Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

US to BKK Business Class Prices and Service

ChiFlyer

I thought I would break out the Business Class discussion for US originating locations. It really is a different game IMO than what our European friends deal with. I have been a long time AA One World member and have a Platinum for life qualification. Since retiring in 2016, I have been using my points aggressively for ORD-BKK tickets and have succeeded in having 102 points left in my account. I am going to have to start paying for my tickets.

Actually, this is a mixed bad news thing. The awards tickets available through AA have gone to shit over the last several years and I seldom see ones from either JAL or CX and the routes available tend to be less than desirable. I frequently have been doing ORD-DFW-HKG-BKK with a long layover in HKG, sometimes to the extent that I use Marriott points to book a room at the Airport hotel. Good to be getting away from all that.

As you all know, the US based airlines raise prices during the Summer. I will soon be based in Thailand and plan on making one trip a year for 6 weeks or so to see the grand-kids etc. The time to do this is in the Summer, when they are out of school. Using Orbitz to look ahead at July 2020, it appears that the best prices for Business Class are on JAL (one way at about $2500).

I would be interested in hearing any updates or opinions on this topic.

Time to start flying economy when you are retired, on a budget and have used all your miles earned during employment.

17 minutes ago, cytolliver said:

Time to start flying economy when you are retired, on a budget and have used all your miles earned during employment.

I am not on that much of a budget. I am fortunate and busted my ass to be that fortunate, I can afford Business Class.

• Like 2

1. Use IFTTT.com to set up IFTTT alerts for new new threads on flyertalk.com premium fare deals. You'll get mostly alerts that wont be applicable to you, but a couple of times a year you will get some real gems, like the cathay mistake F and J fares from Vietnam.

2. Flyertalk also has a section for qatar deals that is worth setting up alerts.

3. If you have the amex platinum card, there are often some great deals for members only.

4. Set up alerts thru google flights or kayak

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Booking that far in advance, I wonder if you would get more competitive fares flying to/from LAX, then getting a cheap ticket between LAX and ORD on Southwest.

I think you might beat 2500 in business class with Chinese carriers. 

19 minutes ago, ludwighigh said:

Booking that far in advance, I wonder if you would get more competitive fares flying to/from LAX, then getting a cheap ticket between LAX and ORD on Southwest.

I think you might beat 2500 in business class with Chinese carriers. 

Good idea on the LAX fares. I will check that out.

I am of the opinion, formed with zero experience, that it is best to avoid the Chinese carriers. I have been told by several people that connecting in their airports is a pain and the planes tend to be uncomfortable seating wise.

I would look at Avianca mile program if you are booking that far advance.  That program transfer partner with most of credit card programs and they sell their miles pretty cheap.  I once just bought all miles for first class roundtrip on ANA/Thai from LAX for $3300 once.   Usually if you book almost a year out you can find flights easily on EVA through the Aviance program.  Plus out of ORD I think Star Alliance airline maybe easier with more options.

I booked Delta in Premium Select about 2 months ago for $1292.  Raleigh to Atlanta (Comfort +) then Atlanta to Seoul (premium Select) then Seoul to Bangkok on Korean Economy.  Same thing on return.  Will be flying on Sunday night and will be able to give better ideas on how it was then.

On 25/09/2019 at 00:02, ChiFlyer said:

Good idea on the LAX fares. I will check that out.

I am of the opinion, formed with zero experience, that it is best to avoid the Chinese carriers. I have been told by several people that connecting in their airports is a pain and the planes tend to be uncomfortable seating wise.

While I agree with the other points, China Eastern (reportedly) and China Southern (personal experience) both have lie flat seating in business class that is very comfortable.

I have flown China Southern biz class through Guangzhou twice and would do so again (and that was before their new Terminal started operations).

The Taiwanese carriers - China Air and EVA - also both get decent reviews.  Having flown the multiple times, I think EVA's business class is fantastic.

• Like 2

I was looking at flights today and Air China has business class fares from the US in November for $1900. Sure the service and experience wouldn't be the same as better airlines, but you still get a lie down seat. 

