Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Compulsory Health Insurance for Those on O-A etc

davidge

Recommendation from Government committee that all foreigners on long-stay visas be forced to take out Thai Medical Insurance if they don’t already have their own insurance.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30360990

Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Breaking NewsDecember 23, 2018 15:59

By The Nation 

15,066 Viewed 

Foreigners with one-year Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) will have to compulsorily arrange health insurance, according to new proposals of a key committee.

The criterion under the Immigration Act 1979 was approved by the Medical Hub Committee, Dr Kittisak Klapdee, adviser to the Minister of Public Health, said on Sunday. 

Kittisak was assigned by Public Health Minister Dr Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn to join Tourism and Sport vice minister Ittipol Khunplome at the Medical Hub Committee’s second annual meeting, which approved in principle the amendment of the criteria for one-year long-stay visas.

Once it comes into effect, foreigners having the visa will be required to have Thai insurance policies covering their entire stay in Thailand with minimum Bt40,000 out-patient medical bill coverage and minimum Bt400,000 in-patient medical bill coverage. 

Those already having overseas insurance policies that meet the minimum requirement would be exempted from subscribing to Thai insurance policies. They will be able to apply for long-stay visas using their foreign insurance policies, he said.

Details and guidelines pertaining to the amendment were being jointly formulated by the Public Health Ministry, the Foreign Ministry, the Interior Ministry, the Immigration Bureau, the Office of Insurance Commission, the Thai General Insurance Association, and the Thai Life Assurance Association. At the next stage, it would be forwarded to the Cabinet for approval as a formal policy, he added.

The amended criterion is aimed at ensuring health protection for long-stay visa holders – mostly elderly foreigners – and also benefit the public and private hospitals in the country, he added

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

If they had some good policies I would get one for sure if it was cheaper than my current policy. Personally think this is a great idea.

I guess they will still have to find a Thai Insurance Company that would be willing to take on the risk.

I have been told that there is also a plan to make the purchase of medical insurance compulsory at the airport for all visitors.

A further nail in the coffin IMO.

JDM 

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

On 24/12/2018 at 07:45, Taa_Saparot said:

I guess they will still have to find a Thai Insurance Company that would be willing to take on the risk.

What about pre-existing medical conditions and your health history since birth along with disclosure of your parents medical history?

6 hours ago, overseas516 said:

What about pre-existing medical conditions and your health history since birth along with disclosure of your parents medical history?

Exactly, and I think this is why this idea has been bandied about for decades, but will never happen.

If this was to happen what would become of all the older expats that do not have a plan in place.   Most of the insurance companies will not take on people after a certain age with a new policy, some even stop policies in place after a certain age!   Many older people have existing conditions that exclude them from most insurance policies.  Then there would be the arbitary decisions by immigration officers as to what was sufficient cover, really hope this does not happen.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

That’s the issue. Are they planning for a Thai company to offer an ‘off the shelf’ policy available to everyone or will it be up to Thai insurance companies who they cover.

If there was a ‘Government Policy’ that anyone could take out I wouldn’t mind too much, provided it wasn’t too expensive. However, if it’s just policies available now then a number of people won’t be able to get cover. Hard to see Insurance companies being willing to take on the risk of the former.

12 hours ago, davidge said:

That’s the issue. Are they planning for a Thai company to offer an ‘off the shelf’ policy available to everyone or will it be up to Thai insurance companies who they cover.

If there was a ‘Government Policy’ that anyone could take out I wouldn’t mind too much, provided it wasn’t too expensive. However, if it’s just policies available now then a number of people won’t be able to get cover. Hard to see Insurance companies being willing to take on the risk of the former.

The policies already exist and have been an official requirement for some time for the long stay retirement visas:

https://longstay.tgia.org/

On 24/12/2018 at 14:45, Taa_Saparot said:

I have an insurance policy with a Thai company. No problem at all getting that as a foreigner. 

On 26/12/2018 at 00:25, overseas516 said:

On 26/12/2018 at 07:33, Taa_Saparot said:

Exactly, and I think this is why this idea has been bandied about for decades, but will never happen.

