Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

US to BKK Business Class Prices and Service

ChiFlyer

On 30/09/2019 at 18:43, fatjack1 said:

Back when they were priced better I agree.  Flew them for years.  They suddenly decided to raise their prices by a lot.  Some alternatives exist that are significantly less expensive now.  Sad because I liked the airline.  Good service.  Good seats.  Great times.

I've been looking at Eva prices out of ORD. Basic Business for next Summer goes for about $3200 one way. I like the schedule as it leaves ORD a little after midnight and has a 4 hour Taipei layover getting me into BKK very late morning. I will be keeping an eye on this one.

In looking over Eva's Business Class, I see on their web site that they have 3 classes of Business Class (Basic, Laurel, and Royal Laurel). From the pics and verbiage on their site, it appears that the Basic Business Class seats do not fully recline and you also have a neighbor sitting next to you. At the price they are charging ($3200 one way for Basic) this does not sound all that great. From ORD to TPE it is a 15 hour flight.

15 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

In looking over Eva's Business Class, I see on their web site that they have 3 classes of Business Class (Basic, Laurel, and Royal Laurel). From the pics and verbiage on their site, it appears that the Basic Business Class seats do not fully recline and you also have a neighbor sitting next to you. At the price they are charging ($3200 one way for Basic) this does not sound all that great. From ORD to TPE it is a 15 hour flight.

The basic business class seats are for regional flights on aircraft like A321s. They have a range of 4000 miles so are unlikely to be used on a 7000 mile route like ORD-TPE.

50 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

17 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

The basic business class seats are for regional flights on aircraft like A321s. They have a range of 4000 miles so are unlikely to be used on a 7000 mile route like ORD-TPE.

I am 99.9% sure the the long haul flight from USA are all Royal Laurel.

Are you using a fare tracker app or website?  I've never used one, but curious to hear which you are using and why.

BTW, given my earlier posts about transferring Cap One points to EVA, purchasing the flight and crediting the miles to an EVA account would also go a long ways toward your next trip. 

Looking at their website (and assuming that I am reading their chart correctly!), even with a cheap biz class fare, I think you're still looking at 125% of the miles.  Based on my rough calculations, that should net you about 11,250 miles each way.

45 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Are you using a fare tracker app or website?  I've never used one, but curious to hear which you are using and why.

BTW, given my earlier posts about transferring Cap One points to EVA, purchasing the flight and crediting the miles to an EVA account would also go a long ways toward your next trip. 

I am using Eva's web site. I am reluctant to purchase air tickets through a 3rd party. I did it once through Expedia and had a devil of a time making a change. I greatly prefer to interact directly with the carrier.

The ORD-BKK flight that I am interested in has prices for all 3 classes of Business, but the Royal Laurel is nearly double Basic Business. Given thinkingallowed's info on the plane types, it sounds like I get the seat type I want for the ORD-TPE segment, but miss out on the Royal Laurel perks (Better food, some priority features, probably a higher point multiplier), that are not worth the price differential to me. It's really the seating comfort and decent enough food that I care about, with the seating being number 1 by far for a 15 hour flight.

I noticed your earlier comment about the Capital One point transfers and that makes a lot of sense to me. Will likely go that route for my 2021 trip to the US. Thanks for the info.

Edited by ChiFlyer

2 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I am using Eva's web site. I am reluctant to purchase air tickets through a 3rd party. I did it once through Expedia and had a devil of a time making a change. I greatly prefer to interact directly with the carrier.

The ORD-BKK flight that I am interested in has prices for all 3 classes of Business, but the Royal Laurel is nearly double Basic Business. Given thinkingallowed's info on the plane types, it sounds like I get the seat type I want for the ORD-TPE segment, but miss out on the Royal Laurel perks (Better food, some priority features, probably a higher point multiplier), that are not worth the price differential to me. It's really the seating comfort and decent enough food that I care about, with the seating being number 1 by far for a 15 hour flight.

I noticed your earlier comment about the Capital One point transfers and that makes a lot of sense to me. Will likely go that route for my 2021 trip to the US.

I'd be surprised if EVA were giving different  foods etc to passengers up front.

Different ticket tiers are generally as you say millage multipliers, ease of change and fee, cancellation possibility and fee.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I noticed your earlier comment about the Capital One point transfers and that makes a lot of sense to me. Will likely go that route for my 2021 trip to the US. Thanks for the info.

The different fares will have different cancellation/change fees and different points accrual. Eva are actually pretty generous over changes etc so even the cheapest fare doesn’t usually have the very high cancellation and change fees you get with some other airlines.

Same food choice, free seat selection and same baggage with all 3 tiers of fare.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

10 hours ago, thinkingallowed said:

I'd be surprised if EVA were giving different  foods etc to passengers up front.