I've been researching flights mainly from LAX-BKK for a long time.  Right now there are some pretty good deals to be had.  Note, I won't consider it business class unless it is lie flat seat and no one climbs over anyone else to get up.  

Recently have seen some killer deals on Hong Kong Air in the near $2000 range RT.  Route is LAX-HK-BKK and layovers are reasonable.   Note the dates I am searching are Oct 25 to Nov 25.  Different times of year might be significantly more I don't know.  

'I'll be watching this thread.  Good idea.

46 minutes ago, fatjack1 said:

Recently have seen some killer deals on Hong Kong Air in the near $2000 range RT.  Route is LAX-HK-BKK and layovers are reasonable.   Note the dates I am searching are Oct 25 to Nov 25.  Different times of year might be significantly more I don't know.  

Review from last year on that Hong Kong Air flight - looks pretty god (good tip on seat selection if traveling solo)

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/hong-kong-airlines-a350-business/

7 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Review from last year on that Hong Kong Air flight - looks pretty god (good tip on seat selection if traveling solo)

I was considering a visit in October (still am) and right now this is the airline I would book.  Not the $561 mistake fare of course but even directly with them (instead of Kayak etc) it is near $2000 and perfect times.   The china airlines are also tempting but I'd rather transit in HK than PEK or other mainland airports.  Have heard a few bad reviews about them.

4 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

While I agree with the other points, China Eastern (reportedly) and China Southern (personal experience) both have lie flat seating in business class that is very comfortable.

I have flown China Southern biz class through Guangzhou twice and would do so again (and that was before their new Terminal started operations).

The Taiwanese carriers - China Air and EVA - also both get decent reviews.  Having flown the multiple times, I think EVA's business class is fantastic.

I am talking that China Southern business class itinerary from LAX to BKK tomorrow night.  I paid $1960 round trip for business, which is basically unbeatable.  Also, the itinerary leaves LAX late at night (a little earlier than the EVA flights from LAX), and leaves BKK late in the day (almost as late as the EVA flights), so you basically gain a day on the ground compared to ANA or United itineraries. 

Instead of taking the shorter connection through Guangzhou, I am opting for a longer layover (a flight leaving at 12:30 from CAN) so that the LAX-BKK leg is in business as well.  Otherwise you get an older A320/A321 and wind up in coach for that leg (which I think is flight 357). 

I thought the "hard product" (plane, seats, etc.) was very good the last time I flew China Southern (upper deck on the A380 is very quiet), but the food and service was only OK.  Acceptable, but bring a few candy bars and an extra bottle of water in case you don't like the food too much.

I thought the airport in Guangzhou was very hot at the early arrival time of the flight, and the A/C was not until several hours later.  This time, I am getting out of the airport and catching a quick nap at the Pullman hotel between the terminals.  (Chinese visa is required to leave the airport to do this, BTW.)

EVA business is excellent if you can afford it.  I have done their premium economy many times from LAX-BKK and it was a very reasonable compromise from a cost vs. comfort perspective.

Edited by ludwighigh
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

+1 on that inside window seat on the A350.  I have tried it on a HKG-BKK flight and it is excellent, extra room and very private.

Chiflyer,

A decent thread and I have a few suggestions for you..

1.  Do you have AMEX? I have been moving AMEX points over to Cathay and booking business class to BKK through HK.  Business Fares have been 85,000 each way to BKK (which is fantastic)

2.  You have probably seen ads for "discount business class" fare services, etc.  I actually used one last year to go to Thailand Business Class in December.  Ticket on Air France was about $3500...which was only about $1200 more than coach at that time.  Well worth the extra $$

3.  Polaris on United is nice, but way overpriced for both $$ and points, but it is comfy.

4.  From chicago, probably best to go one stop, but there are three airports from NYC, with tons of options if you are willing to make the "extra" stop.  

I would be very wary of travelling through Hong Kong for the foreseeable future - which is why I guess there are many cheap fares available through there at the moment. Even though you’re just connecting, there’s still no guarantee there won’t be disruption. Staff unable to get to airport etc etc.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

On 28/09/2019 at 14:26, davidge said:

I would be very wary of travelling through Hong Kong for the foreseeable future - which is why I guess there are many cheap fares available through there at the moment. Even though you’re just connecting, there’s still no guarantee there won’t be disruption. Staff unable to get to airport etc etc.

