IGNORED

Is Khao Kheow worth just shy of $100 US ?

maxtroy

Yes for those of us who live in LoS, getting tougher. Used to play weekly, this past low season cut down to twice a month.
High season about to kick in, prices will go up. Now looking at playing the 9-hole courses around Sattahip.
No caddies at those courses. Or compulsory carts.

And remember, you may get the male caddies ...!!!![emoji3]
Those two 9 hole courses at Sattahip aren't too bad. Last time i played they were 250 and 300 baht and 20 baht for trolley. They aren't full length courses, except the par 3s. Greens are often tiny, but good practice for the money. The other great place to sharpen your short game is Pratamak soi 4 9 hole par 3. About 370 baht with the annual 500 baht membership

On 28/10/2019 at 03:39, Thamesbank said:

Emerald have just confirmed GREEN FEE 1300 bt from 1st November. Plus 600 bt single use cart and 350 for caddy.

I quoted your rates to a long-established golf organiser. Yesterday, he confirmed a group booking next week with green fee of 1000 baht and single user golf cart price of 400 baht.

Edited by irishstu007

I'd rather look at tits, cunts and arseholes than listen to them!

On 31/10/2019 at 13:36, irishstu007 said:

I quoted your rates to a long-established golf organiser. Yesterday, he confirmed a group booking next week with green fee of 1000 baht and single user golf cart price of 400 baht.

Group bookings can often negotiate a lower price if guaranteeing 12 or more players.

My info came from an organiser at the course last Monday. His group played at the sport day rate of 1150 bt all-in. He asked about November rates and was told 1300 bt green fee.  Even with a 1K gf, 1950 bt is a bit of a steep rise from 1150 bt.

1000 baht looks like the PSC rate, although of course not so many tourists have membership. But then again, it's up to the individual course to check ...

Played KK yesterday. Tee boxes had some issues but the greens were excellent. I would put it on your places to play list. Worth it?.....up to you. 

As last post I played yesterday agree with him, for me a must play course so yes yes yes

I have not played the course but $100 all said and done for a round is not that bad. I would like to play the course and will be in Patts on November 15th if anybody wants to go golfing or needs an extra guy. My handicap is not good +25...lol   I just started golfing again when my wife passed away.

On 03/11/2019 at 00:50, Thamesbank said:

Group bookings can often negotiate a lower price if guaranteeing 12 or more players.

My info came from an organiser at the course last Monday. His group played at the sport day rate of 1150 bt all-in. He asked about November rates and was told 1300 bt green fee.  Even with a 1K gf, 1950 bt is a bit of a steep rise from 1150 bt.

1000 baht looks like the PSC rate, although of course not so many tourists have membership. But then again, it's up to the individual course to check ...

I've found that if you go play with an established golf club/bar the courses seldom check to see if you're a PSC member. They're too busy getting you checked in and onto the course.

That said, if you're going to play 5 or 6 times you probably should get the card. Don't remember how much it is but it cant take but 2 rounds for it to pay for itself.

Emerald is one of my favorite courses. Very challenging. If only the fairways were better,,,,,,,,,, KK is pretty darn good. A bit easier than Emerald but still challenging and fun. Make a par on 9(B(?)) and you've got something to be proud of. 

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

• 2 months later...
On 24/10/2019 at 13:42, maxtroy said:

Just looking at a golfbar schedule and happened on Khao Kheow :

1400  Green fee and caddy fee

250     transport

700    buggy  (optional )

250  comp fee

300  caddie tip

50    caddie drink

2950   baht 

Looks like I will be playing even fewer rounds of golf in thailand this winter .  Even specials run by Treasure Hill roll up to

2000 baht when the chips are all counted .  It really is time to introduce optional caddies if they want to keep

golf affordable for the average ex pat .

If you don't want to play comps try ThaiGerLine golf in Soi Pothole. Not sure of their prices off the top of my head. They have a website that shows their daily day trips.

I find it interesting that some people will happily pay 3k Baht for asST piece of pussy yet complain about the same amount to play a days golf on a good course with transport, caddie and cart. 

