IGNORED

Flying from the states...

Chicagoarc

I've made that loooong flight a few times now, and I am curious about a few of your experiences with the flights as well. Being almost exactly on he opposite side of the world has some obvious downsides, but one of the positives are that we can go east (Eur/ME) or west (far eastern Asia) to get there.  I have only ever gone the routes over the pacific, but looking at options connecting through Europe or the Middle East this time due to price and connections available to me. Also curious about any stories about flying Premium Economy to get there as well. Gone the coach route (not great at all) and Business seats (far better), but not the Prem Eco seats.  I am neither short nor terribly slim sadly, so a coach seat for more than 8 hours begins to be more of a burden than I want on my next trip. Thanks in advance for any insights.

ME3 airlines dont have PE yet.

Over the atlantic, I think your only options to fly PE are BA and Lufthansa.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I flew Minneapolis to Amsterdam then to Bangkok on my most recent trip, having always gone the Pacific route before.  Much better, for me, as only one layover and flight times were shorter,  the layover in Amsterdam was 6 hours.  Unfortunately the trip back was longer and required an overnight stay, which I didn't mind as this was my first time in Europe.

Ideally, I'd be able to fly east (with the wind) all the way, but haven't seen round-trip flights that do that. Another downside to the Europe route is that the flight was about $400 more than going across the Pacific.

-cp

34 minutes ago, frantick said:

Ideally, I'd be able to fly east (with the wind) all the way, but haven't seen round-trip flights that do that.

That would be awesome. Think of how much fuel and time would be saved.

If you book each one-way, is it much more expensive?

Check out Bonkabit's suggestions:

"Or check a round the world ticket  http://www.oneworld.com and http://www.staralliance.com "

Have you considered a two or three day stopover on the way e.g. Chicago - London (stopover) - Bangkok?

Or check a round the world ticket  http://www.oneworld.com and http://www.staralliance.com

When I fly Australia - Europe I always spend some time in SE Asia each way. Helps minimise jet lag and generally feeling rundown.

51 minutes ago, basket case said:

ME3 airlines dont have PE yet.

Over the atlantic, I think your only options to fly PE are BA and Lufthansa.

Air France offers a good Premium Economy product.  Delta is including it in the new A350s and as they overhaul older planes as well. 

One thing I particularly dislike in Delta’s implementation of PE is that the arm rests between seats are not moveable, so there is little advantage to having an empty row like there would be in the economy rows  

While PE may offer a bit more room and upgrades food/beverage, for the 19+ hour flight to S.E. Asia, I’ll stick with a lie flat seat in business. 

17 minutes ago, Bonkabit said:

When I fly Australia - Europe I always spend some time in SE Asia each way. Helps minimise jet lag and generally feeling rundown.

Translation: it's just to minimise dick lag. LOL!

One possible hiccup is that certain airlines are cutting back on Chicago to Hong Kong flights.  I definitely read that United has bumped them and thought I saw that American was cutting back, as well.

Lots of PE options from LAX.  I have done Cathay PE and Singapore PE.  Both were fine.  I usually fly using miles, and you don;t save enough for me to cut back from business for that option (+ Singapore is a pain in the ass to book PE to BKK, because SIN to BKK does not have PE -- only a 2+ hour flight, but you can;t book the entire route online because it isn't PE all the way through).

PE is usually a little wider, with a little more legroom, a little more recline and a little better food.

If I ever have to pay (as opposed to using miles), it's PE without a doubt for me.  I'm 6'2," weigh around 255 and have balky knees.  Squeezing into an economy seat for 12-15 hours is unbearable to me.  Honestly, I think would probably just not go before I would fly economy.

As for a long layover, people like to bash LAX (and it IS a freakin' nightmare traffic-wise), but the Tom Bradley Terminal is pretty damn nice after $737 million in renovations in 2010 and they are building a new satellite terminal that looks like ti will be pretty sweet.  Lots of (over-priced) dining options, shops and multiple airline lounges.  If you have Priority Pass, hit up PF Changs for $28 in free food and drinks....

Fly business. Fly out from California, so an 18 hour journey, including layover, isn't too bad compared to those coming from middle America Economy would work if you got an aisle seat at the emergency doors. Everyone is different though. If you can just pass out for 75% of the flight, any seat would work. 

From my perspective, a 14 hour time difference is perfect. Generally sleep during the day and wake up early evening, so jet lag is never an issue. There may be a day or 2 where might stroll to Soi 6 or Soi Pothole but don't like being awake for the day's heat when the sun is out. 

3 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Good RT fares in Premium Economy on ANA, as detailed in this blog post - LAX, Newark, and Chicago ORD to Bangkok for around $1125 to 1175 roundtrip:

https://thepointsguy.com/deals/us-to-asia-premium-economy/

Dam...and I just purchased my JAL tickets for November, Only good thing is I am flying out of my home town direct to NRT and avoiding the LAX headache.

