IGNORED

Compulsory Health Insurance for Those on O-A etc

davidge

Just now, Scuba+ said:

Worth considering the agent route, 20k first year 12k subsequent year, i doubt they'd enforce the insurance although wait and see on that i guess.

Second option is get proper insurance like Cigna Global which has a good reputation. Probably pay more but far more decent cover

He could well end up going the agent route - though I think your figures are on the low side. The agent he uses for other things charge 35k then 25k each year. There are cheaper ones, but increasingly difficult to find many under 15-20k now. Wouldn’t be surprised if prices went up if the Health Insurance comes in as well. It’s one more piece of paper to ‘forget’ to check. 

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

He could well end up going the agent route - though I think your figures are on the low side. The agent he uses for other things charge 35k then 25k each year. There are cheaper ones, but increasingly difficult to find many under 15-20k now. Wouldn’t be surprised if prices went up if the Health Insurance comes in as well. It’s one more piece of paper to ‘forget’ to check. 
If you'd like to know which agents charge the lower amounts PM me and I'll double check with my neighbour who goes that route

Just now, Scuba+ said:
Just now, davidge said:

If you'd like to know which agents charge the lower amounts PM me and I'll double check with my neighbour who goes that route

Thanks. I won’t be using one but my friend could well do next July. I’ll get in touch with you if need be.

I have thought for a long time any visitors from or to uk must purchase or prove they have medical insurance when they book up ticket ,and at checkin no policy no travel,why put the burden onto other people if things go tits up ,it's the law you drive a vehicle you must have insurance ,should be the same for travel,I used to work in a hospital near Heathrow and everyday people would come to the hospital get patched up ,sometimes involving operations ,yet when they try to get payment they discharge themselves and no payment ,all comes out of the system 

2 hours ago, Jebb said:

And I ain't getting any younger. 55555

Who is ?

I kind of just took travel insurance availability for granted .... then I turned 56 !

Just now, Taa_Saparot said:

Who is ?

I kind of just took travel insurance availability for granted .... then I turned 56 !

Wait until you get to 80. I got travel insurance regularly for my parents, though it got expensive, but it was impossible once my mother reached 80.

Hmmm #2 - this is probably more directed at the US guys. What I have now is a Medicare Advantage plan thru Humana. Not great insurance, but I get their negotiated rates and they cover quite a bit once I exceed their deductible limit. I think that is currently 6K USD. Obviously, I have no international coverage. I pay $87 a month, plus the Medicare cost, which I think is about $135.50. 

I am thinking that it may make sense to switch the Medicare Advantage to Cigna and add the international coverage. Anybody done anything like this?

5 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

Have you found a personal accident insurance with high cover per accident? the best i found was Axa with 600k cover per accident, circ 15k a year

No, I think that's the highest I've heard of. The one I have is actually only for 100K, but then my reason for having it is not so much to pay for the entire bill in case of an accident, as it is to make sure there are no delays in getting me to a proper hospital and begin work straight away if need be. 

Archived