That said I play once a week. If it was cheaper I might go twice but it does add up to significant cost 52 weeks a year. 

Edited by Geordie59

Khao Kheow is a legendary course, designed by Pete Dye who also designed Sawgrass, you can see similarities between the two courses i.e. island green and bunker design. Sadly Pete Dye died very recently. KK is definitely worth playing but playing golf long term in Thailand is expensive

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

Khao Kheow is a legendary course, designed by Pete Dye who also designed Sawgrass, you can see similarities between the two courses i.e. island green and bunker design. Sadly Pete Dye died very recently. KK is definitely worth playing but playing golf long term in Thailand is expensive

Khao Kheow was designed by Dye Designs, which was Pete Dye's son Perry's company, that was bailed out by the Japanese as long as he would build courses in his fathers style rather than his own.

In his own words, Pete Dye only ever built courses in the USA and the Dominican Republic.

Pete Dye did turn up years after Khao Kheow opened, and played 9 holes which pleased the club no end :rolleyes:

Khao Kheow is far from legendary IMO.

Edited by Taa_Saparot

1 hour ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Khao Kheow was designed by Dye Designs, which was Pete Dye's son Perry's company, that was bailed out by the Japanese as long as he would build courses in his fathers style rather than his own.

In his own words, Pete Dye only ever built courses in the USA and the Dominican Republic.

Pete Dye did turn up years after Khao Kheow opened, and played 9 holes which pleased the club no end :rolleyes:

Khao Kheow is far from legendary IMO.

It's legendary in Pattaya you plonker, it's design stands out a mile, do you even play golf

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

It's legendary in Pattaya you plonker, it's design stands out a mile, do you even play golf

@Scuba+ Mate that is not N2BN, you can have a say but do not resort to insults. Now apologise to @Taa_Saparot, kiss and make up, and crack on but play nice OK!

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it

Sex is a bit like oxygen, unimportant until you are not getting enough!

www.sugarcanemafia.com

On 16/01/2020 at 11:13, Ping Pong said:

If you don't want to play comps try ThaiGerLine golf in Soi Pothole. Not sure of their prices off the top of my head. They have a website that shows their daily day trips.

Thaigerline is a bit more expensive than other places, but it’s very well run. When I first moved to Patts 10 years ago, I golfed 4 days a week out of there...not cheap, but good fun. Costs 1800 to about 2,200 (inc transport) to play most courses.

On 16/01/2020 at 11:29, Scuba+ said:

Agree, KK is a really good course. One of my faves in Patts, maybe just behind Banghpra.

646A7D1D-C209-4F9D-95A9-99FBE9668323.jpeg

Edited by LOTTELLEE WINNA
  • Like 1

I play in UK, for me Thailand beats the lot 2 weeks, flights hotels and 8 rounds is cheaper than my mates pay in Spain and Portugal for a week, £75 to play KK unbelievable, cheap as chips.

5 weeks to wheels up

• Like 2

Bit late to the party, however I have to say KK is a superb course and a challenge from all the tees. I would rank it up there in my favourite course in Pattaya area. 
As a two week millionaire I do feel for the expat guys as the game isn’t cheap in Pattaya as it once was. 

still deals around.... my pal and I are heading up to Kabinburi Serenity hotel in May for 3 nights and 56 holes of golf at the KBSC which in my eyes a terrific trackHotel owned by French guy Oliver. Lovely hotel,food and rooms.As it’s a public holiday 4th and 6th of May the golfs pushed the price up. 
3 nights room each, breakfast, run up to the course and back, 56 holes(Green Fee,caddy fee only)......6200 bhat each. Awesome deal only carts to add evening meal and a few beers except on Buddha day.

Good to get out the city for a few nights.

• Like 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 17/01/2020 at 23:38, ronthebrummie said:

I play in UK, for me Thailand beats the lot 2 weeks, flights hotels and 8 rounds is cheaper than my mates pay in Spain and Portugal for a week, £75 to play KK unbelievable, cheap as chips.

