Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

RIPTommy Docherty

Dalef65

Just been announced.  Former Chelsea, Aston Villa, Manchester United and Scotland football manager Tommy Docherty has passed away at the age of 92

RIP The Doc

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

RIP The doc .... 

Edited by jocky king

The Doc was a one of the most charismatic characters in the game. My brother told me a great story about meeting him in a bar near Wembley, before the FA cup final in 1990 between Man Utd and Crystal Palace.

Some one shouted out to Doc, what team would he be supporting and he replied Man Utd, whipping off his Jacket for everyone to see his Utd shirt. 

He wouldn’t accept a drink from anyone, he had the wit of Cloughie and Gordon Strachan, rolled into one.

A man who lost his job for love and together till the end. RIP the Doc.

He was a great manager and pundit. I believe he played for Preston more than 300 times as well. RIP The Doc!

One of those it’s really easy to “recall” along with Clough.

I was just reading some of his one liners for which he was well known. Here’s one - 

“When I took over at Rotherham I promised them I would take them out of the 2nd division first season and I did - I took them to the 3rd”

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Some more great quotes....

"Cricket is the only game that you can actually put on weight when playing"

"They offered me a handshake of £10,000 to settle amicably. I told them that they would have to be a lot more amicable than that"

"Elton John decided he wanted to rename Watford and call it Queen of the South"

"I've always said there's a place for the press but they haven't dug it yet"

"Somebody compared him to Billy McNeil, but I don't remember Billy being crap"

"I don't think Henry Kissinger would have lasted 48 hours at Old Trafford"

To his chairman at Chelsea: "Mr Chairman, when I want your advice I'll give it to you."

On Jimmy Johnstone: "On my first day as Scotland manager I had to call off practice after half an hour, because nobody could get the ball off wee Jimmy Johnstone.

On getting rid of George Best: "George just kept on going missing at the time - Miss America, Miss Canada, Miss Great Britain."

On his career: "I’ve had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus."

On his forwards: "Our strikers couldn’t score in a brothel."

RIP

7 minutes ago, kd_traveller said:

Some more great quotes....

"Cricket is the only game that you can actually put on weight when playing"

"They offered me a handshake of £10,000 to settle amicably. I told them that they would have to be a lot more amicable than that"

"Elton John decided he wanted to rename Watford and call it Queen of the South"

"I've always said there's a place for the press but they haven't dug it yet"

"Somebody compared him to Billy McNeil, but I don't remember Billy being crap"

"I don't think Henry Kissinger would have lasted 48 hours at Old Trafford"

To his chairman at Chelsea: "Mr Chairman, when I want your advice I'll give it to you."

On Jimmy Johnstone: "On my first day as Scotland manager I had to call off practice after half an hour, because nobody could get the ball off wee Jimmy Johnstone.

On getting rid of George Best: "George just kept on going missing at the time - Miss America, Miss Canada, Miss Great Britain."

On his career: "I’ve had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus."

On his forwards: "Our strikers couldn’t score in a brothel."

RIP

LOL the Billy McNeil one is quality

I have mixed feelings about the Doc...my first pair of new soccer boots were "Tommy Docherty Continentals" leather black and white with screw in studs....luxury.....as a United fan for many years to watch the exciting attacking football they produced under Docherty to get promoted back into the old first division was brilliant.

He blotted his copybook for me in selling Denis Law (after telling him face to face that he was in his plans for the future) behind his back...first thing Denis new was when Doc announced to the press Denis was available on a free transfer....to this day Denis has never forgiven him.

Secondly to go behind his first team,s physio (laurie Brown) and have an affair with his wife (yes I know it takes two to tango but how would anyone on here feel about a mate going behind your back and bedding your wife or girlfriend) was totally out of order.....anyhow RIP Doc and thanks for some great...and not so great...memories :GrinNod1:

13 minutes ago, petermik said:

I have mixed feelings about the Doc...my first pair of new soccer boots were "Tommy Docherty Continentals" leather black and white with screw in studs....luxury.....as a United fan for many years to watch the exciting attacking football they produced under Docherty to get promoted back into the old first division was brilliant.

He blotted his copybook for me in selling Denis Law (after telling him face to face that he was in his plans for the future) behind his back...first thing Denis new was when Doc announced to the press Denis was available on a free transfer....to this day Denis has never forgiven him.

Secondly to go behind his first team,s physio (laurie Brown) and have an affair with his wife (yes I know it takes two to tango but how would anyone on here feel about a mate going behind your back and bedding your wife or girlfriend) was totally out of order.....anyhow RIP Doc and thanks for some great...and not so great...memories :GrinNod1:

Yup - he was far from "perfect" for sure - bu a great character.

I was reading last night that 3 of his 4 kids from his first marriage had never spoken to him since he married the physios wife.

Ah, The Doc. One of the game's true 'characters'. 92? Not a bad innings, but he'll be much missed.

Tom Tit

0_GettyImages-78984145.jpg

Ron went home for a meal and a wash, but what he had seen over there did not let him rest.

14 hours ago, cheetzie said:

He was a great manager and pundit. I believe he played for Preston more than 300 times as well. RIP The Doc!

Yes he played for Preston, gave the foul away in the 54 cup final which allowed West Brom to score their 3rd and winning goal.

RIP Doc

Following United home and away during the Docs tenure was an absolute joy.

RIP "THE DOC"

A manager with charisma and ability to match. He lived his life to the full.

I'd rather look at tits, cunts and arseholes than listen to them!

• 10 months later...

One of the Doc’s last great interviews.