Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Alter Ego soi Diana (Papa Cocktail)

On 12/09/2019 at 13:25, Rikamaroo said:

I have walked past this place on every trip multiples times and never even noticed it.

Looks high end and well priced. Pictures of the food show the chef has imagination and skills.

Interested to know how much a decent bottle of wine costs. Quality red wine at a decent price is the only thing that Pattaya lacks for me. 

I will definitely give this place a go. 

Just proves that pattaya has a surprise around every corner.

On 12/09/2019 at 14:18, Rainville said:

I'm more of a white wine type of guy but I do also enjoy a glass once in a while, even more so during dinner or at the beggining of the night.

Do you know any nice bar/café/restaurant that serve decent wine near the action? Not looking for the fancy place (Hilton and co).

Mentioned somewhere above - red, white, rose, sparkling wines by the bottle at Alter Ego at low markups, starting around 1000B if I remember right. I’ll check that. But what makes it different is that there are a dozen decent reds and whites by the glass. His cocktails are 149B, and ingredients are quality. Craft gins and spirits, speciality tonics, etc. A real touch of class in the town centre, though it's a chilled, down to earth atmosphere, nothing fancy. And all the drinks on sale for the same price at Papagayo next door

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Shellfish presented in a glass like that is just really off putting to me for some reason. I mean, presentation wise. 

Just looks weird. 

Price is great tho, I'll pop by, mainly for the wine :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2019 at 13:32, Rainville said:

Shellfish presented in a glass like that is just really off putting to me for some reason. I mean, presentation wise. 

Just looks weird. 

Price is great tho, I'll pop by, mainly for the wine :)

Think that was just one of the free appetisers that he hands out...

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Think these pics sum up the effort and skill that go into the dishes at Alter Ego. From this week’s menu, the butterflied fresh sardine starter, with salmon roe caviar, Espelette Pepper seasoned cottage cheese, cranberry beans with fresh seaweed, regular and Daikon radish, garden herbs. Great presentation.

E21CE160-8BE7-4DD4-9ABA-FD77C9007D05.jpeg

A0DFF58F-2C6B-4658-BACC-5CE5E5DEFC0F.jpeg

Mallard duck on the menu this week, with a bitter orange bigarade sauce, as well as USDA Prime sirloin

Sauce Bigarade is a classic French sauce which features the flavour of bitter orange. It is one of the few French sauces which can be classed as sweet and sour. The sharpness of the bitter orange cuts through both the sweetness of the sauce, and any fatty taste of the meat (typically duck) it is served with. The most well-known use of it is in Caneton à la Bigarade (aka Duck à l’Orange)...

From tonight on this week’s menu:
“Mallard duck, hunted in Picardy … the breast pan-seared and flambeed in a bitter orange gin, the leg smoked, in a confit, celeriac and smoked Morteau sausage, bigarade orange sauce, a lentil and cranberry compote, sweet onion with mustard seeds, black trumpet mushrooms cooked in a thick cream”...

8D8657BC-B32A-438E-9602-11D119C04AC4.jpeg

B53BE18E-3CD7-4AD6-B698-F791A97AB460.jpeg

This week’s menu includes truffles and cepe mushrooms, my favourite. Veal chop I’ve had before, excellent. Not tried the USDA Prime sirloin, but had some good feedback on the food group

8F389B46-4403-45E5-BD1E-6F4676D6BC00.jpeg

• Like 2

My first visit to Alter Ego and I could not be more impressed, from the amuse-bouche triptych to appetizers and mains.  My friend started with the foie-gras and I with the artichoke.  Superb.  For mains the Argentine beef fillet and the Picardy hare. An outstanding meal and generous welcome by our host and chef, Bruno.  My pics don't do it justice...

432AA7AA-8357-4207-8D87-9900DEB075A5.jpeg

654CE029-DE30-49E1-9338-BCDC23A332AD.jpeg

6A0AAA38-EDC8-4F5F-8227-C3D81219B885.jpeg

8EF678ED-1158-45E9-9EC1-0EFE3933EF4A.jpeg

3C673A6D-A926-4002-9F55-0AD1B5D4A711.jpeg

3B338361-3662-4015-B1EC-E40401FBC750.jpeg

C6CF78CA-D6D2-4B0F-BD3F-2FDFC5F3C4FA.jpeg

FE23608C-6E0E-485A-A123-B7C6F5E35B2A.jpeg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I have no idea where Bruno gets his inspiration from but he’s like an artist with his food creations and works in such an unusual space. Just look at the detail all works of art a shame to eat it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Czmate said:

I have no idea where Bruno gets his inspiration from but he’s like an artist with his food creations and works in such an unusual space. Just look at the detail all works of art a shame to eat it.

