IGNORED

Hyatt Regency Hotel Review, Sukhumvit Soi 13

Piece Corp

I use hotel certificates at first opportunity and don’t care if I’m not maxing out their value. My niece likes to maximize them. The last time she used one was locally since it was going to expire. She still had to pay $50 for hotel parking and ended up going out for a nice, but expensive dinner. I asked if she would have gone out to dinner that night if she wasn’t downtown burning a hotel cert and she said no. Bottom line for me, it’s better to use a cert when I actually need a room (I’m saving the cost of the room in cash or points) versus spending money on a night out just to burn a cert when I would have otherwise been at home.

• 1 month later...

I have stayed in Hyatt Regency two years ago for 3 nights and it was great. Was there during covid so had a quarantine night there, breakfast on the room was good, but breakfast buffet was really nice. Location is perfect as well due to its closeness to the metro. Would definetely recommend and I am thinking of staying there for a couple of nights again in january.

On 03/10/2023 at 12:36, Luv2Phuket said:

Yet another Hyatt Regency update....

I booked it for my upcoming November trip (fingers crossed I don't have to cancel again).  This time it is for 5 nights.

I booked 3 in the Club level room on points (12,000/night).  The first 2 nights are booked on Hyatt annual free night certificates, which will only get me a standard room.  

Since I do NOT like/plan to switch rooms within the hotel mid-stay, my choices are:
1. cancel the free night cert stays and book the first 2 nights using 12,000 points each, OR
2. stick with the certificates and pay the hotel 2500 baht per night to upgrade and stay in the same room throughout.

2,500 is a little steeper than I hoped (was hoping for 2000 baht or maybe a "points redemption offer").

The smarter play is probably to keep the free night certificates for use at a Cate. 4 property, but I have had too many certificates get close to expiration the last few years (requiring me to cash them out here in Las Vegas), so I am leaning heavily towards the 2,500 baht/night option.

Any thoughts?

On 03/10/2023 at 16:04, bgtp said:

I use hotel certificates at first opportunity and don’t care if I’m not maxing out their value. My niece likes to maximize them. The last time she used one was locally since it was going to expire. She still had to pay $50 for hotel parking and ended up going out for a nice, but expensive dinner. I asked if she would have gone out to dinner that night if she wasn’t downtown burning a hotel cert and she said no. Bottom line for me, it’s better to use a cert when I actually need a room (I’m saving the cost of the room in cash or points) versus spending money on a night out just to burn a cert when I would have otherwise been at home.

Just a quick update - 

Still hoping my trip comes off (even if it means working quite a bit from Thailand), but I overhauled the itinerary.  Now doing 6 nights in Pattaya, followed by only 3 in Bangkok at the Hyatt. 

Because I'm now only there for 3 nights and the 2500 baht/night was not getting me a much bigger room (just lounge access and breakfast), I decided to downgrade the "non-certificate" night to a standard room at 8,000 Hyatt points.  As much as I loved the lounge and breakfast, the extra baht didn't seem worth it for this trip.

I was able to status match up to Explorist, but I don't expect an upgrade.

That said, if paying with points for the whole stay, I would drop the 12,000 points per night for lounge access or, better yet, hope like Hell that I could get a Jr. Suite for 13,000.

• 4 months later...

Disappointing news on the Hyatt front:

As part of the Category changes that kick in on March 26, the Hyatt Regency Sukhumvit will got from a Category 2 (which was ABSURD!) to a Category 3 property.

That means the points required for a standard night will go from 8,000 to 12,000 per night.  

The prior rate was just TOO good of a deal -- you could get a suite for 12,000 or 13,000 points.  I assume those will now go up to 16,000 or more.

It's pretty far out of Pattaya, but the Andaz also increased from Category 3 to Category 4 (12,000 standard per night to 15,000).

Ironically, I am booked there for March 25th and 26th, but I'm using a free night certificate.