IGNORED

Bus from BKK to Hua Hin, how long is journey ?

Jumpin Jack Flash

After a quick trip to Pats, I want to go to Hua Hin. I see there's a bus service from Swampy to Hua Hin (Bell runs a service there now)

Has anyone done that trip?  How long is the journey ?  It doesn't say on the website.  I know its 3 hrs by car, but its prob longer by bus ?

8 minutes ago, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

After a quick trip to Pats, I want to go to Hua Hin. I see there's a bus service from Swampy to Hua Hin (Bell runs a service there now)

Has anyone done that trip?  How long is the journey ?  It doesn't say on the website.  I know its 3 hrs by car, but its prob longer by bus ?

4-5h according to their website. 

http://www.belltravelservice.com/public-bus/

Didn't spot that info before, thanks.

I was expecting maybe 4 hours, but 5 hrs would be horrendous on top of a 2 hr journey from Pats to BKK. :sad:

3 minutes ago, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

Didn't spot that info before, thanks.

I was expecting maybe 4 hours, but 5 hrs would be horrendous on top of a 2 hr journey from Pats to BKK. :sad:

Why don't you take the ferry?

4 hrs when I took it the other direction. It depends what time of day, whether it's rush hour or not.

You obviously have your answer now but a good thing to use for stuff like this is rome2rio.com great for planning the little details of a trip

• Like 1

They closed the ferry off-season last year.  The train takes 4-5 hours but only costs 44 baht in 3rd class.

• Like 1

Retired

32 minutes ago, Piece Corp said:

They closed the ferry off-season last year.  The train takes 4-5 hours but only costs 44 baht in 3rd class.

The cheap train is hot and uncomfortable, and can take much longer. The Bell bus is much more comfortable. There is a more expensive air conditioned train, but I think it's about 400 baht.

For the record from BKK to HH, I have undertaken at various times:-

• the bus, 
  • the train,
  •  a minvan,
  • and private taxi.

If you have the time the train is by far the most interesting and best value for money. However, if you are in Pattaya the most practical way is by ferry. I have used it a few times and it would be my preference over road or rail.  I consider it is well worth the extra cost. 

3 hours ago, Piece Corp said:

not from Pattaya, tho.

According to my Google Maps timeline it took me 3hrs2min last month (216 km), from Huahin bus station to BKK airport. The bus I took was 1.5hrs late to pick us up due to traffic though. And I found this bus a little more comfortable than the bus from Ekkamai to Pattaya.

I've done the BKK to Hua Hin trip many times.

By car, by minivan, and by train.

I would never take the train again in a million years. Its cheap as chips for a reason. Hot, stuffy, and incredibly long - my trip took 6 hours, must be the slowest train on the planet.

Minivan was quicker, about 3.5 hours but I had to stop and get out to throw up - the road between BKK and HH is bumpy as fuck and the minivan has zero suspension. Again, no repeat for me.

By car it can be done in 3 hours, I've done it several times and that would be my preference. Won't be cheap for a taxi tho.

I'll be using Bells bus from BKK to Hua Hin for the 3rd time  in Jan 2020. Very comfortable seats, lots of legroom, costs about 300bt, and takes under 4 hrs.  If a taxi cost the same as the bus, I would still use Bells bus

Afer Hua Hin, I'm going to Pattaya. Looking at the ferry, there's only 1 a day at 4pm, but takes just 2hrs, whilst Bells bus takes about 6hrs.

Not sure if the Bells bus goes via BKK airport on the way to Pattaya or whether its direct ?

Edited by jaynewcastle

Just looking at the Bell Bus website, and considering taking the bus all the way from Pats to HH. It says journey time is approx 6 hours (unless its a weekend or holiday in which case it could be 7-8).

It'll be on a Monday, leaving at 11am if I decide to book it, so probably around 6 hours in total.

For just 426 baht, with hotel pick up, and drop off at the other end, thats hard to beat. 

Quicker alternative is to take a Bell bus back to Swampy for 280 baht 

then get a taxi to my hotel in HH, for 2000

Total cost of around 2300 baht, but travel time of 5 hrs

Or

I take a taxi back to Swampy for 1200 baht

then get the Bell bus to HH for 294 baht

Total cost of 1500 baht, total travel time of 6 hours (same as taking the bus all the way)

I won't take the first quicker alternative because I'm only saving 1 hour for almost 2000 baht more cost.

I am considering the second alternative, even tho it won't be quicker, it'll be easier for my stomach to handle (getting a break between leg 1 and leg 2 of the journey helps).

20 minutes ago, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

I won't take the first quicker alternative because I'm only saving 1 hour for almost 2000 baht more cost.

I think you need to re-look at the posts and get out a calculator. Check put the ferry times and cost!! It takes 2 hrs, compared to being in heavy traffic it is very smooth and very relaxing and the best value option.

I've ruled out the ferry.

I don't have any sea legs and 2 hours plus, is too long to be on a swaying boat sat next to people throwing up.

Edited by Jumpin Jack Flash
mis-spell

• 3 weeks later...

I am considering Hua Hin as a destination.

My choices from the Airport (Suvarnabhumi) appear to be Taxi, Bells Bus or Train.

Last Bus appears to depart at 1830. Cost 300B

Nams taxi service is around 2000B

Train.  Prefer a faster service/airconditioned. Using the Thailand Trains sight the only train I can seem to get tickets for departs 1300 and only second class/fan service.

Most of my flight options arrive too late in Bangkok to connect with the last Bus service. Earliest flight arrives 4.40pm ( so might make the last Bus)

option is to stay overnight in Bangkok, and head to Hua HIn in the morning

Does anyone have any recent experiences, recommendations or alternative train booking sites?

