IGNORED

Hyatt Regency Hotel Review, Sukhumvit Soi 13

Piece Corp

• 3 months later...

I just stayed here for 2 nights on Hyatt points and really enjoyed my stay and would stay again, my room was the same as PC's and looked like my pictures exactly

• Like 2

Great pictures, thanks! 

In general I find the lack of proper balconies in Thailand (Bangkok in particular) astonishing. It's not just that I'm a smoker. The feel of the thick balmy air is how enjoy a relaxing evening. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 7 months later...

Good info, thanks! The Hyatt Regency looks really nice, but dayum.. that price!

I think i might go with the Sofitel for my few days in Bkk in mid august. Thanks for the reviews!

• 3 weeks later...

I stayed there pre covid early 2020, and its a nice new hotel at a decent price range imo. If you have top or mid tier status with Hyatt the lounge is actually very nice and the staff extremely friendly. I used to enjoy the GH Erawan until they did the reno a few years back transforming it from an old colonial style homey feeling to a cold place imo. Pity used to love the staff there and it used to be my home in BKK. 

On 12/07/2022 at 19:12, daniel said:

I stayed there pre covid early 2020, and its a nice new hotel at a decent price range imo. If you have top or mid tier status with Hyatt the lounge is actually very nice and the staff extremely friendly. I used to enjoy the GH Erawan until they did the reno a few years back transforming it from an old colonial style homey feeling to a cold place imo. Pity used to love the staff there and it used to be my home in BKK. 

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in late 2019, but only for 1 night. Very nice hotel! I had hoped to stay again in November 2021, but the Sandbox Plan eliminated my nights in Bangkok.

The Grand Hyatt has been a frequent hotel of choice for me.

Here is the ABSURD thing to me: BOTH are only Category 2 hotels with Hyatt.

I looked at the month of November (high season) and both were coming back primarily at 8,000 World of Hyatt points per night (a few nights bumped it to 9,500).

13 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Here is the ABSURD thing to me: BOTH are only Category 2 hotels with Hyatt.

during covid, the park hyatt (above central embassy) was normally around 10k thb / night, while the hyatt regency sukhumvit (and the erawan one) were often under 3k / night, sometimes as low as 2k / night (if you booked early in advance). 

i've never stayed at park hyatt, but was always wondering how that price difference makes any sense... the rooms didn't look (much) better online. 

nowadays, it seems the price discrepancy is much smaller. park hyatt prices stayed very similar to covid times (somewhere in the 10k / night region), while regency & erawan doubled their price (or even more). 

the penthouse bar & restaurant (above park hyatt) is awesome though and a great spot to take a date (if you want to impress / willing to pay). the food was amazing and it's a super nice spot in general. 

Edited by petehoax

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

1 hour ago, petehoax said:

nowadays, it seems the price discrepancy is much smaller. park hyatt prices stayed very similar to covid times (somewhere in the 10k / night region), while regency & erawan doubled their price (or even more). 

For the dates in November, the Park Hyatt is 20,000 points per night (23,000 on some nights), so it is going for more than double the points req'd for Grand Hyatt Erawan or Hyatt Regency at that time.

Park Hyatt is a Category 5 hotel under Hyatt's award chart.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/07/2022 at 05:44, petehoax said:

during covid, the park hyatt (above central embassy) was normally around 10k thb / night, while the hyatt regency sukhumvit (and the erawan one) were often under 3k / night, sometimes as low as 2k / night (if you booked early in advance). 

i've never stayed at park hyatt, but was always wondering how that price difference makes any sense... the rooms didn't look (much) better online. 

the penthouse bar & restaurant (above park hyatt) is awesome though and a great spot to take a date (if you want to impress / willing to pay). the food was amazing and it's a super nice spot in general. 

Booked only a 2-night stay in November at Hyatt Regency - only 8,000 points per night. I was hoping to do 3 nights, but Hilton in Pattaya is fucking with me on changing my arrival date.

My debate:
Should I step up and get a Regency Suite for 13,000 points per night? The difference in points works out to more than another night in the standard room (10,000 points over the 2 nights).

Suite does include breakfast and Regency lounge access....

Along those lines, here is what I truly cannot figure out:
 - standard room with Regency lounge access is 12,000 points per night
 - suite with Regency lounge access is 13,000 points per night

While I may not drop 5,000 points per night to do it, who wouldn't pay 1,000 points more for the suite if they wanted lounge access???

