IGNORED

Streaming Netlfix to your TV, can it be done

Cerberus

Hi guys, Is it possible to view stations such as  Netfix on your non-smart TV. The TV has all the sockets at the rear including HDMI, however the TV is not connected to any TV stations, such as True. 

I have fast (for Thailand) unlimited internet connection via a router. 

Do I just need to run a HDMI cable between the computer and the TV and then search the TV to find the connection? Or do I need to connect the router and the computer to the TV,

Grateful for any Guidance as this is to aid in the longer term recovery of my Cognitive Skills.

If it's not a smart tv, you need a android box or firestick, both available on Lazada.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

If it's not a smart tv, you need a android box or firestick, both available on Lazada.

Thank you sir, I will look them both up now

• Like 1

Agree with above, I have a smart tv but I just use an android box connected to it for all apps like YouTube Netflix etc,. You can get a reasonable one for about £50, it will probably come with Netflix and a load of other apps on it already, plug it in the tv via hdmi, connect the WiFi (same as you do on your phone) open Netflix and put in your password etc. job done… if you find the remote control that comes with it a bit awkward to use try buying a minix remote, o find them a lot easier to use  

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

41 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Hi guys, Is it possible to view stations such as  Netfix on your non-smart TV. The TV has all the sockets at the rear including HDMI, however the TV is not connected to any TV stations, such as True. 

Sure, it depends on how much more than just put on Netflix you want to do. 

For me personally, I use Chromecast dongles on my TVs. If I want to watch Netflix I have two options (for the sake of this discussion). A.) pull up Netflix on my phone and "cast' it to the TV. B.) run Netflix on my PC and "cast" it to the TV. There is a minimal amount of futzing, programming, and/or updating involved in that process. 

Now though, I'd probably buy a Chromecast with Google TV instead of the just plain 4K Chromecast.

https://groov.asia/products/chromecast-with-google-tv-dented-box?_pos=4&_psq=chromecast&_ss=e&_v=1.0

30 minutes ago, Garzan said:

Sure, it depends on how much more than just put on Netflix you want to do. 

For me personally, I use Chromecast dongles on my TVs. If I want to watch Netflix I have two options (for the sake of this discussion). A.) pull up Netflix on my phone and "cast' it to the TV. B.) run Netflix on my PC and "cast" it to the TV. There is a minimal amount of futzing, programming, and/or updating involved in that process. 

Now though, I'd probably buy a Chromecast with Google TV instead of the just plain 4K Chromecast.

Oh hell, lets get this straight, if I get the above can I connect it directly to the TV HDMI socket and wifi. Then  I and get access and that will negate the HDPC?

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

Oh hell, lets get this straight, if I get the above can I connect it directly to the TV HDMI socket and wifi. Then  I and get access and that will negate the HDPC?

Yes. There's a little tiny dedicated task computer inside the little puck, so you don't need any extra box to use it. Minimal futzing is involved. 🙂

Sadly though, the cost in Thailand is a bit higher than the cost in the US or UK. And Amazon does not sell Google devices. I normally pay the premium buying from Groov.Asia since the stuff is already inside of Thailand and there are no Customs or Duty nonsense to deal with. 

On a tangent, one of the things I like about having a Chromecast plugged into my TV is the curated art rotating screen saver function. I like turning the TV into a photo/art display frame when I'm not using it as a TV. 🙂

7 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Yes, it sounds like a lot of hassle but in reality it is really easy. Any half competent teenager will have you up and running in 5 minutes.

The Nvidia Shield, Chromecast with Google TV, Firestick are the way to go. Personally I would not bother with a generic android box, too underpowered, bad quality, complete crap shoot.

Hope this helps 

• Like 2

Thank you gentlemen, I have ordered the above, which should be here in two days and I will report back at that time.

7 minutes ago, LoneCelt said:

Yes, it sounds like a lot of hassle but in reality it is really easy. Any half competent teenager will have you up and running in 5 minutes.

The Nvidia Shield, Chromecast with Google TV, Firestick are the way to go. Personally I would not bother with a generic android box, too underpowered, bad quality, complete crap shoot.

Hope this helps 

That difficult 🤢 Oh well I have ordered now.

• Like 2

No matter whatever box you get, it's much better to use a ethernet cable to plug the box into your router directly, instead of using wifi. You'll get a much stronger feed that way. 

So, plug box one side into TV HDMI port, other side ethernet cable directly to router, if at all possible.

The challenging setup... 🙂

I use an Apple TV, but like others have said, it's just a box.

I'm not sure why is everyone advising Chromecast and other dedicated devices, when answer to this question:

12 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Do I just need to run a HDMI cable between the computer and the TV and then search the TV to find the connection?

is yes, and since OP already has a PC that's the easiest solution.

16 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Thank you gentlemen, I have ordered the above, which should be here in two days and I will report back at that time.

I'll also add that if it does not do what you want, I'd be willing to buy it from you for whatever you paid for it. I do think it's the least fiddly option of the options available. But, the important part is what you think about it. 

32 minutes ago, Garzan said:

I'll also add that if it does not do what you want, I'd be willing to buy it from you for whatever you paid for it. I do think it's the least fiddly option of the options available. But, the important part is what you think about it. 

Thank you sir, ever the gentleman. I have one being delivered tomorrow and should I manage to get it working I will get one more for use in the room I sneak off to in the middle of the night. Saves me disturbing my good lady when working on my cognitive skills in the wee hours. 

5 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Thank you sir, ever the gentleman. I have one being delivered tomorrow and should I manage to get it working I will get one more for use in the room I sneak off to in the middle of the night. Saves me disturbing my good lady when working on my cognitive skills in the wee hours. 

You have a TV in the hong nam?    :D

Edited by bangna

On 11/04/2022 at 16:38, Cerberus said:

On 11/04/2022 at 16:38, Cerberus said:

No, it has not taken that long, I had a crop of so called security questions and demands pasted all over my computer screen when I switched  it on so have not the time till today.

As so many advised me it was pretty much plug and play, it took me 25 minutes as it kept telling me passwords were wrong and I had to go back and forth between room to sort that.

Anyway its all system go, even if the lass cannot get  instagram on it as she had hoped

Thank you all who contributed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

No, it has not taken that long, I had a crop of so called security questions and demands pasted all over my computer screen when I switched  it on so have not the time till today.

As so many advised me it was pretty much plug and play, it took me 25 minutes as it kept telling me passwords were wrong and I had to go back and forth between room to sort that.

Anyway its all system go, even if the lass cannot get  instagram on it as she had hoped

Thank you all who contributed.

Glad you got it sorted. Chromecast works well for my needs, I also have an HDMI port on my recently bought Macbook that I can hook up directly to any TV that has one and use it as a second monitor that mirrors everything I see on my Macbook. 

I've been a patron of your business since I first started coming to Pattaya over 10 years ago and the times in your establishment are some of my best memories. I wish you a speedy and successful full recovery of your cognitive abilities. 

On 11/04/2022 at 17:18, WhiteThai said:

No matter whatever box you get, it's much better to use a ethernet cable to plug the box into your router directly, instead of using wifi. You'll get a much stronger feed that way. 

So, plug box one side into TV HDMI port, other side ethernet cable directly to router, if at all possible.

+1

If you want to watch things live things like Moto GP or F1 ethernet connection is the way to go :)

• Like 1

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png