Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Alter Ego soi Diana (Papa Cocktail)

Done a whole bunch of reviews on a FB food group of this newish restaurant, adjacent to Papagayo, a few doors along from Beefeater. Can’t spot one here, so copying in one of the reviews at random. Brief intro - the chef is the same guy who runs the Papagayo club, but his passion and professional training has been as a fine dining chef. So he’s doing this more as a hobby. That’s reflected in the prices. Any two dishes for 690 baht, full menu for 850. Small supplement for some dishes. Wine mark-up only about 500 or 600, even on the expensive bottles. Small intimate place, casual fine dining sums it up. Not many seats so wise to book. Only open Tuesdays to Fridays, 6.30pm to 10pm.

Fully booked again. A few disappointed punters tried their luck. Couple more dropped by an hour early to make sure their reservation hadn't been forgotten. It's not going to get any easier during high season.

Your best chance of getting in last minute is if you're ok with eating at the bar, and can get there start of evening shift, 6 - 6 30pm. No guarantees though. Makes sense to call as early as possible if you want a table. 0822180822.

Daughter kicked off with wild scallops, served raw, on a carpaccio of turnip in a ponzu sauce. Accompanied by cold black garlic mash, seaweed and cucumber, smoked soja sauce with razor clams.

I mean, who the hell thinks of that?? Inspired. No wonder the prep takes the best part of half a day before the working week even begins. 

I chose the slow-poached salmon loin, in its Oscar 697 cream sauce. Oscar 697? No question of just bunging in a bit of Mont Clair at Alter Ego. This is a dry and bitter white vermouth from Italy. And it ain't cheap, even back home. Sides of mushroom with celery seeds. On a bed of flaked grapefruit, with 'boozy raspberries'. A marriage of flavours that a talented home cook wouldn't dream up in a lifetime. Delicious.

We both followed up with the veal. Precooked at 62°, seared at 57°, to remain tender and pink. Cauliflower mash. Beer sauce - of course, not just any beer. Orval is a dry and aromatic Belgian Trappist beer, one that I would be delighted to keep in my fridge. Except I would always be running out. Kumquats with glazed baby carrots, and creamed garden peas on the side. Once again, impressed and more than happy with a combination of flavours never before encountered.

Room for a third course. Daughter had a repeat of last week's frosted passion fruit sorbet with white chocolate and soft nut sauce. Cheese board for me, although I was sorely tempted by the chocolate cake with Morello sour cherries and apricot ice cream. Next time.

Three courses, 850฿. What else can you say. We're lucky to have such a restaurant in Pattaya. — at Alter Ego.

682A190E-D7EE-4A9F-A0D2-96D24DB1CE01.jpeg

8D79C099-7AFE-47E8-9561-131B06A3C54D.jpeg

39ECF3A9-8070-41F4-A514-A04DB8AEDB5D.jpeg

C2D9F8BE-7277-4A4B-892D-6437ACEE2A5E.jpeg

481F3BF9-833E-43CF-92BD-AB243BE81F58.jpeg

AFEF567D-4105-477D-B555-9A7ADAF3194A.jpeg

944C07CC-53EC-4DDD-8FAF-C9ED0BDAA83B.jpeg

4D7D5205-8779-496F-A1A5-23F33353FDCA.jpeg

BC1BE944-1E86-4E5B-9004-261228FB7F7B.jpeg

086D1D0C-2AA8-4131-A057-2BD310129292.jpeg

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

As cocktail venue it also has one of the best range of spirits anywhere in Pattaya  to drink, from whiskey, bourbon, saki, tequila , rum, gin,

you name they seem have it.

• Like 2

Just now, shadowmaster1971 said:

As cocktail venue it also has one of the best range of spirits anywhere in Pattaya  to drink, from whiskey, bourbon, saki, tequila , rum, gin,

you name they seem have it.

Yes and the cocktails all at 149 baht. Great selection of gins,  second only to Blu's at Cafe des Amis. Top shelf whiskies, same same.

