IGNORED

New job Yasoton

AlantheBuilder

Alan

Just a quick question I,m after an oil based primer/undercoat for external use,walls/ceilings non metallic any suggestions please?

looking good Al , can't wait for more pics . tradesman at his finest:Clap:

On 18/09/2020 at 09:40, petermik said:

Alan

Just a quick question I,m after an oil based primer/undercoat for external use,walls/ceilings non metallic any suggestions please?

not sure why you would want or need an oil based primer for external walls and ceilings ,if you have problems with staining  on lower walls outside you can use a standard undercoat or buy a preparitory stain damp block to seal before painting  with a recommended  emulsion paint .there are water resistant  types  of emulsion for external  and bathroom applications .TOA sell stain damp block  for rising damp patches -good product .not cheap.

8 hours ago, karandy said:

not sure why you would want or need an oil based primer for external walls and ceilings ,if you have problems with staining  on lower walls outside you can use a standard undercoat or buy a preparitory stain damp block to seal before painting  with a recommended  emulsion paint .there are water resistant  types  of emulsion for external  and bathroom applications .TOA sell stain damp block  for rising damp patches -good product .not cheap.

Predominantly I need it for my outside ceilings...I suspect my builder used normal internal gyproc ceiling panels for the outside as from time to time I get the paint cracking and lifting so I scrape it off and use a normal primer then paint over...after time it lifts again....an oil based primer would not do this as it would seal the surface properly...problem is when I go into HomePro/Watsadu and ask for an oil based primer they look dumbstruck...

18 minutes ago, petermik said:

Predominantly I need it for my outside ceilings...I suspect my builder used normal internal gyproc ceiling panels for the outside as from time to time I get the paint cracking and lifting so I scrape it off and use a normal primer then paint over...after time it lifts again....an oil based primer would not do this as it would seal the surface properly...problem is when I go into HomePro/Watsadu and ask for an oil based primer they look dumbstruck...

i understand 100% -i had the same problem -builders sometimes use a gyproc board coated in a film of plastic to stop damp penetration  and the panel warping  or even falling down .

i scraped all my paint off that was loose -not that which was  filled over the joints  then i painted with true oil based undercoat first as you wish to do .

this is the best way forward 

i bought  a gallon can from global house but others stock it --you have to look yourself -they look at you crazy when you ask for it !

the company i found was  NATIONAL  red and white can with an orange band around the middle   about 5-600 bt  .

good luck -happy hunting .ask for undercoat not primer -primer they use on wood here .

DSCN9750.JPG

DSCN9756.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Better replqce with SCG smart boards .
And paint with a good external wall paint .

i understand 100% -i had the same problem -builders sometimes use a gyproc board coated in a film of plastic to stop damp penetration  and the panel warping  or even falling down .
i scraped all my paint off that was loose -not that which was  filled over the joints  then i painted with true oil based undercoat first as you wish to do .
this is the best way forward 
i bought  a gallon can from global house but others stock it --you have to look yourself -they look at you crazy when you ask for it !
the company i found was  NATIONAL  red and white can with an orange band around the middle   about 5-600 bt  .
good luck -happy hunting .ask for undercoat not primer -primer they use on wood here .
http://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/uploads/monthly_2020_09/DSCN9750.thumb.JPG.69d4432dc5b118b128dc5cb1f828032a.JPG
http://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/uploads/monthly_2020_09/DSCN9756.thumb.JPG.df40aaa47d0a11733b6996b76c256d77.JPG

Sent from my SM-A605G using Tapatalk

On 12/10/2020 at 16:30, AlantheBuilder said:

Better replqce with SCG smart boards .
And paint with a good external wall paint .

Sent from my SM-A605G using Tapatalk

good idea for new builds ,but totally cost ineffective for existing sofits ,

thousands or tens of thousands  to scaffold take down and renew as against 5-600 baht  for a can of good quality undercoat ,and can be done easily off of a ladder .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 18/09/2020 at 09:40, petermik said:

Alan

Try Do home they have a lot of choice and helpful staff 

• 1 month later...

impressive Al , job well done