IGNORED

Are there ATMs at Suvarnabhumi Airport??

vivid2

1 hour ago, Barhop said:

Personally, I am disappointed that Citibank has not opened an ATM at Swampy.  Would make life so easy - no ATM fee for my Citi Plus account.  There are four Citi ATMs located in Bangkok but I go straight to Pattaya from the airport.  And there is no Citi ATM in pattaya :ThumbDown1:

Sorry, forgot to mention that there IS a Citi ATM in Changi which I have used to withdraw $SGD100...was excellent - no ATM fee - Mastercard exchange rate...would love to see the same in Swampy or Pattaya...bugga me there are four in Bangkok grrr  (of course, it would dispense Baht and not Singapore Dollars)

2 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Isn't there also one in baggage claim by the exchange booth? 

For some reason, I thought there was a Siam Commercial Bank ATM there.

BTW, LOVE my Schwab card!  I just got a Fidelity ATM card that also refunds fees/no foriegn ATM charges/etc. that I use as my "back-up."  Need to reload both accounts, as I am leaving soon for another adventure..

Yes,  k bank

1 hour ago, hioctane said:

Most banks take a couple of business days for a transfer to go through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that’s why Schwab taking four days was unacceptable for me and USAA’s instant transfer was so appealing.  

• Like 1

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

4 minutes ago, forqalso said:

Yeah, that’s why Schwab taking four days was unacceptable for me and USAA’s instant transfer was so appealing.  

Yep - just moved money to my Schwab account tonight for my trip that starts in less than 10 days.  Given the 4-day float, I want to be certain it is there before I head out.

1 hour ago, Mick Pattaya said:

However, I have noticed that airport ATM's final conversion offers less baht per se compared to the ones in soi Buakhow or WS.

I don't think that's possible unless the ATMs in the airport are doing the dynamic currency conversion themselves without asking which I have never seen or heard of and don't think is legal. The airport ATMs are on the same network as all other ATMs in the country and the rate is set by VISA or Mastercard if you say no to the dynamic currency conversion when/if you are offered the choice.

Edited by Ohyesuare
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Mick Pattaya said:

My home cards do not require me to choose the conversion process as you allude to, I am only charged the conventional 220bt withdrawal charge. 

However, I have noticed that airport ATM's final conversion offers less baht per se compared to the ones in soi Buakhow or WS.

As Ohyesuare suggested it may be illegal for the bank's ATM, assuming it IS a bank's ATM, to NOT ask you who you want to do the conversion.

They're tricky though. They ask you something like "Do you want us to do the conversion or the CRAPPY network ?" LOL I figure many people unfamiliar would say "Might as well let this bank do it, right ?" so they say "Yes".

In any case, the "correct" answer is "No" - LET the (M/C or Visa) network do it. The networks give the best rate for the day. The bank takes their cut OFF OF the "true" exchange rate and then gives you "their" rate..

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

Charles Schwab debit card,,,,It's free,, and no minimum requirements,,,can leave 1$ in account and load up before u leave for countries outside usa..

Sent from my SM-A705MN using Tapatalk

Also,,,the First Republic Bank debit card....I use this card as primary and charles Schwab as backup.
2 drawbacks is the $3500 minimum month balance to bypass the monthly fees....and it's only has branches in a few states, so not accessible to everyone....Having a local bank beats having a non traditional bank like Charles Schwab....for me..

Also,,,the First Republic Bank debit card....I use this card as primary and charles Schwab as backup.
2 drawbacks is the $3500 minimum month balance to bypass the monthly fees....and it's only has branches in a few states, so not accessible to everyone....Having a local bank beats having a non traditional bank like Charles Schwab....for me..

I believe with TD bank, the minimum is $1500 in order to qualify for refunds on foreign ATM fees. It might be more accessible to some.

On 20/01/2020 at 01:49, Ohyesuare said:

SuperRich to be exact as I think the other ones even in the basement are the same shitty rate as upstairs. And the basement ones close around 10PM I believe so if you come later than that, you're stuck with the shitty airport rates if you need taxi fare.

That's not right. There were even two different SuperRich down there. International & 1965.

In addition there is also a Kasikorn Bank exchange down there that undercut both of the SuperRich booths.

The rates for the exchanges in the basement level are better than Pattaya and Bangkok. If you can get there before they close, I would exchange there.

6 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

That's not right. There were even two different SuperRich down there. International & 1965.

In addition there is also a Kasikorn Bank exchange down there that undercut both of the SuperRich booths.

Interesting. Surprised about the Kasikorn as I have never known them to give better rates.

On 24/01/2020 at 17:40, Bruno123 said:

Has SuperRich closed their airport branch? i can´t find them here https://www.superrichthailand.com/#!/en/contact#branch

19 hours ago, Hedonis said:

Has SuperRich closed their airport branch? i can´t find them here https://www.superrichthailand.com/#!/en/contact#branch

I've been wondering the same thing.  Any reports guys?

Super Rich (Green) , Super Rich (Orange), and Value Plus (Red) at the Airport Link in Swampy used to be excellent places to change money.   While still light years better than the rest of the airport, I wouldn't use them anymore except to perhaps get your first 5000 baht.

IMO, The head office of Super Rich Thailand (Green) is the gold standard of exchange places.   But if changing small amount of money, Vasu on Sukhumvit in Bangkok and TT in Pattaya are almost as good.  Btw, don't overlook Kasikorn in Pattaya as nowadays sometimes they have a better rate for USD than TT which is quite surprising.

Value Plus (Red) and some of the other exchanges at the Airpoint Link are still good places to change baht to USD.  If doing so consider changing baht to 1 dollar bills if it fits in your carryon.  If you do so and could magically snap your fingers and turn your singles into an equivalent amount of 100's and then changed it back to baht you could turn a profit.  The Swampy Value Plus Red rate for changing baht to USD singles is usually only 3 or 4 satang per dollar worse than the Super Rich Green head office.

The Schwab card mentioned above is also a good option.  Similar to the Schwab is a Fidelity card if linked to a Fidelity Cash Management Account (not to a regular brokerage account).  The Schwab/Fidelity cards are especially good in Cambodia since the ATMs spit out USD so unlike in Thailand  Visa is not giving you a small haircut on the exchange rate although Schwab and Fidleity don't impose an additional charge above and beyond the Visa charge..

• 2 weeks later...

They just move in a different block nearby, anyway have a look also on other booths as sometimes you can take better deal than the SR orange brand

Inviato dal mio LYA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk