IGNORED

Mai bpen rai

Ajay75

Well I've used this phrase a fair bit during my visits to Thailand and have always understood it to mean "no problem, its fine, etc". However my teacher has recently informed me of the correct time and context in which to use this commonly used phrase. I will be using it properly from now on but I dont think it matters too much in Patts.

Anyway this are the two examples she explained of the correct use:

1> She told me that if her mother or anyone had asked her to do something and she answered "mai bpen rai", she would have got a slap as it effectively means "get away from me".

2> If her mother or anyone had thanked her for doing something and she said it then she would be praised as its used to mean the "no problem, its fine" translation.

Most of you may probably know this but thought I'd post it anyway as it maybe useful for some.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

Rule of thumb - substitute "never mind" in place of "Mai bpen rai". It doesn't mean exactly the same thing, but using that substitution you can see why you would get slapped in the first case, but not the second. Usually works.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

"Mai Me Pen Ha" is also used in similar instances but it means more like "No Problem".

Thank you very much. Damn, I think I've been using mai pen rai incorrectly. I also thought the phrase was similar to, "oh well, such is life, no worries, don't worry about it" etc. For example, I ordered jalapeno poppers at Bob's BBQ, but the waitress told me they ran out and apologized. I responded with, "mai pen rai." Is that an incorrect use of the term?

Thank you very much. Damn, I think I've been using mai pen rai incorrectly. I also thought the phrase was similar to, "oh well, such is life, no worries, don't worry about it" etc. For example, I ordered jalapeno poppers at Bob's BBQ, but the waitress told me they ran out and apologized. I responded with, "mai pen rai." Is that an incorrect use of the term?

AFAIK, that would be correct usage. Even though it is pretty much like saying "don't worry, no problem", you can't just substitute that translation in all cases. Like the OP example, in English you might say "no problem" in response to a request, meaning "yes I will do it, it's no problem for me". In Thai, saying mai bpen rai in response to a request is like saying "nevermind that, I'm not going to worry about it". At least that's how I think it is, a Thai speaker can please feel free to correct me.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

Directly translated Mai Bpen Rai means 'It doesn't matter.'

So it isn't so much as 'You're welcome' more like 'No big deal.'

Thai people say Mai Bpen Rai for many uses, but if her mother asked her to do something and she said 'It doesn't matter' that would be a mega faux pas, and she'd probably get that slap.

The best response when you're offering an okay or expressing agreement is a simple 'Krup' (or Ka for female) which is simply a respectful way to say "OK" in this instance. OK Krup is also accepted.

Edited by Grumpy

you can use mai pen rai as ( you're welcome ) only when you are using to a kid or someone younger then you. other then that you really cant use it as ( you're welcome ).

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

I've heard a lot of people using the term for so many situations. Easy to understand why.

Suppose what you need to say when someone orders/asks you to do something is "mai yaak tam" I don't want to do it.

Or maybe if you are brave " Tam ehng...Ban ha korng kun, mai ban ha korng chan" .....Then get the hell out of there quickly.

• 1 month later...
I've heard a lot of people using the term for so many situations. Easy to understand why.

Suppose what you need to say when someone orders/asks you to do something is "mai yaak tam" I don't want to do it.

Or maybe if you are brave " Tam ehng...Ban ha korng kun, mai ban ha korng chan" .....Then get the hell out of there quickly.

I would just say "khor tort, may^ daay^" - sorry I cant.

Sorry I'm not sure what this means: " Tam ehng...Ban ha korng kun, mai ban ha korng chan"

Is it: Tam eeng, bpan haaV kong koon, mai bpan haaV kongV pomV - Do myself, problem is yours, not problem mine?

Its not that bad to say this but I'd say it with a smile.

Probably better to make it a little more polite: Chuay^ tam dtua eeng pro_/ waa^ may^ bpan haaV kongV pomV OK may/- Please do yourself because its not my problem OK?

It shows respect to the Thai people to talk in their own language, so reading some of the phrases on the board is very useful information. Thanks for that.

Cheers,

Adrie.

It shows respect to the Thai people to talk in their own language, so reading some of the phrases on the board is very useful information. Thanks for that.

Cheers,

Adrie.

Yes I agree totally, especially in places where your not looking to BF someone in Patts. I've had a few free drinks because I've spoken Thai from mamasans in beer bars and also been brought/shared food with deckchair owners on the beach. Was a very nice gesture and a bit of a shock and I also think it helps set you apart from the average farang.

From my experiences Thais tend to treat you better if you make alot of effort to learn about their culture, language, food etc. Its all alot of bollocks about Thais not liking you speaking their language. The only ones who dont are on the "make" and therefore arent worth knowing anyway. The postive experiences far outway the one or two negative encounters I've had speaking Thai (which has never happened outside Patts).

The one fault I have of Thai's is that they dont ever correct you unless you know them well. They just seem glad you can speak even if its not quite correct. Part of their charm which I love in a way.

But in answer to your message: Mua_^ ray\ goo_^ daay^ = anytime :Whistle:

Edited by Ajay75

• 2 weeks later...

Sound like they use this phrase like the young people in US currently use them word "whatever".

It can be used as Sure, no problem

or

it can be used as get out of my face as I'm not hearing/doing what you're saying

Context is important.

Cheers,

Adrie.

i agree with you it does show respect but how the hell do you remember these phrases especialy after a few beers it seems to me that the only way to learn thai is to relocate to LOS and speak daily

^i don't think for us native european language speakers you can just pick up thai unless it's just a few words or phrases.

Edited by herds

it can be used as get out of my face

"Pai glai glai" is what is normally used for that, isn't it?

Baw pen yan dawk was one of the first phrases I was taught by a BG, it means same same as Mai Pen Rai but it's from the Issan Lao dialect.

Try it with some of the girls, you should get an ace response, they love to hear us speak Issan.

If you want something done properly, do it yourself..

yeah.

I say that to girls if they start speaking isaan :) pollutes my brain otherwise.

yeah.

I say that to girls if they start speaking isaan :GoldenSmile1: pollutes my brain otherwise.

oops......... sorry for the "baw pen yang" post then!

Whats the literall translation for this phrase as I've never heard it before?

Whats the literall translation for this phrase as I've never heard it before?

"Go far away from me" is how I understand it.

"Go far away from me" is how I understand it.

Hmm sounds a little strange as "glay glay" means "nearby". So if your saying "bpay glay glay" it would sound weird. But I maybe wrong as this crazy language has so many hidden meanings.

Go away or piss off is "bpay hay ponV" which is what I know but rarely use. Not exactly rude but I never push my luck when speaking Thai if I'm not sure about somethings real meaning and different contexts of use.

Hmm sounds a little strange as "glay glay" means "nearby". So if your saying "bpay glay glay" it would sound weird. But I maybe wrong as this crazy language has so many hidden meanings.

Yes, bizarrely "glai" means both near and far - depending on the tone! As you said, crazy language.