IGNORED

Flying from the states...

Chicagoarc

I have only flown on EVA in Economy but I thought the service was great.  

Food was OK and Inflight entertainment was good.

Once again for me it's the flight times.  I can work the day I leave and try to sleep on the flight.  Taipei is a easy transfer.  Nice and clean airport.  

Also you can find nice prices on the flights.

On 27/08/2019 at 21:01, Luv2Phuket said:

If you have Priority Pass, hit up PF Changs for $28 in free food and drinks....

My priority pass (thru Amex Platinum) just notified me that the non lounge options were being terminated.  I used to hit Barney's Beanery whenever I was at LAX.  It was a hell of a deal.  Get a great meal then head to the airport lounge.

My priority pass (thru Amex Platinum) just notified me that the non lounge options were being terminated.  I used to hit Barney's Beanery whenever I was at LAX.  It was a hell of a deal.  Get a great meal then head to the airport lounge.

Yes - I should have clarified that my statement applied to NON-AMEX Priority Pass memberships.

While I have one thru AMEX, I luckily also have one through Citi, which still gets me the food credit.

I think Barney’s is now gone from Priority Pass.

FWIW, I highly recommend anyone with a Priority Pass membership download their App. It not only gives you a rundown on all lounges/restaurants at a given airport, but also includes an “electronic card” feature - I had forgotten my card(s) once, and that saved me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not the cheapest option out there, but we just got a new option for travel to BKK -- Singapore Airlines has now started their non-stop service between Seattle and Singapore - 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/singapore-airlines-is-now-flying-nonstop-from-seattle-to-singapore/

This deal was highlighted on Twitter earlier today -- Chicago to BKK for $584 RT via American (involves 2 stops on the way in, but only 1 on the way back)

https://www.theflightdeal.com/2019/09/03/american-584-chicago-bangkok-thailand-roundtrip-including-all-taxes/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If you're chasing AA status, 19,100 EQMs for less than $600 is a pretty good deal.

Of course, being wedged into an AA coach seat for that flight might be a little brutal....

4 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

This deal was highlighted on Twitter earlier today -- Chicago to BKK for $584 RT via American (involves 2 stops on the way in, but only 1 on the way back)

https://www.theflightdeal.com/2019/09/03/american-584-chicago-bangkok-thailand-roundtrip-including-all-taxes/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If you're chasing AA status, 19,100 EQMs for less than $600 is a pretty good deal.

Of course, being wedged into an AA coach seat for that flight might be a little brutal....

That is a beautiful price, but the ride out is pretty rough. Glad you shared it. 

47 minutes ago, Chicagoarc said:

That is a beautiful price, but the ride out is pretty rough. Glad you shared it. 

For shits and giggles, I pulled up an AA LAX-HKG flight.  While they have first, business, premium economy and economy on that International route, they DO still have a few rows designated as Main Cabin Extra (bulkhead, exit row and a few others).  These can be booked for free by Platinum AAdvantage members (and up).

The flights in mid-October that I looked at were not that bad -- less than $500 RT in economy (for 14,000+ EQMs).  Problem is the exit rows and bulkhead on those planes have the TV and tray table in the armrest, so it doesn't move AND it makes the seat is narrower.  I rarely opt for exit rows on AA domestic flights because of this, so I doubt I would want to be stuck in one for 14 hours!

For shits and giggles, I pulled up an AA LAX-HKG flight.  While they have first, business, premium economy and economy on that International route, they DO still have a few rows designated as Main Cabin Extra (bulkhead, exit row and a few others).  These can be booked for free by Platinum AAdvantage members (and up).
The flights in mid-October that I looked at were not that bad -- less than $500 RT in economy (for 14,000+ EQMs).  Problem is the exit rows and bulkhead on those planes have the TV and tray table in the armrest, so it doesn't move AND it makes the seat is narrower.  I rarely opt for exit rows on AA domestic flights because of this, so I doubt I would want to be stuck in one for 14 hours!
I think they also went 10 across in steerage on those planes. So those seats will be extra narrow.

Then again, a couple of ambien, and you'll never know the difference

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, basket case said:

I think they also went 10 across in steerage on those planes. So those seats will be extra narrow.

Then again, a couple of ambien, and you'll never know the difference

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A couple of the Main Cabin Extra rows are 2-4-2, but the rest of economy IS 3-4-3.  

I get to enjoy AA economy to London from Chicago in a few weeks. I will have to remember the layouts and what type of plane I’m on, and apply that to my next trip to LoS.  I’ve gotten lucky booking in November the last 2 trips.  I don’t think I can wait that long again.  Fewer flights from O’Hare, and I’m ready to be back there again!

3 minutes ago, Chicagoarc said:

I get to enjoy AA economy to London from Chicago in a few weeks. I will have to remember the layouts and what type of plane I’m on, and apply that to my next trip to LoS.  

Web site seat guru has plans of most planes with notes of seat sizes etc. It tells you the plane type on what route with what airline.

A helpful guide.

1 hour ago, Bonkabit said:

Web site seat guru has plans of most planes with notes of seat sizes etc. It tells you the plane type on what route with what airline.

A helpful guide.

Be sure to check the User comments in the lower left column on SeatGuru - comments re individual seats that may provide more helpful information.

Some think it’s weird but I believe it’s best to just fly straight and get it over with. Maybe cause I’m young.. but I like to stay up the night before so I’m really tired. I try and sleep at least half the flight. Melatonin help... and having Netflix shows/movies downloaded ready to go. 

7 minutes ago, Brianmills808 said:

Some think it’s weird but I believe it’s best to just fly straight and get it over with. Maybe cause I’m young.. but I like to stay up the night before so I’m really tired. I try and sleep at least half the flight. Melatonin help... and having Netflix shows/movies downloaded ready to go. 

I tend to agree with you - the difference between a 12 hour flight and a 15+ hour flight is negligible to me.

That said, there are no non-stop flights from the USA to Bangkok.

A 4 hour layover goes by fairly quick. It gives you enough time to walk around, get a refreshment, smoke, and possibly eat.

Just read this review of China Southern Economy on one of their new 777s (they have had 777s for a while; this just happened to be a new plane):

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/china-southern-777-economy/

A couple of thoughts:
 - I think they use an A380 for LAX-CAN, so I don't know how applicable it is for that route
 - 3-3-3 seating is becoming more and more rare, so be happy to find it when you can
 - 19 inch seat width is a game changer!  It doesn't sound like much, but the difference between a 17.5 inch wide seat and a 19 inch wide seat is HUGE!  Hell, some Premium Economy seats are 19 inches wide.

My warchest of AA miles continues to grow (soon to top 550,000 after my latest bonus hits), so I could see myself flying China Southern again (although it would be biz class and I would obviously prefer to find availability on JAL or Cathay).

• 1 month later...

The premium economy on EVA from ORD-TPE-BKK is a good product and a relatively fast itinerary, with departure times that save you precious time in Thailand on both sides of the trip.

• 1 month later...
On 27/08/2019 at 14:37, Chicagoarc said:

Also curious about any stories about flying Premium Economy to get there as well.

A nice summary here of the upsides -- and one downside -- to flying premium economy:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/reasons-to-fly-premium-economy/

For the previous 2 years had flown business class, but saw very cheap Charlie looking flight back last Spring on premium economy with hong kong airlines(back to Vancouver) and tried it.  Used flight guru to get best seat, upgraded with lounge access at BKK, HKG, YVR and it was still much less than half price of same Hong Kong airlines business class flight.  Was a decent experience and think if saw that sort of deal again would take it.  

Archived