IGNORED

Noise cancelling headphones / earbuds

johnc57

For my upcoming trip I'm thinking I will get some noise canceling headphones or earbuds. 

I'm wondering what you have and would you recommend them?

I realize headphones will cancel the noise better but I am leaning towards earbuds as I think they may be more comfortable to wear while sleepin g. 

So... let's hear it, or not :)

I have Sony ear buds, think I paid 6000 baht.  Sound is great, fit good, biggest limitation is 2 hour battery but they’ve doubled that in the new version. 

Retired

Bose. Best thing I bought. I got headphones as I don’t like earbuds

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

Sony WH-1000XM3

Near perfect noise cancellation and pretty comfortable. 

The new Bose 700 looks interesting but not sure about comfort.

I've used Bose ones for over 10 years in the different variants; currently using in ears which are rechargeable from the in flight entertainment console, great sound, noise cancelling and fairly comfortable.  :wink:

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

So... let's hear it, or not [emoji4]

Bose QC35 are often mentioned as one of the best noise cancelling headphones around, but carry a high price to match.

I had a pair of Sony on-ears that I used for flying once but found them uncomfortable when trying to sleep, so I switched to in-ears.
I currently have a pair of Jabra wireless in-ears but only use those when walking through airports, riding taxis, buses, trains etc...
For the flight I use some cheapie Sennheiser in-ears that do a good enough job to drown out the plane noise, but are a lot more comfortable to sleep with.

I have the previous generation of these earbuds. They are good but battery is not long enough.

The new generation has solved that issue. Not cheap. I also have the Bose, these are better.

23 minutes ago, wingnutv said:

Sony WH-1000XM3

Near perfect noise cancellation and pretty comfortable. 

The new Bose 700 looks interesting but not sure about comfort.

There good, I have Sony WH-1000M2 I am waiting for the new release of the Sony WH-1000M4. This should be released sometime soon.  

I'm using TaoTronics BH-22 headphones the whole flight and they are good enough for me. They can't be compared to the Bose or Sony noise canceling but for the price they are a no brainer for me. They are often on sale for under 40$. Quality and comfort are also reasonable. I've tried earbuds, but i can't keep them in my ears for hours. And as long as you're not sleeping on the side, over ears shouldn't be a problem.

I bought Anker soundcore space NC headphones and they are dope, highly recommended and reviewed online, as well as by me, obviously, I paid 99 bucks and they are currently on sale for 79, think a brand new version came out as well for a similar price. 

When I was researching noise cancelling headphones I found these were often compared to the higher end Sony and Bose and would often come out on top. 

Anker is probably my favorite brand of electronic stuff and I got tons of their shit, so I can't say enough good things. 

4 hours ago, Piece Corp said:

I have Sony ear buds, think I paid 6000 baht.  Sound is great, fit good, biggest limitation is 2 hour battery but they’ve doubled that in the new version. 

I have the Sony head phones and they work great on the plane to cut back the noise level.

I also use them when not watching a movie or listen to music to help with the surrounding noise.

There are about 20 % what the Bose sell for and I didn't notice that much difference in the sound quality.

LeoTex 

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

3 hours ago, Jake.houston said:

I have the previous generation of these earbuds. They are good but battery is not long enough.

The new generation has solved that issue. Not cheap. I also have the Bose, these are better.

I have these and they are wonderful.  Sont finally got me to leave BOSE.  :)

Over the ear headphones for sure. In ear or on ear will get uncomfortable and not be as effective for noise cancellation. Over the ear comfort while flying and trying to sleep takes some getting used to, but nothing a neck pillow can't solve for. I fly 10+ times per year and have used this style of headphones since 2014.

I've used Bose 2nd gen quiet comfort and the Sony 1000-m2 (model # may be slightly off but they are last year's over the ear model).

In general Bose vs Sony : Bose wins on comfort and sound quality, Sony wins on price ~USD$100 cheaper I believe. That said I don't think that Bose is worth the extra pricetag.

Keep in mind I'm comparing a Bose model that's 3 years older than the Sony model. So check product reviews for the most up to date specs. 

I’ve had Bose QC3 for over 10 years.  They are great, fantastic battery life.  Had to replace the padding bits a few times but eBay is your friend for knock offs.

I have the Bose qc35, superb quality and comfortable to wear, my friend bought a pair after trying mine, and he’s tight as!!

On 14/09/2019 at 07:29, keepitfun said:

Had to replace the padding bits a few times...

That seems to be quite common. I'm on my second pair of Bose and I don't think their build quality lives up to the price-tag. I'll be looking elsewhere next time.

On 13/09/2019 at 22:58, MF-AJ said:

I bought Anker soundcore space NC headphones and they are dope, highly recommended and reviewed online, as well as by me, obviously, I paid 99 bucks and they are currently on sale for 79, think a brand new version came out as well for a similar price. 

When I was researching noise cancelling headphones I found these were often compared to the higher end Sony and Bose and would often come out on top. 

Anker is probably my favorite brand of electronic stuff and I got tons of their shit, so I can't say enough good things. 

I’m a recent convert to Anker’s products. 

For cheap in ear noise canceling headphones I’d recommend their soundbud surge...

https://technicallywell.com/anker-soundbuds-surge-bluetooth-headphones-review/

battery life is only six hours but at the price you can afford to have two pairs. 

On 14/09/2019 at 07:29, keepitfun said:

I’ve had Bose QC3 for over 10 years.  They are great, fantastic battery life.  Had to replace the padding bits a few times but eBay is your friend for knock offs.

Same with me as to having to replace the padding. I'm still using the QC 15 that I bought in 2009 when they first came out. Took advantage of a great trade in program for my old OC 2.

In the ten years I've been using the QC 15 I've replaced the ear cuff padding three times and the headband once. What I've noticed is the heat and humidity in SEA is brutal on the synthetic covering the foam padding. Last replacement I ordered through Lazada at a cost of about $5 vs the $35 I spent on the Bose replacements five years earlier. The headband also needed replacing, but found a zippered covering on Lazada for 150B.

I find the QC 15 over the ear more comfortable than in the ear models. On the long flights I use foam ear plugs for sleeping as I find sleeping on earbuds uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, Fumbduck said:

That seems to be quite common. I'm on my second pair of Bose and I don't think their build quality lives up to the price-tag. I'll be looking elsewhere next time.

Did you trade up for a newer model of Bose, or was it b/c you were having problems with the internal electronics? As for padding replacement being common, I agree. But then again I see it as normal wear and tear of something that gets frequent use. Not exactly a hit against Bose build quality, unless it's a malfunction of the electronics.

Bose QC35 II and the Sony WH-1000xM3 are both great for flights.

I suffer from PTSD, Post Thailand Stress Disorder =P

sony wh-1000X3  Are well worth the investment . If you travel regularly . As well as blocking out background noise . They are good for watching movies and listening to music .                                On all most all youtube reviews .Sony came out as the winner.   It may be worth waiting for  the new Sony headphones to come out.... However they are a luxury item .   

If you only travel once or twice a year. You might as well get a decent set for about 5000 bt. 

I have been a big fan of Bose for a long time. I just ordered these last night for nights when the Boy Bars down the street have a late night party. They are on sale.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bose-sound-sport-free-50edr-tws-ipx7-bluetooth-50-earbuds-sports-i356872359-s699156519.html

My QC ( not wireless) headphones have taken a beating over the years. The clasp for the battery case broke recently and I am going to replace the headphones. Duct tape should work until then. I figure I will do that when I am back in the US, as they will probably be cheaper there and I do not need them with the noise reduction feature until then.

Archived