IGNORED

Mai bpen rai

Ajay75

Yep I confirmed this saying with my teacher this morning as she wanted to know who taught me and said it was a pretty rude thing to say.

She said the last person to say it to her was her brother when she was 10. She also mentioned that its the sort of thing the gangsters will say before having a fight.

I wont be using it but its nice to know so cheers.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

She also mentioned that its the sort of thing the gangsters will say before having a fight.

That makes sense........ I heard some mafia type geezer my missus knows in Phuket say it!

You could say Pai klai klai which does mean go far away if klai is pronounced flat. As others have pointed out a falling tone change the meaning to the opposite making it a tricky sentence if you haven't mastered the tones yet. I usually say "ook pai leey" = go away now. You can also turn it into a joke if a Thai says it to you because leey is also the name of a province in Iisaan, so I just reply "pai tham arai thee leey, klai maak" Why go to Leey? it's very far. Usually gets a laugh.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

"ook pai leey"

Yes, I've noticed that the phrases most often used by women with kids are "ook pai" and "ook maa"..........

Baw pen yan dawk was one of the first phrases I was taught by a BG, it means same same as Mai Pen Rai but it's from the Issan Lao dialect.

Try it with some of the girls, you should get an ace response, they love to hear us speak Issan.

Transliteration of Thai into English lettering is never ideal, but maybe just a typo, you missed the g off the end of yang.

I prefer to write it as Baw bpen yung dawk. The Bp sound being neither a B or a P. When you say the English word Pen, you will release a puff of air with the P, but with Bp there is no release of air.

Hmm sounds a little strange as "glay glay" means "nearby". So if your saying "bpay glay glay" it would sound weird. But I maybe wrong as this crazy language has so many hidden meanings.

Go away or piss off is "bpay hay ponV" which is what I know but rarely use. Not exactly rude but I never push my luck when speaking Thai if I'm not sure about somethings real meaning and different contexts of use.

Yes, I always understood that when ใกล้ glâi is repeated, glâi glâi, it means near. I thought that the repetition was to make it definitely distinct from ไกล glai meaning far.

Something new I've learnt today - thanks people.

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one