On 27/08/2019 at 20:01, Luv2Phuket said:

One possible hiccup is that certain airlines are cutting back on Chicago to Hong Kong flights.  I definitely read that United has bumped them and thought I saw that American was cutting back, as well.

Lots of PE options from LAX.  I have done Cathay PE and Singapore PE.  Both were fine.  I usually fly using miles, and you don;t save enough for me to cut back from business for that option (+ Singapore is a pain in the ass to book PE to BKK, because SIN to BKK does not have PE -- only a 2+ hour flight, but you can;t book the entire route online because it isn't PE all the way through).

PE is usually a little wider, with a little more legroom, a little more recline and a little better food.

If I ever have to pay (as opposed to using miles), it's PE without a doubt for me.  I'm 6'2," weigh around 255 and have balky knees.  Squeezing into an economy seat for 12-15 hours is unbearable to me.  Honestly, I think would probably just not go before I would fly economy.

I have noticed the cutbacks at O’Hare. It’s making the planning a bit rough for this trip. The daily AA direct to Tokyo has been cut back to 4x a week, AA to HK direct from ORD is done for now, and both United and American have almost completely stopped direct to China.  Lots of 2 stop flight options on the way there going over the Pacific (ANA,JAL, EVA,CP, China East, & the big US carriers (fuck Delta:p)). Some decent 1 stops going the Atlantic route as well (BA is very $$, Finn seems to have 12-18 hour layovers, Emerites Qatar and Ethiad all have varyingly similar schedules). 

As as for the loitering in LAX, I didn’t mind it on my last trip ($2200 for a business seat on AA from there + redeemed miles ticket domestically). Only real complaint was the lack of a decent newsstand or bookstore in the American terminal. Had lounge access anyway, so it wasn’t a biggie. The best option I noticed about using LAX, was the options for late night departures. 

I liked arriving in the morning vs midnight by leaving late from LAX. Made the jet lag more or less zero. Previous trip was NOTHING like that (Chicago-Toronto-Tokyo-BKK), even though the fare was cheap, I’d rather not ever do that again. Air Canada was fine, but honestly American was a nicer plane and experience in my opinion. 1st trip there was the smoothest route (ORD-NRT-BKK) all in 20 hours there 18 back. That route is now reduced and stupid expensive ($1200 ecn, $5500 bsn). Part of why I was asking about going over the Atlantic. Really the reason I have avoided it was the time lost in transit. Losing the extra day each way feels like theft and should be refunded by the airline. It does effect planning  greatly by leaving the states. I think most here would take the extra 2 days if they could.

thanks for the tips on PE differences. Sounds like it’s a nice option vs $3k for a business seat. And I’d have to say we are of a similar build but I only have 1 wonky knee.:D

Sorry this got long.

On 29/08/2019 at 02:04, Kickoff said:

Fly business. Fly out from California, so an 18 hour journey, including layover, isn't too bad compared to those coming from middle America Economy would work if you got an aisle seat at the emergency doors. Everyone is different though. If you can just pass out for 75% of the flight, any seat would work. 

From my perspective, a 14 hour time difference is perfect. Generally sleep during the day and wake up early evening, so jet lag is never an issue. There may be a day or 2 where might stroll to Soi 6 or Soi Pothole but don't like being awake for the day's heat when the sun is out. 

Pretty much what I did last time because flights from LAX were far cheaper than from home. Not the case when searching fares now sadly. Flights to Hong Kong, Manila, Tokyo, and Singapore are all more expensive than flights to BKK. I was hoping to check out another place for a day or 2 on each end and look for an economy fare from any of those places. Any direct flight from those is not an issue. 

On 27/08/2019 at 19:43, Bonkabit said:

Have you considered a two or three day stopover on the way e.g. Chicago - London (stopover) - Bangkok?

Or check a round the world ticket  http://www.oneworld.com and http://www.staralliance.com

I hadn’t but think I will now. :Chokdee:

What about EVA Airlines?

I love the flight times leaves ORD late and arrives at BKK around lunchtime.  Layover is in Taipei which a easy transfer with a few hours to grab a snack.

Just my two cents.

I am fed up with hearing whiny complaints about such 'long' flights and how guys have to 'suffer' through a few hours in an air conditioned jet aircraft while sleeping or being fed as they watch movies.

Why don't you complainers think about what people used to through to travel great distances not that long ago...Commercial flights have been around for  less than 100 years.