FWIW, the paid rate at Hyatt Regency was a little over 6,000 baht per night, while Grand Hyatt was going for over 9,000 baht per night. That makes Grand Hyatt the better "bargain" for the 8,000 points, but I don't get too caught up in that. Plus, I am staying my first 4 nights at the Waldorf Astoria next door to the Grand Hyatt and would prefer to move to a different area for my Hyatt nights (Regency is a little closer to the "fun").

20 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

My debate:
Should I step up and get a Regency Suite for 13,000 points per night? The difference in points works out to more than another night in the standard room (10,000 points over the 2 nights).

you quoted me, so i answer. 

you're talking about hyatt regency sukhumvit, right? (i assume so based on the name, but yeah).

but first: i've never stayed in a regency suite (or anything above the standard rooms). so i have absolutely 0 experience besides looking at the website :)

but they show the floor plan and i'm a huge sucker for the bathroom with the full front glass windows and the bath tub in front of it. so for me, it would be absolutely worth it and a no brainer :)

only thing better would be the presidential suite with the amazing terrace... do they offer this via points? if yes, how many / night? 

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

On 20/11/2021 at 16:47, Thomaz73 said:

Great pictures, thanks! 

In general I find the lack of proper balconies in Thailand (Bangkok in particular) astonishing. It's not just that I'm a smoker. The feel of the thick balmy air is how enjoy a relaxing evening. 

In BKK most 4-5 star hotels don't even have windows that open 😞

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2022 at 15:45, Luv2Phuket said:

Booked only a 2-night stay in November at Hyatt Regency - only 8,000 points per night. I was hoping to do 3 nights, but Hilton in Pattaya is fucking with me on changing my arrival date.

My debate:

Suite does include breakfast and Regency lounge access....

Along those lines, here is what I truly cannot figure out:
 - standard room with Regency lounge access is 12,000 points per night
 - suite with Regency lounge access is 13,000 points per night

While I may not drop 5,000 points per night to do it, who wouldn't pay 1,000 points more for the suite if they wanted lounge access???

Following up in this, I decided to step up and book the "standard suite" for my 2 nights. As noted above, It's 10,000 more Hyatt points for the 2 nights, but what the Hell? Might as well do it in style!

Technically, on a "points per USD" basis, it looks like a better "value":
 - standard room is going for $190 (6,860 baht), so my 8,000 Hyatt points are basically "worth" about 2.375 cents each
 - Suite is $356 (12,860 baht), so my 13,000 Hyatt points are "worth" 2.738 cents each

Given that bloggers value Hyatt points around 1.9 to 2 cents each, I am getting slightly above average "value" for them.

I will try to remember to report back with photos and my thoughts on the suite after my stay.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

This Hyatt Regency has a pretty cool, 3-level rooftop restaurant/bar/lounge/dance club. Spectrum Lounge. Of course, you don't have to be a guest at the hotel to enjoy it. I can't vouch for how good it gets, personally I went on the wrong night, the lounge/resto was rather busy but the nightclub levels were mostly empty, but I'd expect a pretty hi-so crowd given the location and prices. Definitely will go back a different night.

https://www.instagram.com/spectrumrooftopbkk/?hl=en

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 22/08/2022 at 20:33, Luv2Phuket said:

Following up in this, I decided to step up and book the "standard suite" for my 2 nights. As noted above, It's 10,000 more Hyatt points for the 2 nights, but what the Hell? Might as well do it in style!

Technically, on a "points per USD" basis, it looks like a better "value":
 - standard room is going for $190 (6,860 baht), so my 8,000 Hyatt points are basically "worth" about 2.375 cents each
 - Suite is $356 (12,860 baht), so my 13,000 Hyatt points are "worth" 2.738 cents each

Given that bloggers value Hyatt points around 1.9 to 2 cents each, I am getting slightly above average "value" for them.

I will try to remember to report back with photos and my thoughts on the suite after my stay.

My November 2022 trip got scrapped, but I just saw that Hyatt has moved this property DOWN to Category 2.  It is a RIDICULOUS value at 6,500 Hyatt points per night.

May stay there on points for a few nights in August.