Yeah really, it did not make sense to me either as it would complicate their operational management to the extent that it would probably affect their bottom line. Still they speak to this on their web site. My best guess is this is again something tied to their more regional routes like you mentioned before.

On a somewhat different note.

When I started this thread, I was looking ahead to identify good targets for my return trip to Thailand, after resolving the last of my USA affairs. My plan at this time is to spend most of my time in Thailand, after I return in July 2020. I will likely get back to the US once a year for 6 weeks or so probably in July. My son and daughter-in-law are high school science teachers and this is also when my grandchildren are off from school.

Obviously I can not purchase return tickets that far in advance. ORD-BKK in July 2020 and BKK-ORD in July 2021. I have heard of open end Jaw purchases where one buys a round trip ticket with the return date being unspecified. I have never done this and am unsure of the rules. I would also guess they vary by carrier.

I will do some internet searches to understand the topic better than I do, but was wondering if anyone had experience with this.

Edited by ChiFlyer

Sounds like I am looking up the wrong skirt on this one.

An open-jaw flight is one that, in the simplest terms, flies from Point A to Point B, then from Point C back to Point A. There are many reasons for booking an open-jaw ticket. If you plan on touring a specific region or doing a multi-destination trip, you can often save a lot of time and money with booking one.

What I am really interested in is an Open Ticket.

To buy an open ticket you will usually have to go through the airline or a travel agent (i.e. not a website). Restrictions vary with price. All open tickets must be used within a specific timeframe (at best 1 year). They are often only available for business class etc.

Revised question has has anyone ever done this?

Edited by ChiFlyer

9 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Sounds like I am looking up the wrong skirt on this one.

An open-jaw flight is one that, in the simplest terms, flies from Point A to Point B, then from Point C back to Point A. There are many reasons for booking an open-jaw ticket. If you plan on touring a specific region or doing a multi-destination trip, you can often save a lot of time and money with booking one.

What I am really interested in is an Open Ticket.

To buy an open ticket you will usually have to go through the airline or a travel agent (i.e. not a website). Restrictions vary with price. All open tickets must be used within a specific timeframe (at best 1 year). They are often only available for business class etc.

Revised question has has anyone ever done this?

You can also purchase a RT ticket where one way is restricted and the other is refundable/changeable without fees.    You would only be liable for difference in fare, but this is usually lower on the return leg, and if you’re flexible in your travel plans back to Thailand, this would allow you to minimize any additional costs as well. 

On 26/09/2019 at 16:08, scottbo said:

I booked Delta in Premium Select about 2 months ago for $1292.  Raleigh to Atlanta (Comfort +) then Atlanta to Seoul (premium Select) then Seoul to Bangkok on Korean Economy.  Same thing on return.  Will be flying on Sunday night and will be able to give better ideas on how it was then.

The PS product and mileage upgrade to D1 seems to be a good balance between cost/miles spend/miles earned for attaining business class on one’s own dime.  

2 hours ago, momo5 said:

The PS product and mileage upgrade to D1 seems to be a good balance between cost/miles spend/miles earned for attaining business class on one’s own dime.  

I’m not sure I’m following what you’re saying since PS is premium economy not business class. Do you mean flying PS instead of economy as a way of earning more miles for a future business class award?

EDIT: penny just dropped, I think. Do you mean buying PS and then using miles to upgrade to business?

Edited by bgtp

On 02/10/2019 at 15:25, bgtp said:

EDIT: penny just dropped, I think. Do you mean buying PS and then using miles to upgrade to business?

Yup.  That’s it.  

• 3 months later...

Getting ready to pull the trigger on an RT ticket from BKK to ORD. EVA is still looking like a good way to go. Will look over the options in about one week and the decide what to do. I am leaving BKK early in Songkran, concluding some legal matters in the US, and returning to BKK in late July. I am considering a few day layover in Taipei, if I fly EVA, which I probably will. Their BKK-ORD schedules work really well.

Edited by ChiFlyer

ChiFlyer, good thread as US to Thailand is one long trip.

Yesterday in doing my weekly search for reasonable business class fares on airlines considered with mostly positive reviews, I found and booked.  After a long time learning from so many (thanks!) I am now set to travel for my newbie trip in October.

I booked Qatar business class from ORD to BKK for a total of $2800.  Happy to report as well that 3 of my 4 flights round trip are in Qsuites!

This the best I have seen and on a highly rated business class.  Not sure of the price for your dates but worth a look.

China Airlines allow the return half of a round trip to be changed up to a year, with no fee.  You just have to keep pushing out the date of your flight. 

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill