IGNORED

Question about technical time between arrival and departure

PattADD

Friend and I are going to Thailand between jan 10 & feb 10. He went today to to get health insurance and the lady quoted him for 32 days as she said technically it was 32 days and he was a bit worried about the 30 day visa and potential problems. Now i've looked at my calendar I guess it is but I think its actually 31 days? Its kind of mind fucking me a bit but anyways we technically arrive in BKK on the 11th of Jan and leave on Feb 10.. should this be okay?

.. should this be okay?

Technically you'll overstay 1 day, so you'll be liable for the fine, whatever that is. But then again I've heard/read stories of people overstaying a day or 2 and nothing's been said.

I guess you won't know until you get to departure immigration...

10 minutes ago, PattADD said:

// we technically arrive in BKK on the 11th of Jan and leave on Feb 10.. should this be okay?

It's counted as 31 days

So you will have 1 day overstay...  :sad:

Not a too big problem, and no fine, but...

Try to not get caught/controlled by Police that last day !  :unsure:

Edited by Oukiva

1 minute ago, OoJohnnyoO said:

Technically you'll overstay 1 day, so you'll be liable for the fine, whatever that is. But then again I've heard/read stories of people overstaying a day or 2 and nothing's been said.

I guess you won't know until you get to departure immigration...

Hmm my buddy is just a bit worried because he has a prior criminal conviction that shouldnt be a problem on the 30 day. Not sure if it would come up at all if he had to extend or deal with immigration.

1 minute ago, Oukiva said:

It's counted as 31 days

So you will have 1 day overstay...  :sad:

Try to not get caught/controlled by Police that day !  :unsure:

Damn cant believe I fucked that up.. changing flights would probably cost more than its worth.. maybe we can do a visa run?

2 minutes ago, PattADD said:

Damn cant believe I fucked that up.. changing flights would probably cost more than its worth.. maybe we can do a visa run?

You can still make an extension at an Immigration Office, like Jomtien

+30 days for a cost of 1900 B, and you will be safe.

Is it worth it?...  :unsure:

Edited by Oukiva

4 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

You can still make an extension at an Immigration Office, like Jomtien

+30 days for a cost of 1900 B, and you will be safe.

Is it worth it?...  :unsure:

Aren't I more likely to have issues just boarding my departing flight then once im actually in Thailand? Feel like thats what im more concerned about. 

Aren't I more likely to have issues just boarding my departing flight then once im actually in Thailand? Feel like thats what im more concerned about. 

Nah you’ll be fine as you have a return ticket.

As suggested the easiest thing to do is extend your initial stamp. The price is fixed. No issues then with amending flights or paying random immigration fines. Do it about 10 days before the initial stamp runs out.

1 minute ago, Kane137 said:

Nah you’ll be fine as you have a return ticket.

As suggested the easiest thing to do is extend your initial stamp. The price is fixed. No issues then with amending flights or paying random immigration fines. Do it about 10 days before the initial stamp runs out.

Not that im trying to be cheap or anything but seems excessive to spend almost 2k baht on visa extension for one day? I read that its 500 baht per day you are over extended.. maybe its better just to do that if it comes up?

3 minutes ago, PattADD said:

No issue boarding your departing flight.

Expect to pay a small fine at immigration for the one day overstay and that will be it.

Just now, Whalley said:

No issue boarding your departing flight.

Expect to pay a small fine at immigration for the one day overstay and that will be it.

I think this is probably our best course of action.

3 minutes ago, PattADD said:

I think this is probably our best course of action.

And cheapest at just ฿500 for the one day.

9 minutes ago, PattADD said:

I read that its 500 baht per day you are over extended.. maybe its better just to do that if it comes up?

2 minutes ago, Whalley said:

And cheapest at just ฿500 for the one day.

In fact it's even zero because they usually don't make you pay a fine for your first day overstay.

The problem is if ever you get checked by Immigration Police on the last day before reaching the airport. The probability is very low, and the fact you have your plane ticket should help, but the consequence could be up to a 5 years ban ...

thailand-overstay.jpg

Not that im trying to be cheap or anything but seems excessive to spend almost 2k baht on visa extension for one day? I read that its 500 baht per day you are over extended.. maybe its better just to do that if it comes up?

Void!

2 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

In fact it's even zero because they usually don't make you pay a fine for your first day overstay.

Even better and very slim chance of getting checked by immigration on your last day which would be your travel day.

4 minutes ago, Kane137 said:
21 minutes ago, PattADD said:

You’ll be overstaying 2 days. You will be stamped in on 10 Jan,

Op arrives on the 11th so he will be just one day over.

• Like 2

have you checked on the rebooking cost with your agent or airline? 

sometimes it's expensive sometimes not.  if you ask nicely and explain that otherwise you'll ne

ed an extension, you may get some grace. 

No doubt the fine print will say that it's up to you to ensure you meet the visa requirements but if you don't ask, you will never know. 

might be worth it for peace of mind as it sounds like you might worry about this during your trip.

also have you considered applying for a 60 day visa online?  looks like it's about 1000b.  pretty cheap and easy for no worries.

Personally, I'd roll the dice on immigration not worrying about it...if Thailand doesn't want my cash for 5 years, there's other places to go!  

ps if you roll the dice, best show up to the airport early just in case...

9 minutes ago, nurass said:

have you checked on the rebooking cost with your agent or airline? 

sometimes it's expensive sometimes not.  if you ask nicely and explain that otherwise you'll ne

ed an extension, you may get some grace. 

No doubt the fine print will say that it's up to you to ensure you meet the visa requirements but if you don't ask, you will never know. 

might be worth it for peace of mind as it sounds like you might worry about this during your trip.

also have you considered applying for a 60 day visa online?  looks like it's about 1000b.  pretty cheap and easy for no worries.

Personally, I'd roll the dice on immigration not worrying about it...if Thailand doesn't want my cash for 5 years, there's other places to go!  

ps if you roll the dice, best show up to the airport early just in case...

I can definitely inquire about the flight change my dude! Its definitely worth looking into.

airlines charge an arm and a leg to change tickets, so forget that option. 

applying for a visa before travelling or a 1900 bht ext at jomtien would deffo be cheaper if it's worrying you

Edited by striderman

no worries mate.  If you can tell me your citizenship, agent, airline, port of departure, I can probably give you a fair idea of whether that will be an option?

5 minutes ago, nurass said:

no worries mate.  If you can tell me your citizenship, agent, airline, port of departure, I can probably give you a fair idea of whether that will be an option?

Yeah bro ill pm you.

5 minutes ago, PattADD said:

I can definitely inquire about the flight change my dude! Its definitely worth looking into.

4 minutes ago, striderman said:

airlines charge an arm and a leg to change tickets, so forget that option. 

applying for a visa before travelling or a 1900 bht ext at jomtien would deffo be cheaper if it's worrying you

usually but not always.  recently moved a flight back one day because of work.  cheap ticket with no flexibility.  but I was going from a full flight to an empty one.  suited the airline as much as me.  You just never know...