5 weeks to wheels up

Agree totally. Plus you have a bonus in the evening after a bad round. Or after a good round. Or after anything really. Last time I played in europe it was a shared room with your mate who farts and snores and golf carts were 35 euro

Just had one last thought.

As many of the greens in the Patts area are sand based they put a rubber ring above the plastic up so the hole sides don't collapse.

KK is the only place I have experienced where sometimes that ring is a hair above ground on some holes. A putt on the edge can circumnavigate the hole rather than drop in! Not often, But it has happened to me.

On 20/01/2020 at 17:37, Ping Pong said:

Just had one last thought.

As many of the greens in the Patts area are sand based they put a rubber ring above the plastic up so the hole sides don't collapse.

KK is the only place I have experienced where sometimes that ring is a hair above ground on some holes. A putt on the edge can circumnavigate the hole rather than drop in! Not often, But it has happened to me.

Played there last week and the week before that. The greens were in excellent condition - very fast and true.

Water levels in the lake by the side of C1 were so low there was a mud beach about 10 yards wide out from the black plastic liner - which was green the following week.......

21 hours ago, Kanga said:

Played there last week and the week before that. The greens were in excellent condition - very fast and true.

Water levels in the lake by the side of C1 were so low there was a mud beach about 10 yards wide out from the black plastic liner - which was green the following week.......

That is unusual. I can't remember which 9 it is. You start with a par 5 with the lake all the way down the left side. Then you go to a dogleg right par 4. That par 4 is usually very wet just in front of the tee and down the right side. That's October/ early November weather.

On 17/01/2020 at 15:59, Joethescot said:

Bit late to the party, however I have to say KK is a superb course and a challenge from all the tees. I would rank it up there in my favourite course in Pattaya area. 
As a two week millionaire I do feel for the expat guys as the game isn’t cheap in Pattaya as it once was. 

still deals around.... my pal and I are heading up to Kabinburi Serenity hotel in May for 3 nights and 56 holes of golf at the KBSC which in my eyes a terrific trackHotel owned by French guy Oliver. Lovely hotel,food and rooms.As it’s a public holiday 4th and 6th of May the golfs pushed the price up. 
3 nights room each, breakfast, run up to the course and back, 56 holes(Green Fee,caddy fee only)......6200 bhat each. Awesome deal only carts to add evening meal and a few beers except on Buddha day.

Kabinburi is a great golf course as well as the longest in Thailand for anyone tempted to try the tips at over 8,000 yards. Serenity is an immaculate hotel and the owner Olivier is an amazing host, however he does not own the golf course. The restaurant is also very good with many options. There is also an Onsen spa which is very relaxing.

Not much going on in the town which I don't mind for a nice relaxing holiday.

Curious why 56 holes? Do you mean 54?

33 minutes ago, LuvThaiPussy said:

Kabinburi is a great golf course as well as the longest in Thailand for anyone tempted to try the tips at over 8,000 yards. Serenity is an immaculate hotel and the owner Olivier is an amazing host, however he does not own the golf course. The restaurant is also very good with many options. There is also an Onsen spa which is very relaxing.

Not much going on in the town which I don't mind for a nice relaxing holiday.

Curious why 56 holes? Do you mean 54?

Haha 54 holes not 56 had my sleeping head on when I was typing this..

I have been before and loved the hotel and course. Correct I do think there is anyplace to go in town. We only stayed in the hotel. Is there even a bar for a few nearby? I can’t remember seeing one.

Oliver is a good guy and your right doesn’t own the course, however he isn’t never off it or at the range. 

6300 yards is plenty enough 

On 18/01/2020 at 06:59, Joethescot said:

KBSC add another 1K/round for cart and caddy tip

5 hours ago, Thamesbank said:

Yeah that’s cool and expected. Not an issues.

if I hit petty birdies and the caddy will get more.

8 hours ago, Thamesbank said:

He mentioned carts being extra which unfortunately are 700, but not far off any other decent course these days. No point factoring caddy tip cause that's just "par for the course"