Yes agree completely, I support all the honest, hardworking restaurateurs providing value for money wherever I can around Pattaya, but for sheer inspiration, creativity and value, Bruno is the best in town by some margin as far as I’m concerned. The prices, whether wines, spirits, or food, given the standard - unbeatable.

Ok, if you go out to eat to be seen as much as to enjoy your food, then Alter Ego may not be your scene. It’s very laid back, and the facilities (bathrooms) are next door inside Papagayo Club. 

No judgement from me, my thing is eating good food wherever it can be found, and quality of food comes first before service and cadre. Each to their own!

• 5 months later...

Always full there, never find some free seats ...... needs a reservation.

Hope it's soon open again..... Corona...

I try to go eat there long time already.

Can't wait to return, by best dining experience in Pattaya so far.

Alteregopattaya.jpg

Alteregopattaya2.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The restaurant is open again, from 5pm until 9pm. 

Still nice food, but no alcohol like everywhere at the moment. Not many customers now, so easy to get a seat.

Normally its better to make  a reservation.

They change the menu every week I think. 

Have 3 different choice. This week beef, duck and prawn/see food.

Edited by Creamboy

• 3 years later...

In another thread I noticed a comment that "Alter Ego" has better oysters than "Cafe des Amis". Caught my attention as I think Cafe des Amis has excellent oysters. The earlier mentioned poster also said that the food at AE was much better than CDA. The two venues have very different styles and I think that type of comparison has no value.

I made an AE reservation for 4 for another couple, the Mrs, and myself. I made that reservation for a Friday night as the other poster said that was a good oyster night. Friday night Pattaya traffic was predictably bad and the construction delays on Suk out our way were almost as bad. It took 70 minutes travel time for a 25 km route.

Probably I should have spent more time reading this thread to realize better what I was getting into. When my friends and myself read the menu we were unhappy by the limited ordering choices. None of us are big eaters and an 8 course option was something none of us wanted to do. The current menu only lists that option. We spoke with the server at length about what other options might exist and she became rather vexed with us.

Additionally the vaunted oysters could not be ordered alone. There was an oyster option in the entree section, but it involved a sauce I was not interested in.

Anyway, we bailed and walked over to Beefeater, which I personally do not care for, but most everyone else seemed happy enough with. 

My takeaways:

• AE is a little too hoity toity for my crowd.
  • I doubt I will ever brave Friday Night dinner time traffic again.
  • AE is a gourmet supper club IMO, but the menu options are too restrictive. 
  • I would guess that the AE food is as good as others have stated, but not for me.

I hope that I did not offend any other well meaning posters.

Edited by ChiFlyer

15 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

In another thread I noticed a comment that "Alter Ego" has better oysters than "Cafe des Amis". Caught my attention as I think Cafe des Amis has excellent oysters. The earlier mentioned poster also said that the food at AE was much better than CDA. The two venues have very different styles and I think that type of comparison has no value.

I made an AE reservation for 4 for another couple, the Mrs, and myself. I made that reservation for a Friday night as the other poster said that was a good oyster night. Friday night Pattaya traffic was predictably bad and the construction delays on Suk out our way were almost as bad. It took 70 minutes travel time for a 25 km route.

Probably I should have spent more time reading this thread to realize better what I was getting into. When my friends and myself read the menu we were unhappy by the limited ordering choices. None of us are big eaters and an 8 course option was something none of us wanted to do. The current menu only lists that option. We spoke with the server at length about what other options might exist and she became rather vexed with us.

Additionally the vaunted oysters could not be ordered alone. There was an oyster option in the entree section, but it involved a sauce I was not interested in.

Anyway, we bailed and walked over to Beefeater, which I personally do not care for, but most everyone else seemed happy enough with. 

My takeaways:

• AE is a little too hoity toity for my crowd.
  • I doubt I will ever brave Friday Night dinner time traffic again.
  • AE is a gourmet supper club IMO, but the menu options are too restrictive. 
  • I would guess that the AE food is as good as others have stated, but not for me.

I hope that I did not offend any other well meaning posters.

I have only ate at AE once so no expert by any means, however the food was 5 star. Michellin star in fact IMHO but less expensive. However I agree the limited menu option is a big barrier to me becoming a semi regular.