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Shit the Secrets getting out !

Have to say I’m not at all connected to this place but have been going in there for a long time if only for the fantastic range and Gin and Tonics and it is out growing the size of the place and for sure regularly full so bookings only really. The food is always looking so awesome and as mentioned for that price you could easily paying 3 or 4000 in other upmarket establishments.

• Like 2

Shame they’re stopping the 129฿ per glass of wine with free tapas Sunday nights. Some new format from next year. But to give you an idea, Alter Ego have served up mini Wagyu burgers FOC on Sundays. Or the likes of this chunk of homemade foie gras (photo), with bread from the new O’Delices bakery in Jomtien, last night.

Also attached the new weekly menu from Tuesday to Friday next week, last chance to eat there until Jan 1st (restaurant closed from 22nd December, Papa Cocktail bar stays open)

760B931E-30B3-486A-B0CC-BD049543298B.png

552AED52-30C2-41BD-8E7E-6DC89EBF2BE6.jpeg

Apologies, I got a bit carried away with this one :)

Last night at Alter Ego...

There are no half measures in French cuisine over the festive period. Roast turkey is way down the list of priorities. But unless there's a last minute cancellation, you've missed out on the epicurean bargain of the year in Pattaya with this week's Alter Ego menu. Tonight's the last night, until the New Year. Call right now, you might get lucky. 0822180822.

We coughed up a few extra charges on the basic 690฿ two course or 850฿ three course menu price, but who cares. If you'd picked my choice of dishes anywhere else in town, were they to exist, you would be paying three times the cost. In Bangkok? Hong Kong? You would have to live on bread and water for a few weeks for your budget to recover.

Parma ham and chorizo with aperitifs. A rare tuna amuse-bouche. A taste of the quality to come.

We both began with the pan-seared scallops and foie gras. This fusion of flavours has to be tried to be believed. Sublime. If you've never had it before, the scallops alone are wonderful, but paired with foie gras, this takes the dish to a whole new level. The extravagant fattiness of these ingredients alone can be a little overpowering, but the addition of a tart tangerine emulsion with an imaginative and multicolour carrot salad complements the dish to perfection, cutting into the richness. Just - wow. 100฿ supplement.

" Wild scallops - pan-fried Périgord duck foie gras on a bed of hot salted butter-warmed purple, golden, white and orange carrot salad - tangerine emulsion (+100฿)"

Charlie passed on the main course to move straight on to the more than impressive cheese board. Great bread from O'Delices. Again, a mere 100฿ supplement, bringing his two dish total to 890฿. Ludicrously cheap.

Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. I couldn't resist this main course option:

"Creamy free-range chicken and fresh black truffle risotto - soya beans - red onion - chicken, sesame and green onion broth. [Fresh truffle - French-origin Tuberum Melanosporum truffles - shaved at the last second] (+ 400฿)"

I've had some pretty ordinary risottos in my time, and a few decent ones. This one was by some distance, without a shadow of a doubt, the best one I've ever had the good fortune to savour. Every mouthful, sheer creamy bliss. Used to be lucky enough to find black truffles around my place in the south of France. Yes they are ridiculously expensive, but in the hands of the right chef, can make a very good dish mind-blowing. Bruno knows his stuff. And take a look at the pic of the truffle 'shavings'. Think he must have used a chain saw.

To conclude, I chose the raspberry tart from the selection of pastries by the best artisan baker in Thailand, O Delices Jomtien. 50฿ supplement. Fabulous.

Total 1440฿. Wine options of a Muscadet at 1400฿ and a 1500฿ Languedoc Syrah. Very nice indeed, but I should have guessed they would be outshone by the food coming out of the kitchen, and upgraded to a more full-bodied wine.

Yet another gastronomic delight at Alter Ego. Some might think I should be experimenting a little more around town. Sorry guys.