This health insurance requirement already exists for Non O-X visa, so there is absolutely no difficulties to make it a requirement for Non O-A visa too.

It seems that companies who participle to this scheme agreed to insure anybody up to 100 yo.

Viriyah is an example of insurance providing such "made for Long Stay Sisa" policy.

See there : https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-form.php

test.jpg

47 minutes ago, Tarl said:

@Oukiva, @Fumbduck any you personally recommend?

Well, I used to have a policy with AIA, now I have one through my bank (don't remember off the top of my head who the underwriter is). I've never actually made a claim on either of those, so I can't really make any meaningful recommendation. The terms of the policies are quite similar though.

The following website has a good comparison table on various insurance policies for ex-pats.

The Ultimate Guide to International Health Insurance: Considerations, Companies, Policies & Pricing

One of the companies in the comparison table is IMG, which is who I've had a policy with for a number of years.

Thanks FBWU, good post and info. I personally would never travel without it.

image.png

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The policies already exist and have been an official requirement for some time for the long stay retirement visas:

https://longstay.tgia.org/

3 hours ago, Oukiva said:

This health insurance requirement already exists for Non O-X visa, so there is absolutely no difficulties to make it a requirement for Non O-A visa too.

It seems that companies who participle to this scheme agreed to insure anybody up to 100 yo.

Viriyah is an example of insurance providing such "made for Long Stay Sisa" policy.

See there : https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-form.php

test.jpg

Thanks both. I’d forgotten about the O-X as I’m don’t know anyone that’s tried to get one.

I’ll need to check the details for any exclusions etc as if it comes in for O-A a friend will need one almost immediately.

hmmm - not something I had thought about all that much. My basic plan was if I became ill, I would return to the US where I have pretty good coverage. My US insurance has no international coverage and something sudden could easily occur now that I spend more time in Thailand than in the US.

70,000 baht for my age group is a hit for sure. Maybe I can look into options for extending my US coverage to include international coverage.

26 minutes ago, Jebb said:

Thanks FBWU, good post and info. I personally would never travel without it.

Easy to say, when young enough, and with no existing conditions.

Just now, davidge said:
Thanks both. I’d forgotten about the O-X as I’m don’t know anyone that’s tried to get one.
I’ll need to check the details for any exclusions etc as if it comes in for O-A a friend will need one almost immediately.

Expensive for such poor cover, 400,000 inpatient won't cover much, another example is 5,000 ICU per day when I've heard people being charged 50,000 a day

Just now, Scuba+ said:

Expensive for such poor cover, 400,000 inpatient won't cover much, another example is 5,000 ICU per day when I've heard people being charged 50,000 a day

Problem is my friend is 70 so will struggle to get decent cover at a reasonable cost. He’s actually still working so has cover from his employer at the moment. However, he does plan on retiring to Pattaya next summer so this requirement will hit him if it does come in.

Just now, ChiFlyer said:

My basic plan was if I became ill, I would return to the US where I have pretty good coverage

I would still recommend getting at least an accident insurance, which is not all that expensive. If something happens that requires medical assistance right now, hopping on a flight back home may not be an option. Better to have an insurance that will at least get you looked after at one of the better hospitals, rather than some of the - how to put this diplomatically? - less desirable medical service providers.

Problem is my friend is 70 so will struggle to get decent cover at a reasonable cost. He’s actually still working so has cover from his employer at the moment. However, he does plan on retiring to Pattaya next summer so this requirement will hit him if it does come in.
Worth considering the agent route, 20k first year 12k subsequent year, i doubt they'd enforce the insurance although wait and see on that i guess.

Second option is get proper insurance like Cigna Global which has a good reputation. Probably pay more but far more decent cover

I would still recommend getting at least an accident insurance, which is not all that expensive. If something happens that requires medical assistance right now, hopping on a flight back home may not be an option. Better to have an insurance that will at least get you looked after at one of the better hospitals, rather than some of the - how to put this diplomatically? - less desirable medical service providers.
Have you found a personal accident insurance with high cover per accident? the best i found was Axa with 600k cover per accident, circ 15k a year

55 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Easy to say, when young enough, and with no existing conditions.

And I ain't getting any younger. 55555

image.png

Archived