I have connected through there fairly recently (Sept. 12th) and there was no impact. They seem to have gotten the entrance to the airport under control. Although I enjoy spending a few days in Hong Kong and/or Macau, I would not do so at this time or for the foreseeable future. I suspect many people feel this way and that will keep some good connection fare opportunities in play. My crystal ball may be recalled at any moment. :)

On 28/09/2019 at 11:35, lev123 said:

Chiflyer,

1.  Do you have AMEX? I have been moving AMEX points over to Cathay and booking business class to BKK through HK.  Business Fares have been 85,000 each way to BKK (which is fantastic)

4.  From chicago, probably best to go one stop, but there are three airports from NYC, with tons of options if you are willing to make the "extra" stop. 

Some good points. I do not have an Amex. I use a Capital One Venture, which lets me apply my accumulated points against any travel related purchase.

I had not thought about NYC. I will take a look at both it and LAX. Really do not have my date set in stone yet. The best route to BKK out of ORD is CX through HKG, but it tends to be pricey for Business Class, although I have seen it move quickly at times. I should give it a look now, since the Hong Kong problems seem to be escalating again.

I have a Cap One Venture card, as well. Their points transfer to EVA at a rate of 2 Cap One points to 1.5 EVA miles (but each USD spent = 2 Cap One points).

EVA is 75,000 miles each way in biz class (that’s from LAX - not sure if the same from ORD), so 100,000 Cap One points is a one way biz class ticket. EVA does one-stop service from ORD to BKK (connect at TPE).

While you can use them vs the fare, I think that same 100,000 points only reimburses you $1,000, so using them for award travel appears much more lucrative.

Actually, the ability to transfer to EVA is precisely WHY I got that card!

10X points for spend at hotels.com can be a pretty sweet perk, too.

I’m not sure how many EVA miles are required for Premium Economy, but that may be worth looking into, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are flying out of LAX I would recommend EVA air.  I have flown LAX BKK with them for the past 5 years and have never been disappointed They have the best flight times, usually a 2 hour stopover in Taipei.  The sevice is great, the food is good, and they have lie flat seats

9 hours ago, patman said:

If you are flying out of LAX I would recommend EVA air.  I have flown LAX BKK with them for the past 5 years and have never been disappointed They have the best flight times, usually a 2 hour stopover in Taipei.  The sevice is great, the food is good, and they have lie flat seats

Back when they were priced better I agree.  Flew them for years.  They suddenly decided to raise their prices by a lot.  Some alternatives exist that are significantly less expensive now.  Sad because I liked the airline.  Good service.  Good seats.  Great times.

25 minutes ago, fatjack1 said:

Back when they were priced better I agree.  Flew them for years.  They suddenly decided to raise their prices by a lot.  Some alternatives exist that are significantly less expensive now.  Sad because I liked the airline.  Good service.  Good seats.  Great times.

They got significantly more expensive out of LHR about 3 years ago as well. They would be my first choice LHR-BKK-LHR as they’re much, much better than the other 2 Direct options (BA & Thai) and I choose direct whenever I can. 5 years ago I got them for around £1500, 4 years ago around £1700 but never less than around £2150 for any of my dates now. Most other airlines have not gone up at all in that time. (Sorry, slightly off topic I know :-)

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

24 minutes ago, davidge said:

They got significantly more expensive out of LHR about 3 years ago as well. They would be my first choice LHR-BKK-LHR as they’re much, much better than the other 2 Direct options (BA & Thai) and I choose direct whenever I can. 5 years ago I got them for around £1500, 4 years ago around £1700 but never less than around £2150 for any of my dates now. Most other airlines have not gone up at all in that time. (Sorry, slightly off topic I know :-)

Yeah in the states they gradually raised from $3200 to $3500 and then suddenly $4500.  I can find alternatives with slightly longer connections and slightly lower service for near $2000.  I can't justify their cost any longer.