50A0AD1E-5AF0-49BE-93A8-A2719BDF967F.jpeg

A741ADF9-A29D-4C3F-80A0-B503ACAB2A27.jpeg

6F73C957-BE62-40B9-AE4D-BCB0CAD83188.jpeg

B96BC9BD-F7E2-4C1F-9376-6791F32BA81D.jpeg

3F8DB932-96CA-4001-9D8C-BB688775F12F.jpeg

257FFF6C-A300-4340-9D49-6F45625271B2.jpeg

7F092739-157C-4E9E-A6AD-6D4BE2D5F681.jpeg

• 1 month later...

On the menu this week. Some amazing flavours, always something new. 

Word of warning should anyone go this week, the paleron beef cut is not fillet/tenderloin. It’s a top blade shoulder cut, full of flavour but not tender like most Anglos prefer. 

Fantastic value as usual, can’t begin to imagine what you would pay for a three course like this in Bangkok or Paris.

A3EC48DA-83F1-4099-9F82-D9C7D7E89A44.png

453B7084-DFB6-496A-BAD4-36F53091C3E0.jpeg

BC02AC5F-0990-4241-B17A-233EF09F598F.jpeg

A5BAE45B-24F0-4A22-BD86-88CB0DA88DC3.jpeg

4DC07133-34E8-439E-9B36-45F47B8185F9.jpeg

875706F9-D439-41C1-9799-4999E5887F12.jpeg

F2837399-A9B5-4C88-8CD5-2D867064A8EE.jpeg

E74B2271-96A2-45AA-B888-5F7893D7BA86.jpeg

FEB29E6C-1DDB-4EB3-90C0-9E6E4BA9840B.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. Not for every night but definitely a must. Thanks for your work.

On 05/03/2019 at 13:01, cyclonemike said:

Wow. Not for every night but definitely a must. Thanks for your work.

Welcome...

Basic three course menu is 850฿ but some dishes carry a supplement because of the ingredients. In this dinner three supplements upped the cost, but when you look at what is included, it’s still a bargain I reckon.

Deep-sea king prawn … on a mousseline of locally grown goosefoot … black Venere rice with Chistorra sausage … grilled octopus … mango (+100฿)

Fillet of Black Angus “Reserve” (270+ day grain-fed) - pan-seared … French Santerre fingerling potatoes in duck fat … extra-fine beans in a shallot butter with a dash of Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar … shiitake mushrooms… homemade Bearnaise sauce  (+150฿)

Cheese board (+100฿)

Cocktails are quality and cheap, 149฿. Place works as a cocktail bar 6pm til early hours too, attached to Papagayo. Great wine list and about a 500฿ mark-up whatever the supplier cost so a good deal especially on the better wines. By the glass a decent selection too, between approx 190 and 220ish.

Total cost of this meal 1,200฿ before drinks. Very tough to beat in Pattaya, top drawer standards from a very fine chef.

FC24A88B-C56B-488B-91E2-B4499664ED97.jpeg

8B43191C-44A2-4F0D-8932-2E53A2848374.jpeg

22B5135E-40D6-47CF-891A-52C7889FD195.jpeg

842634AD-89D0-400A-BF38-247FD20CE14E.jpeg

712495E4-EC3B-4FB6-88AF-28B72AAF36AD.png

Edited by TWD

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t get enough of this place, sorry for repetition. Back again on Wednesday. Basic menu 890 as mentioned above but took two dishes with supplements - the trio of David Herve Royale no. 2 oysters - “the first - raw with a vinegar sauce of shallot and crushed sardines with capers ... the second - with calamondin lime and frosted banana ... the third - poached in a Delamotte champagne broth of chicken and Jerusalem artichoke (+100฿)” and the Black Angus grain-fed fillet (150฿). Low mark-ups on wines, spirits and cocktails means they sell pretty well, which has to be how they make money because it’s not on the food, not at those prices.

