact my 84 was the best round. The greens were sanded and shots into just bounced hard and ran miles from the flags. I lost count of my 3 putts on those greens! That's where I dropped my shots.

• Like 2

A few local golf societies, or bar groups may have helped ya get a 3 or 4 ball going.

Singles have no status on many courses in peak times. Doesn't matter if ya off 5 or 25.

The same in the UK, Japan, Oz.

Hope ya have a better experience next time.

From my experience the Korean golfers have to take 6 practice swings, line up, take another 3 swings then hit the ball x the other 3 that’s where the time adds up, just get to your ball and hit it, simples??

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ping Pong said:

I've found with senior golfers they don't hit it far enough to lose it. While you are waiting for the fairway to clear or the green to clear they are playing and moving.

But Siam Old Course with it's raised lightening fast greens and long run offs is far too difficult for many golfers. Shit. I play off 5 and can't break 80 on it.

If it's just one slow group you get through them. When every tee time is booked then the whole field goes at the speed of the slowest group. You could be teeing off on 1 and the whole course is fucked by a group on 17 who are entering their 6th hour on the course. They can be back in the hotel screwing teelak and the concertina they created on the course still hasn't fully unwound again.

I think it's the LPGA that attracts people to play there. I'd rather knock it round Plantation or Waterside in under 4 hours. They tend to be quieter.

But also people choose the wrong tees. I played Chee Chan shortly after it opened. A couple of minibuses of people. 90% of whom played tees to long for themselves. Result? Very slow round and none of them broke 100. In fact my 84 was the best round. The greens were sanded and shots into just bounced hard and ran miles from the flags. I lost count of my 3 putts on those greens! That's where I dropped my shots.

I'm a senior golfer living on a retirement course in Arizona.  I also play off a 5 but can still "launch it"  about 250 on a regular basis.  I agree Siam is too hard for some players and Plantation and Waterside are better tracks for many.  Have not had the pleasure of Chee Chan yet.  I also had difficulty breaking 80 on SIam mostly due to the severely sloped and fast greens.  Putting sucks.  😜

What drives me nuts is here on my home courses there is no Jungle, short rough, no carries, really hard to lose a ball unless you are in someones back yard so no time spent looking for balls.  And it's going to be 110 today.  And some yoyos will take over 4 hours to play.  Arggg. 

Also kudos to mentioning wrong tees.  My experience in Thailand is that some nationalities seem to think it is a manly thing to play back tees.  No idea why that would be fun hitting 5 iron thru 3 wood into every par 4.

2 minutes ago, ronthebrummie said:

From my experience the Korean golfers have to take 6 practice swings, line up, take another 3 swings then hit the ball x the other 3 that’s where the time adds up, just get to your ball and hit it, simples??

Too easy.  Gotta make a show of it if you don't really have a good swing.  😛

On 14/07/2022 at 14:01, Dunghie said:

A few local golf societies, or bar groups may have helped ya get a 3 or 4 ball going.

Singles have no status on many courses in peak times. Doesn't matter if ya off 5 or 25.

The same in the UK, Japan, Oz.

Hope ya have a better experience next time.

It's tough coming out on my own. I have played with a golf bar but they went to the cheap charlie courses. That's why I have to use Golf Asian. Not saying I didn't enjoy my time with them but flying 12 hours to play courses worse than my own is not a holiday.

On 14/07/2022 at 14:12, ronthebrummie said:

Not to mention choosing the 7200 yard tees and betting on every shot........

On 14/07/2022 at 14:14, madmike said:

I'm a senior golfer living on a retirement course in Arizona.  I also play off a 5 but can still "launch it"  about 250 on a regular basis.  I agree Siam is too hard for some players and Plantation and Waterside are better tracks for many.  Have not had the pleasure of Chee Chan yet.  I also had difficulty breaking 80 on SIam mostly due to the severely sloped and fast greens.  Putting sucks.  😜

What drives me nuts is here on my home courses there is no Jungle, short rough, no carries, really hard to lose a ball unless you are in someones back yard so no time spent looking for balls.  And it's going to be 110 today.  And some yoyos will take over 4 hours to play.  Arggg. 

Also kudos to mentioning wrong tees.  My experience in Thailand is that some nationalities seem to think it is a manly thing to play back tees.  No idea why that would be fun hitting 5 iron thru 3 wood into every par 4.

I am happy to play 6500 par 72 back home on a fairway that's firm and my 235 carry rolls out. In Thailand 6100 is plenty with the splat. Some courses don't splat, Chee Chan doesn't for instance. My tee choice is weather based - when was the last downpour.

Plus it's a fucking holiday! Who wants to go home never getting close to their handicap? Life is tough enough.

• Like 2

On 11/07/2022 at 05:47, Ping Pong said:

Thanks for watching. Shame I got stiffed so many times as a single golfer, being stuck off the back 9 when Golf Asian had booked me tee times. TIT Tough it's Thailand.

If you want to play any of the Siam courses on your own you can get on prior to 0730 

If you can handle the early out of bed thing I have found it a great time to play as you get a morning without the heat just a bit of humidity but you usually in the club house by 10am to 10:30am for a shower 

Dont need to use a booking company just email Siam Country Club for a booking and see what you get 

• Like 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 20/07/2022 at 15:56, Tuna Town said:

If you want to play any of the Siam courses on your own you can get on prior to 0730 

If you can handle the early out of bed thing I have found it a great time to play as you get a morning without the heat just a bit of humidity but you usually in the club house by 10am to 10:30am for a shower 

Dont need to use a booking company just email Siam Country Club for a booking and see what you get 

I'm going to have to do that on my next trip. Get Nam Taxi to take me. Cheers

1 hour ago, Ping Pong said:

Your other option is you can hire a car yourself 

Most car hire places will rent a car for around 1000 baht a day 

1 hour ago, Ping Pong said:

Also you can only book this way within 7 days of your intended game. If you flick them an email during business hours in LoS the girls there will reply within an hour usually and will offer you various tee times depending on course maintenance booking levels etc