IGNORED

Mosquitos..

Rodway

Have you ever read the instructions on these room sprays?

Spray the room for about 15 secs.

Leave the room for about 20 mins.

Return to room and open the windows to ventilate the room well.

They should add, all mossies fly back in and then go back to start and repeat till can empty then buy another and start again.

I live here in Thailand and used to use the sprays every night. Returned to room a few hours later and could still smell it. Never ventalated the room, what's the point? mossies would just fly back in. After a time both me and my girlfriend started to feel unwell. This went on for some time till we decided that it may be the spray, so we stopped spraying. Slowly we both returned to normal health.

Now we use something called Permedan. No smell, no sickness, non toxoc, do not need to leave room. We still get the occasional mossy in our bedroom but our health is much better.

Chris

Just another day in Paradise!

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Pattaya. I don't normally get bitten by Mosquitos, however this time my legs and arms were eaten alive. There are some wipes you can buy from most pharmacy's, forget the name but they have 2 wipes in and are 10 baht per sachet. There the only wipes i found avaiable in pharmacy's. These worked for me, albeit a little late after been eaten alive.

www.pattaya4leisure.com

the little bastards always get me :Bravo1:

but last trip i was told to take garlic tablets, i i only had a couple of bites all trip :Drunk_Party:

One night sleeping at the hotel A/C Blowing cold. I was happy. After I fell asleep, my LT

girl got up turned off the air, and opened the patio slider. I think half the "mozzi" population

of PATTS entered and went to work on me. Woke up to a buzzing in my ear and noticed it was

very hot. I was bit 10 times on the side of my face. Girl did not get tip. If you do get bit

any Pharmacey carries this stuff in a little green and white tin, for about 20 bht. D'ont know the name

cuase all the writing is in Thai. Use this stuff and the bites go away fairly quick.

Buy the electric plug and tablets (about 150 bt) in a supermarket and put a new tablet in every evening at 6 pm.

Spray the toilet daily.

Use a repellent out of 7/11 on your ankles and all bony parts of your exposed arms, legs and body.

If you are allergic to mozzies take anti histermine tablets available in all pharmacies.

Some folk never get bitten but if you are not so lucky the little fuckdogs can give you a hell of a time.

I am allergic so I learned the hard way.

There is a milky based, non greasy lotion in a pink container in 7/11 and the pharmacies.

Mozzies hide in dark places so bear this in mind when you sit at a bar or spray your room.

I read in another section in this forum that Vitamin B6 taken everyday will help rid the mosquitoes. Can anyone confirm this? I'm Hispanic and I always seem to be attracting those lil fuckers. Ha Ha.

Thanks for the good advice!

I can't confirm it but what I can say is that when I'm in Thailand I drink beer quite a lot. Beer is known to have plenty B vitamins and people who drink beer have a higher amount of B6 in their blood.

Maybe that's why I don't get bothered by mossies.

COYS.

As every body has said mossies dont like vit b, which is higher in Guinnes and marmite(it helps if you like the stuff), on another note its only the females that bite you as there after the vitamins in your blood for their eggs

It's hit or miss because mosquitos are hatched all in the same day from each breeding. A billion mosquitos hatch on the same day; they all mate at the same time and lay eggs. So the "hatches" come every 2-3 weeks, depending on the species and other factors. You may not see any mosquitos during a short stay.

Use repellant and take Anti-Malaria drugs (it’s inexpensive).

Use repellant and take Anti-Malaria drugs (it’s inexpensive).

Are you saying to take Anti-Malaria drugs for Pattaya or other areas of Thailand?

Are you saying to take Anti-Malaria drugs for Pattaya or other areas of Thailand?

It's an individual choice whether one takes anti-malarial drugs. Just because mosquitoes are there, it doesn’t mean malaria is there too; but the potential is there. But consider that half of all people who have died on Earth, died from malaria; and 1-2 million die each year. A one month supply of doxycycline costs under $5 (US). There are other drugs, depending on your allergies and the area of travel.

Ask your personal doctor and consult the CDC (USA) “Yellow Book”:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/content/yellowbook/home-2008.aspx

Is it just me or does anyone else find that they only bite you around the ankles?

It's an individual choice whether one takes anti-malarial drugs. Just because mosquitoes are there, it doesn’t mean malaria is there too; but the potential is there. But consider that half of all people who have died on Earth, died from malaria; and 1-2 million die each year. A one month supply of doxycycline costs under $5 (US). There are other drugs, depending on your allergies and the area of travel.

Ask your personal doctor and consult the CDC (USA) “Yellow Book”:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/content/yellowbook/home-2008.aspx

I have never heard anyone recommend Anti Malarial pills for Pattaya or Bangkok.

Is it just me or does anyone else find that they only bite you around the ankles?

It's not just you. Your blood pressure is higher down at your ankles, especially if your shoes or socks constrict bloodflow. That means more blood near the surface of your skin. Mosquitos bite there to get an easy meal!

AS far as viatiam b. I was told Vitiam B 1 worked well.

living in the mussy capital of the wold "MN",I find it works very well. It putts off an oder that works well. Not to strong to be offensive to people.

A buddy and I were at a barbeque, with about 6 Thai's. They went after the Thai's but ignored us. Farang must be an

aquired taste to them.

I have lived here (Pattaya) 5 years and get bitten on a daily basis, never had any problems apart from the itching.

Get some citronella oil either where you are or here, it works well and smells ok.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

I use a spray called OFF, but had one hell of a job finding it, but its available from Friendship Supermarket on South Pattaya Road where you can also find lots of British imported stuff.

Same as others I get attacked by the little bastards every night especially when having a few cold one's in the beer bars. I find they tend to hang around down low so consequently the ankles take a hammering. Here in oz we have a lotion called " rid " which works very effectively and is non greasy. You may be able to find some in patts they had it in carrefour in Phuket. Having red raw legs from bites takes some of the gloss off your trip.

PS You do have to remember to put it on!!! :)

"Rid", "off" or similar type lotion or spray type stuff is the solution, I put it on each night and here you go hassle & bitten free..

Ah mozzies the little bastards

In my last few trips i have unfortunately developed an allergic reaction to their bites whereas nowadays i have to use anti histhamine cream and sometimes tablets for their bites......Like a few of the lads have already said spray your room before you go out and an expat put me on to this stuff made by johnson and johnson (the baby oil people) its in a small clear plastic bottle with a light green top you can get it in the villa supermarket and in boots it is non greasy and has a pleasant smell it also absorbs into your skin very quickly and is very very good so much so that even my T.G uses and rates it.

One thing to bear in mind is most of these repellants only last for about 7 hours so if your out on the town come the wee small hours it will have worn off so either take this stuff with you or buy some of the wipes from 7-11 as a back up.

Cheers

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Or maybe the best thing for us tourists is to go when the muzie season is over like after september they aint around then.

Enjoy life,its too short not to.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone needs an effective mozzie repellent just take me with you wherever you go because the bastards love me. :)

I have tried everything from vit b, the stuff with the pink top at 7/11, marmite etc. right through to 100% deet and still get bitten.

Are you guys sure there are mosquitoes in Pattaya? I stopped using my deet lotion after two days and didn't get bit till I moved on to Bangkok. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones they don't find particularly enticing.