How about reflecting on the MILLIONS of immigrants - possibly even your ancestors - that spent THREE MONTHS or more on a sailing ship to go from Europe to the Americas.  THEY suffered through severe storms, poor nutritional diets while on the voyage, lack of proper medical care, diseases, sleeping in a hold - with real animals - instead of the hardships of a fat slob wedged into the seat next to you while he snores on a plane... 

Bottom line:  A person today can transport themselves literally ' around the world' in mere hours. 

So, please STOP complaining about flight times and how you 'suffer' so badly on your way to paradise!!!  Or don't come to Thailand and put yourself through the barely tolerable torture of just getting here on such a 'loooonnng flight'!

16 minutes ago, Komando said:

So, please STOP complaining about flight times and how you 'suffer' so badly on your way to paradise!!!  Or don't come to Thailand and put yourself through the barely tolerable torture of just getting here on such a 'loooonnng flight'!

40 minutes ago, Chicagoarc said:

As as for the loitering in LAX, I didn’t mind it on my last trip ($2200 for a business seat on AA from there + redeemed miles ticket domestically). Only real complaint was the lack of a decent newsstand or bookstore in the American terminal. Had lounge access anyway, so it wasn’t a biggie. The best option I noticed about using LAX, was the options for late night departures. 

$2200 is a great fare on AA to Asia in business class!  I imagine you racked up some VERY nice EQMs!

I'm also guessing since you were flying International that your flight was from Bradley and not Terminal 4. 

If your flight is from Terminal 4 and you arrive absurdly early like I do, Terminal 4 is connected by a walkway post-security to the Bradley Terminal, which has better food and lounge options.  It's maybe a ten minute walk, tops.

The oneworld lounge at Bradley is head and shoulders better than the Admirals Club in Terminal 4.  If you have Priority Pass, Bradley has the KAL lounge (easily the worst of the "alliance lounges" at Bradley), but the value lies in the $28 credit at PF Changs.  I try to hit it almost every time that I fly Terminal 4 or Bradley.

I just read a blog today that said the new AMEX Centurion lounge at Bradley is expected to open sometime in 2020.  14,000 sq. ft. and it is supposed to include a spa.  Looks like I'll be keeping my (overpriced) AMEX Platinum card for a while longer!  5555

I used to recommend that travellers who only have carry-on and are flying out of Bradley think about going through security at Terminal 4, where it generally is much lighter; however, just about every International carrier now participates in Pre-Check and they have a Pre-Check lane at Bradley that usually moves very quickly.

32 minutes ago, User Name Eric said:

What about EVA Airlines?

I love the flight times leaves ORD late and arrives at BKK around lunchtime.  Layover is in Taipei which a easy transfer with a few hours to grab a snack.

Just my two cents.

Never used EVA, but have noticed the flights from ORD. A decent experience?

22 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

"You're sitting in a chair - in the SKY!"

20 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I thought it was a bit too. If I am however wrong, my apologies for any perceived whiny comments. Just looking to make my holiday as unbelievably enjoyable as possible. :Flying:

13 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

$2200 is a great fare on AA to Asia in business class!  I imagine you racked up some VERY nice EQMs!

It was, and helped lead to one hell of a trip.  And it got me Gold stars alone for the next year. With all my work and family trips worked in I’ll have platinum status by next month.

Now if they’d only re instate those suspended routes from O’Hare...

10 minutes ago, Chicagoarc said:

Never used EVA, but have noticed the flights from ORD. A decent experience?

I think EVA business class is excellent!  I fly Cathay frequently, and I would say EVA is slightly better these days, as Cathay has been slipping recently.  1-2-1 lie flat seating in reverse herringbone layout.

Very nice lounge in Taipei with the hi tech Japanese toilets - I feel compelled to take a crap even if I don't have to!  555

My current favorite is Singapore, but EVA is a very solid fallback option.

Just now, Chicagoarc said:

It was, and helped lead to one hell of a trip.  And it got me Gold stars alone for the next year. With all my work and family trips worked in I’ll have platinum status by next month.

Now if they’d only re instate those suspended routes from O’Hare...

I have a spreadsheet to track my progress towards AA Platinum status each year.  For me, the free upgrade to Main Cabin Extra and being able to reserve those seats at the time of booking is the key perk.

I was going to nail it easy, but am cancelling a trip to Cancun, so I'm currently about 750 miles shy (based on all flights currently booked).  I'll wait and see if I have anopther trip coming up or, worst case scenario, will book a quick flight to Las Vegas to get it.

I've scored upgrades maybe 3 or 4 times.  It seems like there is no chance of that if you're not at least Platinum.

Just booked my November trip.  Have flown EVA from LAX to BKK the past few trips.  Never had a problem, good airline. I used to fly premium economy, but I got some ff miles so started to upgrade to business.  Now I can't go back, premium economy is OK, but nothing beats a flat bed for a 16 hour flight.

Archived