14CC2240-BABA-40BE-8822-CDE4921B00C5.jpeg

4B9FC584-1665-4FFA-AF0D-AAA7C02D8425.jpeg

D88C5C3F-A58C-4AF9-B38C-CE0D1D39D516.jpeg

831C7D8F-4A9D-4C6B-8DEF-1A5037B45AEB.jpeg

• 5 months later...
On 15/03/2019 at 12:02, petermik said:

How does the food compare with Chunky Monkey.............:Crazy1:

Less chunky, can’t compare the monkeys

They've got USDA Prime sirloin steak on the menu this week as part of their 3 course menu. You can eat a full menu from 850B to 1300B, which is definitely the best value fine dining in Pattaya

50 minutes ago, Hamchang said:

Blimey this place looks decent. 

Owner is a professionally trained top chef from Belgium. Pros are the food and value - he also runs the Papagayo club next door, so in a way it’s more of a favourite hobby for him, his passion has always been fine dining and fine wines. Not forgetting his collection of craft gins (about 110 at the last count), and many other top shelf spirits.

The food is not for everyone - it’s sophisticated French-style, and some find the flavour combinations a bit too much of a surprise for their taste buds. I was there once a week at least over a year (away for a few months now), and there were new and unique tastes each time. Not always to my liking, but 98% of the time. The chef isn’t interested in churning out chops and fries. He would stop tomorrow if he had to do that. It’s a challenge to him, not just a job.

The food is 100% based on quality ingredients, which makes his prices even more surprising - he is way under the costs charged elsewhere for fine dining in town.

He also charges all his top shelf drinks at the lowest prices around, and has a great wine list where he only marks up by 500-600 baht maximum even on bottles that cost 5 times that from his suppliers. 

The same wine, cocktail and spirits list, same prices, is available at Papagayo, which makes it one of the cheapest clubs for quality drinks in town.

Now for the downside. It’s tiny, really tiny. Cosy, and relaxed, but not ‘fine dining’ service with posh waiters etc. And the toilets are next door in the club - not great.

But as I only go for the top value food, wine and gins, it doesn’t bother me... but I understand it’s not everyone’s style. 

Added some pics of free appetisers with the menu. Not olives on a stick...

25B5D58F-CCB8-40AD-8A6D-807637A2C3F8.jpeg

33F6FABB-FC67-47EE-A64D-14C27793AC21.jpeg

323521E6-B804-431F-9F85-5440F65856AC.jpeg

2A3589C8-CA52-4E1A-B903-B45C92116FA7.jpeg

Edited by TWD

I pass this Papagayo offspring and always wondered why its usually full! Now I know , good booze + good food!

Im not into gin so will go for the food next trip

Thanks TWD

Ding Ding ...... Please remember to like and subscribe.

I have walked past this place on every trip multiples times and never even noticed it.

Looks high end and well priced. Pictures of the food show the chef has imagination and skills.

Interested to know how much a decent bottle of wine costs. Quality red wine at a decent price is the only thing that Pattaya lacks for me. 

I will definitely give this place a go. 

Just proves that pattaya has a surprise around every corner.

50 minutes ago, Rikamaroo said:

Quality red wine at a decent price is the only thing that Pattaya lacks for me. 

I'm more of a white wine type of guy but I do also enjoy a glass once in a while, even more so during dinner or at the beggining of the night.

Do you know any nice bar/café/restaurant that serve decent wine near the action? Not looking for the fancy place (Hilton and co).

1 hour ago, Rainville said:

I'm more of a white wine type of guy but I do also enjoy a glass once in a while, even more so during dinner or at the beggining of the night.

Do you know any nice bar/café/restaurant that serve decent wine near the action? Not looking for the fancy place (Hilton and co).

Only place I have bothered is at Beefeater with a lovely fillet steak. Good as I remember.

Wine is very expensive for even average quality in Pattaya so I stick to beer.

57 minutes ago, Rikamaroo said:

Only place I have bothered is at Beefeater with a lovely fillet steak. Good as I remember.

Wine is very expensive for even average quality in Pattaya so I stick to beer.

Jaja I know what you mean... Unfortunately for me,  I get fed up after 4/5 beers and then switch to whisky+soda/coke.