IGNORED

Are there ATMs at Suvarnabhumi Airport??

vivid2

I've flown into BKK many times and my flights usually land around midnight. I always exchange some US dollars for Thai baht at the arrival hall, although the exchange rate is about 6 percent lower than in Pattaya.

But I read recently that there are some ATMs in the arrival hall, but I've never noticed them. I'd rather get cash out of an ATM than carry cash and get a lousy exchange rate. Anyone on here know anything about these?

Appreciate the info.

There's an ATM even before the immigration area but yes, there are plenty ATMs all around the airport. While the exchange rate is worse in the airport, you will be charged 220 baht for using any ATM and then possibly a charge from your home bank on top of that. If you're just changing a small amount of cash for the taxi then you wouldn't be saving anything to use an ATM instead. 

• Like 3

There's an ATM even before the immigration area but yes, there are plenty ATMs all around the airport. While the exchange rate is worse in the airport, you will be charged 220 baht for using any ATM and then possibly a charge from your home bank on top of that. If you're just changing a small amount of cash for the taxi then you wouldn't be saving anything to use an ATM instead. 

Great advice....but I'm fortunate enough to have a Charles Schwab debit card, and they refund all ATM fees at the end of each month, so it's free to use. That's the main reason I was looking to use it instead of being ripped off by the airport exchanges.

giphy.gif
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vivid2 said:

Great advice....but I'm fortunate enough to have a Charles Schwab debit card, and they refund all ATM fees at the end of each month, so it's free to use. That's the main reason I was looking to use it instead of being ripped off by the airport exchanges.

I also use a Charles Schwab card as well. It's already paid for itself countless times over.

1 hour ago, vivid2 said:

giphy.gif

Just be very careful when you’re using an ATM at the airport. I don’t mean they’re dodgy at all but make sure you don’t make any mistakes that might mean your card gets taken by the machine, endless hassles if that happens at the airport. 

I too have an ATM card that refunds all charges, be it foreign ATM or overseas withdrawls but I’m hesitant to use it at the airport after a long flight where I may be tired / jet lagged and more susceptible to entering a wrong PIN or whatever. 

Personally I take cash for the taxi / SIM card (plus some spare JIC cash) from the airport then hit the ATM at a bank branch in Patts, if things go pear shaped I have the option of being at the bank the next morning. Perhaps  it’s over cautious but as I don’t have CC’s the ATM debit card is my only option. 

• Like 3

Thailand is the Land of Smiles and ATMs.

In main tourist zones, you are never more than 100m from an ATM.

And they are real bank ATMs. Not those EuroNet ATMs you see all over europe now with their poor exchange deal.

2 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

Really? Can you give the location. As far as I know, if stuck not having 20K baht to show, no ATM to withdraw from until you exit immigration. Would be great to know there is.

4 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Really? Can you give the location. As far as I know, if stuck not having 20K baht to show, no ATM to withdraw from until you exit immigration. Would be great to know there is.

Unless they've removed it, I always noticed one ATM on on the left before going up to the first immigration area. 

yes next to the exchange booth

2 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Unless they've removed it, I always noticed one ATM on on the left before going up to the first immigration area. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Charles Schwab debit card,,,,It's free,, and no minimum requirements,,,can leave 1$ in account and load up before u leave for countries outside usa..

Sent from my SM-A705MN using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, markland1510a said:

Many, if you need currency exchange go to the basement, near the City Rail for the best rate.

SuperRich to be exact as I think the other ones even in the basement are the same shitty rate as upstairs. And the basement ones close around 10PM I believe so if you come later than that, you're stuck with the shitty airport rates if you need taxi fare.

On 31/12/2019 at 00:56, rhodie said:

I'm sorry. What does that mean ?

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

Never let the ATM do the conversion for you. If you let your own bank do the conversion, it doesn’t matter which ATM you use.

OP, in the airport there is an ATM practically every 3 meters. I don’t know how you can miss them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, sulu said:

I'm sorry. What does that mean ?

There's a rule that you must be able to show that you have to show you have a certain amount of money.  I suspect this is the minimum amount.  I have never been asked by immigration on any of my many trips since 2000 to prove I had the money.

A friend who was a first time visitor a couple of years ago was asking me about it before his trip.

Isn't there also one in baggage claim by the exchange booth? 

For some reason, I thought there was a Siam Commercial Bank ATM there.

BTW, LOVE my Schwab card!  I just got a Fidelity ATM card that also refunds fees/no foriegn ATM charges/etc. that I use as my "back-up."  Need to reload both accounts, as I am leaving soon for another adventure..

Are there ATMs at Suvarnabhumi Airport??

Yes, but you have to get one that’s arriving, the ones that are departing are often empty 

:FunnyShit1:

• Haha 2

Exchange/conversion rates at airport ATM's is poor compared to city based ones.

................................................................................................................

2 minutes ago, Mick Pattaya said:

Exchange/conversion rates at airport ATM's is poor compared to city based ones.

No difference unless you're clueless enough to let the ATM do the conversion for you as opposed to your home bank.

• Like 3

Personally, I am disappointed that Citibank has not opened an ATM at Swampy.  Would make life so easy - no ATM fee for my Citi Plus account.  There are four Citi ATMs located in Bangkok but I go straight to Pattaya from the airport.  And there is no Citi ATM in pattaya :ThumbDown1:

On 08/01/2020 at 02:40, stlar said:

Charles Schwab debit card,,,,It's free,, and no minimum requirements,,,can leave 1$ in account and load up before u leave for countries outside usa..

Sent from my SM-A705MN using Tapatalk

I tried Schwab and didn’t like it.  On every transfer, they would put a four day hold.  My plans for the account was to only transfer money into it as I needed to withdraw it from a Thai atm. No chance of my main bank account going through any atm skimmer. So, it didn’t work out for me.  I use an USAA account now with the same fee refund and my transfers are available instantly. 

• Like 1

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

I tried Schwab and didn’t like it.  On every transfer, they would put a four day hold.  My plans for the account was to only transfer money into it as I needed to withdraw it from a Thai atm. No chance of my main bank account going through any atm skimmer. So, it didn’t work out for me.  I use an USAA account now with the same fee refund and my transfers are available instantly. 

Most banks take a couple of business days for a transfer to go through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

No difference unless you're clueless enough to let the ATM do the conversion for you as opposed to your home bank.

My home cards do not require me to choose the conversion process as you allude to, I am only charged the conventional 220bt withdrawal charge. 

However, I have noticed that airport ATM's final conversion offers less baht per se compared to the ones in soi Buakhow or WS.

................................................................................................................