IGNORED

Proper way to say "I love you"

ScottyG

Hello.

Am wondering the proper way to say I love you in Thai. Is it "chan rak khun" or "chan rak ther"?

If you are female then "Chan raak khun" is right, for a male it's "Phom raak khun"

B.T.W. "Maak maak" is very much.

Chan = I / me. spoken by female.

Phom = I / me. spoken by male.

Raak = love.

Khun = you / person.

Beware, 'love' as Thai's use the word, does not mean the same as it does to us. Their definition is, respect for the person who takes care of them.

Edited by Smee again

Its

"Heres 10,000 baht honey"

They will 'love you long time' . . . . . . I. E. the rest of the day ! ! maybe even a whole week ! ! ! ! ! ! !

if she tells u ....chan rak kun.....shes taking the piss

if she tells u .........chan rak ther .............she means it

however i doubt she would ever say chan rak ther to a farang

chan rak ther - I(female) love her

?

however i doubt she would ever say chan rak ther to a farang

ther or ter is only used in written script or songs so unless shes singing to you or writing a love letter then she'd not say this word. But this implies shes batting for the other side in the phrase above :Teacher1:

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

its always better to use your name and her name.. like ( mike rak fon )..

just watch some thai movies and you will see. when a father say i love you to a son and such.. its always( pau rak ruk ) ( dad love son/daughter )..

you dont normally see a thai saying chun rak kun and such.. at least i havent seen it . well i seen it only when they are playing around..LOL...

but eh. what do i know. i only been to thailand a couple of times.. :Teacher1:

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

just watch some thai movies and you will see. when a father say i love you to a son and such.. its always( pau rak ruk ) ( dad love son/daughter )..

Yep this is ok with close friends or family but if you use your own name when speaking with strangers etc you will sound the same as a gay.

I didnt know this till recently until my teacher informed me. I dread to think the amount of times I've embarrassed myself previously speaking with strangers like this. :P

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

• 4 weeks later...
Its

"Heres 10,000 baht honey"

I've found if you give them 30,000 plus they actually believe you.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are female then "Chan raak khun" is right, for a male it's "Phom raak khun"

B.T.W. "Maak maak" is very much.

Chan = I / me. spoken by female.

Phom = I / me. spoken by male.

Raak = love.

Khun = you / person.

Beware, 'love' as Thai's use the word, does not mean the same as it does to us. Their definition is, respect for the person who takes care of them.

This is very interesting- at very end of last trip- met really great bar girl- stayed with her 2 days- paid her usual long time rate- 2 months ago sent her $100 for her birthday- she has never asked for anything- but she calls me every couple of weeks to say i love you ( yes i call her too) It seemed stange after 2 days she would say that- now i understand

TO QUOTE THE GREAT GEORGE BURNS

SEX AT MY AGE IS LIKE TRYING TO SHOOT POOL WITH A ROPE

IF YOU LIVE TO BE 100- YOU'VE GOT IT MADE. VERY FEW PEOPLE DIE PAST THAT AGE

ask her! she will will know it will be in her " how to get rich quick being a bar girl book" they all got 1. :001_Sawasdee:

"My PIN number is ..."

-Smelly

Perfecting my ability to "let that which does not matter truly slide"

If Thais don't say I love you from the heart as we mean it then what do they say when they have deep emotions for another.

Try saying 'Koy hak jao'

Means the same thing, but in the Issan dialect.

If you want something done properly, do it yourself..

• 2 weeks later...

you dont normally see a thai saying chun rak kun and such.. at least i havent seen it . well i seen it only when they are playing around..LOL...

but eh. what do i know. i only been to thailand a couple of times.. :22600584-Th:

its always better to use your name and her name.. like ( mike rak fon ).. That's very much a female thing and particularly Isaan. If you are male, then never refer to yourself by name as people will laugh at you. Of course there are exceptions and between a father and daughter, it's ok.

It is always best to use the pronoun pŏm ผม, but in a case of saying I love you, pŏm would seem to me to be a bit too formal

chăn ฉัน, is perfectly acceptable when used by a man to a close friend or lover.

chăn rák ter ฉันรักเธอ I love You/Her. As already stated, usually only in books and songs.

chăn rák koon ฉันรักคุณ I love you, Probably the best way to say it.

chăn rák koon mâak loie ฉันรักคุณมากเลย I love you so/very much. I think that mâak loie is better than mâak mâak

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

...chăn rák ter ฉันรักเธอ I love You/Her. As already stated, usually only in books and songs...
Both "chan" and "ter" are used by men in movie dialog also. I have been told numerous times that "Chan rak ter" is correct; everything else is bullshit.

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

ther or ter is only used in written script or songs

My wife confirms this to be true - she said no-one would ever say that. She always says to me "Lak kuhn mak loey"......... well not always, sometimes she says "ai hia!"