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I have done the bus all the way from Patts to HH took about 5 hours from memory. A great service, big seats, plenty of leg room,  A/C, toilet a bargain in my opinion.

On 10/05/2019 at 14:19, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

Just in case you might consider a cab I pre booked from a booth in Hua Hin was a reasonable 1500 baht at the start of July 2018.

I did many times Bangkok - Hua Hin by VIP bus, train, van and ordinary bus + 1 time Hua Hin - Pattaya by van + bus.

- VIP BUS. RRC Roong Reuang Coach VIP bus (Bell T. Service) : I did twice Suvarnabhumi (BKK airport) to Hua Hin with RRC. The VIP bus was comfortable, 24 seats, trip lasted about 4h. Good value for money. Warning : Since 2017, the RRC bus station is in North Hua Hin near the airport and the Post Office. Before, their bus terminal was near soi 96, South Hua Hin.

I used also RRC for Suvarnabhumi <-> Pattaya Jomtien. Good value for money, trip about 3h. I will use it again.

RRC Roong Reuang Coach VIP bus website https://airporthuahinbus.com/

- TRAIN. I did several round trips by train, Bangkok Hua Lamphong Railway Station <-> Hua Hin. The Special Express (a.k.a. Sprinter) at 8.05am from Bangkok is my favorite. 4 coaches with AC, arrives in Hua Hin at about 11.40 (sometimes with 1h late). Good timing for check-in at your hotel. For coming back to Bangkok, the timing is not so convenient. Sometimes all the Special Express were full so i took some Express, Rapid and Ordinary train, very long trip ...

Timetables Bankgok <-> Hua Hin : http://procurement.railway.co.th/checktime/checktime.asp?lenguage=Eng

- VAN. Bangkok <-> Hua Hin by van. Several trips lasting about 4h-5h. Not comfortable, not safe on the road, if you have some luggage, you have to pay sometimes for a second seat. Pros : Available at any time. Many vans go to Bangkok Morchit Terminal where you can get a connection by bus or van to Pattaya and hundreds of other destinations

VAN + BUS. Hua Hin -> PATTAYA by van then bus. Hua Hin - Bangkok Morchit by van (I survive !!!), then from Morchit to North Pattaya by bus. Bus was comfortable. The whole trip about 8 h.

- REGULAR BUS. Hua Hin -> Bangkok Sai Tai Mai Bus Terminal by regular bus. I did 1 time, never again. Very cheap but Sai Tai Mai is very far in the Bangkok suburb. No BTS station yet.

Edited by tulakhom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/05/2019 at 23:03, tulakhom said:

I did many times Bangkok - Hua Hin by VIP bus, train, van and ordinary bus + 1 time Hua Hin - Pattaya by van + bus.

- VIP BUS. RRC Roong Reuang Coach VIP bus (Bell T. Service) : I did twice Suvarnabhumi (BKK airport) to Hua Hin with RRC. The VIP bus was comfortable, 24 seats, trip lasted about 4h. Good value for money. Warning : Since 2017, the RRC bus station is in North Hua Hin near the airport and the Post Office. Before, their bus terminal was near soi 96, South Hua Hin.

I used also RRC for Suvarnabhumi <-> Pattaya Jomtien. Good value for money, trip about 3h. I will use it again.

RRC Roong Reuang Coach VIP bus website https://airporthuahinbus.com/

- TRAIN. I did several round trips by train, Bangkok Hua Lamphong Railway Station <-> Hua Hin. The Special Express (a.k.a. Sprinter) at 8.05am from Bangkok is my favorite. 4 coaches with AC, arrives in Hua Hin at about 11.40 (sometimes with 1h late). Good timing for check-in at your hotel. For coming back to Bangkok, the timing is not so convenient. Sometimes all the Special Express were full so i took some Express, Rapid and Ordinary train, very long trip ...

Timetables Bankgok <-> Hua Hin : http://procurement.railway.co.th/checktime/checktime.asp?lenguage=Eng

- VAN. Bangkok <-> Hua Hin by van. Several trips lasting about 4h-5h. Not comfortable, not safe on the road, if you have some luggage, you have to pay sometimes for a second seat. Pros : Available at any time. Many vans go to Bangkok Morchit Terminal where you can get a connection by bus or van to Pattaya and hundreds of other destinations

VAN + BUS. Hua Hin -> PATTAYA by van then bus. Hua Hin - Bangkok Morchit by van (I survive !!!), then from Morchit to North Pattaya by bus. Bus was comfortable. The whole trip about 8 h.

- REGULAR BUS. Hua Hin -> Bangkok Sai Tai Mai Bus Terminal by regular bus. I did 1 time, never again. Very cheap but Sai Tai Mai is very far in the Bangkok suburb. No BTS station yet.

Thanks. 

The 8.05am Train suits fine. Just can't seem to find a way to get a ticket on it. Ticket site only offers later slower fan only train at 11.05.

My departure time from Bangkok is later in the afternoon, so plenty of options for return, allowing for traffic, delays and other hold ups

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

It’s recommended to have a reservation for the 8:05, last time I tried to walk-on it was full and I had to wait for the 3rd class train at 9:30

Retired

And don't forget you can't book or buy tickets in advance in 3rd class,only buy and travel same day 

Just got back from my trip. I took a taxi from Pats back to the airport, then booked a RRC bus in from Swampy to Hua Hin. 

Nice enough bus but never again - the air con is on full blast all the way.

It was like being stuck in a fridge for 5 hours. Wasn't prepared for that  LOL.