• 1 month later...
On 31/05/2023 at 14:49, Luv2Phuket said:

My November 2022 trip got scrapped, but I just saw that Hyatt has moved this property DOWN to Category 2.  It is a RIDICULOUS value at 6,500 Hyatt points per night.

thanks for sharing these information. Somehow I read this page yesterday and found out my CSR point can transfer to Hyatt point so checked all the details. I will stay 3 days in October and the suite price is ~$418/night which means the point is incredibly worth!!!! I canceled my previous booking at Grande Centre Point Terminal 21 which was about $180/night for Grand Deluxe room with breakfast and cancellable till two days prior to check-in. These 13000 points per night is freaking valuable and I will save all my CSR points for Hyatt in the future. Hope there is another Hyatt near Hilton Pattaya lol

Edited by richard724

Sadly, no decent Hyatt options in Pattaya.

There is an Andaz listed as Jomtien....but it's actually Na Jomtien.

I looked it up on a map and it is about 22 km (30 min drive) from the Hilton, which I consider pretty "central" for Pattaya.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/06/2023 at 04:49, Luv2Phuket said:

Mistake in my earlier post, as apparently the Hyatt Regency has been a Category 2 hotel for a while.  Doesn't negate the fact that, to me, that is absurd.

I checked in today to wind down my August trip.  I booked late, so my ONLY point redemption possibility was a lounge access room for 12,000 Hyatt points per night. 

I just got back to my room from the Happy Hour in the lounge and was BLOWN AWAY!  I've milked dinner out of happy hours more times than I care to count, but this was a legit spread -- pork tenderloin, Thai noodles, pasta, salad bar, desserts, soup, fresh fruit...lots of booze and wine (wasted on me as I don't drink).

Looks like with the free breakfast buffet and this happy hour spread every ngiht, my food bill is gonna plummet!  555

The 13,000 point rate for a Jr Suite also includes lounge access, so that redemption looks to be my "go to" for future trips to Bangkok (unless cashing out free night certificates).

^^^ For those of us who are either too poor or too thrifty to know what a VIP Lounge at a top end hotel is my girlfriend who works in a similar hotel and lounge recently explained it to me and showed my on the work computer all the rates. Save you some time from googling prices if this sounds to like a good way to a "free lunch" as it did to me (wrong)..someday I'll be old enough to understand "there is no such thing...

To start, these hotels don't come cheap if you're not getting some free or lowcost points, rewards, freebie thing! She showed me on the lowest priced days it was something like 7k baht a night and double triple that for popular nights. More spacious rooms much more than that. Those basic rooms did not include VIP lounge access unless you added like 3500baht to the cost upgrade. Awsome if you got all this free but my thrifty-ass the math didn't work out.

I was impressed with the pictures she sent me it has it's own mini buffet line with no crowd and attended by a chef who would e.g. cook to order your eggs or carve your meat. They had this buffet separate from the main room buffet in mornings and "happy hour" evenings. Obviosly drinks and snacks free. If I had a rich boss paying for this I'd would take avail.

I asked her who would use this and she explained business men would even hold small meetings there, and  wealthy people including families with kids which some she disliked because they would not properly supervise their spoiled brat kids.

Edit: of course a worker can't slide you in a room free in these upper end hotels but she offered to sneak me into the lounge free! I figured that wouldn't work as I might be that slob described in the banned bro's thread wearing XXX's and cargo shorts and white socks and sandals for real😅 . I had to google what a binini shirt was sounded like a starbucks snack for your overpriced coffee 🤑

Edited by snowbird

• 1 month later...

Yet another Hyatt Regency update....

I booked it for my upcoming November trip (fingers crossed I don't have to cancel again).  This time it is for 5 nights.

I booked 3 in the Club level room on points (12,000/night).  The first 2 nights are booked on Hyatt annual free night certificates, which will only get me a standard room.  

Since I do NOT like/plan to switch rooms within the hotel mid-stay, my choices are:
1. cancel the free night cert stays and book the first 2 nights using 12,000 points each, OR
2. stick with the certificates and pay the hotel 2500 baht per night to upgrade and stay in the same room throughout.

2,500 is a little steeper than I hoped (was hoping for 2000 baht or maybe a "points redemption offer").

The smarter play is probably to keep the free night certificates for use at a Cate. 4 property, but I have had too many certificates get close to expiration the last few years (requiring me to cash them out here in Las Vegas), so I am leaning heavily towards the 2,500 baht/night option.

Any thoughts?

I’m with you, I’ve held certificates waiting for the better offer and then scrambled last minute just to use them local. I’m trying to develop a sunk cost mentality and just use them at first opportunity.  If you don’t manage to use them on your  trip and end up burning them locally at a Vegas Hyatt property would that future regret exceed the feeling of spending the 5k?