Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Question about technical time between arrival and departure

PattADD

9 minutes ago, striderman said:

airlines charge an arm and a leg to change tickets, so forget that option. 

applying for a visa before travelling or a 1900 bht ext at jomtien would deffo be cheaper if it's worrying you

Does online visa app take time though? We leave Jan 10.

What time is your departure  flight on Feb 10 ?

I gave you before the worse scenario, but a very unlikely one IMHO.

Most people in the same case as you have no problem with 1 day.

As the OP doesn't list his country, it is difficult to provide accurate information.

In some countries, the airline will deny boarding without proof of onward travel if attempting 30 day visa exemption.

Regarding travel insurance, you should arrange cover to start when you leave home until your ultimate return.

For my circumstances, departing the UK, I take night flights so require 32 days insurance cover for a Thai visit duration of 30 days.

On 28/12/2019 at 02:06, Oukiva said:

What time is your departure  flight on Feb 10 ?

I gave you before the worse scenario, but a very unlikely one IMHO.

Most people in the same case as you have no problem with 1 day.

Departure flight is just after midnight on the 10th.

On 28/12/2019 at 03:00, bangna said:

As the OP doesn't list his country, it is difficult to provide accurate information.

In some countries, the airline will deny boarding without proof of onward travel if attempting 30 day visa exemption.

Regarding travel insurance, you should arrange cover to start when you leave home until your ultimate return.

For my circumstances, departing the UK, I take night flights so require 32 days insurance cover for a Thai visit duration of 30 days.

From Canada. :)

On 27/12/2019 at 21:37, Oukiva said:

In fact it's even zero because they usually don't make you pay a fine for your first day overstay.

The problem is if ever you get checked by Immigration Police on the last day before reaching the airport. The probability is very low, and the fact you have your plane ticket should help, but the consequence could be up to a 5 years ban ...

thailand-overstay.jpg

I would have thought the bigger concern would have been departing from my home country no?

On 28/12/2019 at 13:00, PattADD said:

...we technically arrive in BKK on the 11th of Jan and leave on Feb 10... should this be okay?

4 hours ago, PattADD said:

Departure flight is just after midnight on the 10th.

I have bent the rules on arrival and departure to get an extra 1-2 days.  In 2015, my CX flight departed BKK at 01:35AM on 12/15/2015, but I cleared immigrations at 10:30PM on 12/14/2015, so my passport was stamped departed Thailand on 12/14/2015.  If I had passed immigrations on 12/15/2015, I would have 1 day overstay. 

I did the same on arrival in 2015 and 2016.  My JL flight arrived BKK at 23:00PM on Day1, but I waited airside for 1:15hr, then passed thru immigrations on Day2 after midnight at 0:15AM.  Both times, my passport was stamped arrived in Thailand on Day2 when I passed thru immigrations, not on my actual date of arrival.

If immigrations carefully checks your flight departure date/time, you can get caught, but I was never questioned.

Edited by joeaf

7 hours ago, PattADD said:

I would have thought the bigger concern would have been departing from my home country no?

Yes, if your airline denies boarding all talk of overstay will be immaterial. They will only see departure time from BKK not when you might pass through Immigration, see 2)

1) ...we technically arrive in BKK on the 11th of Jan and leave on Feb 10... should this be okay?          = 31 days

2) Departure flight is just after midnight on the 10th.             If that means early morning on the 11th  = 32 days

You may be lucky but be prepared to book a throw away ticket at check in in Canada.

5 hours ago, bangna said:

Yes, if your airline denies boarding all talk of overstay will be immaterial. They will only see departure time from BKK not when you might pass through Immigration, see 2)

1) ...we technically arrive in BKK on the 11th of Jan and leave on Feb 10... should this be okay?          = 31 days

2) Departure flight is just after midnight on the 10th.             If that means early morning on the 11th  = 32 days

You may be lucky but be prepared to book a throw away ticket at check in in Canada.

Will they be okay with that? Like lets say they tell me I cant board the plane because I have no proof of onward... can I book a flight right there and still get on my plane? 

When I had a trip of 31 days I got a visa. The chances are you’ll be ok but I don’t take any chances at all with this sort of thing.

Guess it depends where you are. From what I can see, the Thai Consulate in Vancouver does face to face service between 9.30 and 12.30. If it’s not convenient then I understand yiu may not want to do it. I only have to drive 50 minutes to get a visa.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

6 hours ago, PattADD said:

Will they be okay with that? Like lets say they tell me I cant board the plane because I have no proof of onward... can I book a flight right there and still get on my plane? 

Should be acceptable providing you have sufficient time to purchase a new flight and still meet the check in deadline.

I am risk averse and would make sure I meet the conditions prior to going to the airport. Maybe you like to push the envelope.

On 31/12/2019 at 15:04, bangna said:

Should be acceptable providing you have sufficient time to purchase a new flight and still meet the check in deadline.

I am risk averse and would make sure I meet the conditions prior to going to the airport. Maybe you like to push the envelope.

Good assessment. Thanks bud.

Good assessment. Thanks bud.

I’ll be very surprised if they don’t let you board your outgoing flight ‘just’ because your return is out of the initial 30 days. You won’t be the first person to do that. Some people know they already plan to extend. Or they plan to go somewhere else for a week or so, then return to Thailand before flying back home. You actually have a return ticket already. Your typical backpackers often don’t have a set itinerary.

You can book a coach to Cambodia for $35 odd if needed. Or a similarly priced flight if you can find one.