Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Proper way to say "I love you"

ScottyG

Its

"Heres 10,000 baht honey"

ROFL spot on...couldn't have put it better myself..

IF ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL WHERE IS THE REST OF MY PENIS?

My wife confirms this to be true - she said no-one would ever say that. She always says to me "Lak kuhn mak loey"......... well not always, sometimes she says "ai hia!"

Rak kun maak^ lee_y = love you so much

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

• 1 month later...

I am a old timer....just say....Honey, I love you. Say this in english, most thai girls and boys will understands exactly what you said....they might not believe you but they will understand what you are trying to say to them. samuijim

Avatar...Hillary says to Bill, let's name her Monica

• 2 weeks later...

I have always found a little dangerous learning Thais from Isan bar girls in Pattaya. I often go to Bangkok where I have Thai friendships with well educated families, and I am often concerned that they would read through me that I learn Thai from bar girls. Now, that I frequent them they are already certain, but at least I try not to give the impression I am also taught by them.

All that being said, I sometime and always in jest, said I love you to a Thai girl. Having heard several times the Chan Rak Ther poetic expression from songs, I tried using that. I was more often than none quickly rebuked for using chan as a pronoun. Apparently, it might be fine if you are a Thai boy in love with your girlfriend, but if you are an old geezer punting a girl 1/3 your age, I would recommend empowering your seniority and don't embarrass them by making them feel older. So, say Phom, and be happy with it.

As for the Ther, as it was also correctly stated, it is only used in poetic forms. Khun is the preferred form. Using nouns, such as yours or hers is very Isan, and hardly the correct form. I would recommend stay away from it, especially if you have more than one teerak.

Finally, the emphasis at the end. In my opinion the Loey is a little uncouth. You gonna sound great to her, but a single Mahk, or even two if you are really carried away will do much better. If you really wanna outdo yourself, then use Mahk Kern Pai (มากเกินไป), which translates "too much". Who has not heard "I love you too maht" at least once in his life in Pattaya?

Oh, and the Na Ja is an affectionate particle at the end of a phrase used when talking with a close friend or a lover. Use it at will, and it will make you sound quite cute. It is, of course, used in replacement of the Krap, but being a formal expression you don't have to use it when saying I love you, anyway.

Edited by Antidogma

Phom/dichan rak khun is the most acurate and generic way of saying I love you. Personal pronouns i.e. khun, chan, ther etc can be changed and played around with depending your gender,on how well you or how long you have known them and the situation just like they can be in virtually any other setting. So you can personalise it a bit if you wish to.

Additional words such as maak and leey just add emphasis. If you had to choose one definitive translation to 'I love you' it is 'Phom/dichan rak khun' you would be hard pushed to find an easier phrase to translate really; the Thai words match the english ones even down to their positions in the sentence!

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Finally, the emphasis at the end. In my opinion the Loey is a little uncouth. You gonna sound great to her, but a single Mahk, or even two if you are really carried away will do much better. If you really wanna outdo yourself, then use Mahk Kern Pai (มากเกินไป), which translates "too much". Who has not heard "I love you too maht" at least once in his life in Pattaya?

I often feel that เกินไป (gern bpai) and มากเกินไป (mâak gern bpai) indicate a sense of negativity, so not really suitable in this case

รักคุณมากเลย (rák koon mâak loie) doesn't seem at all uncouth to me. In fact, to me, it seems the perfect way to say it.

Using one mâak is okay, but mâak mâak sounds a little childish to me.

But then I spend a lot of time with Isaan people :Hate_Computer:

Edited by Loong

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

I often feel that เกินไป (gern bpai) and มากเกินไป (mâak gern bpai) indicate a sense of negativity, so not really suitable in this case

Using เกินไป is also something I find adds negativity to something. I remember saying คุณสวยเกินไป and was informed that it's not a compliment, as I was just directly translating it I never really understood why till I looked into the word more.

Edited by herds

Using เกินไป is also something I find adds negativity to something. I remember saying คุณสวยเกินไป and was informed that it's not a compliment, as I was just directly translating it I never really understood why till I looked into the word more.

Yes, คุณสวยเกินไป (koon sŭay gern bpai) - You are beautiful too much! It doesn't even sound right in English.

Maybe จัง (jang) or จังเลย ( jang loie ) is better - คุณสวยจังเลย (koon sŭay jang loie ) - You are extremely beautiful.

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

It's a sorta joke and complement, saying someone is too beautiful. Works unless you're saying it to kelly brook or something

Thanks for the info everybody! Very interesting! :D

I really miss Pattaya after beeing away for 8 years!!

But I`m moving back next year so I`d better start

learning some Thai.. again.. :P My X-girlfiend from

Pattaya always wanted me to say Tee Rak Cha??

(maybe I remember wrong) Any clue? (I suck at Thai :P )

Yes, คุณสวยเกินไป (koon sŭay gern bpai) - You are beautiful too much! It doesn't even sound right in English.

Maybe จัง (jang) or จังเลย ( jang loie ) is better - คุณสวยจังเลย (koon sŭay jang loie ) - You are extremely beautiful.

Yeah I agree jang lee_y\ sounds more like an adult. But I never speak all this guff with them anyway as they hear it every bloody day. Think that when you say something like this you should mean it and save it for a special moment when it will mean something. That is to say if you meet someone special who you see a future with.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)