Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Manchester Airport new drop off charges

blue1878

Next month I will be flying from Manchester T1 to Thailand.  And it's always been free to be dropped off outside Departures BUT not anymore .  Earlier this year the airport  started charging if you want to be dropped off outside Departures.  £3 for 5 minutes or £4 for 10 minutes. If you don't want to pay these charges you can be dropped off at an area away from the 3 terminals and a bus will take you to your departure for free.

When I go to the airport next month I will get there for 5;45am in the morning and its going to be very cold and maybe even raining or snowing and maybe windy.  So I don't want to be dropped off at a remote location and have to wait for a bus to take me to my terminal.  So I will get my dad to drop me off outside the T1 and I will give him the money to pay so that he can drive away from the terminal.

The airport says that this is to ease congestion.  What a load of rubbish.  When I get dropped off its at a busy time and outside T1 Departures it never looks congested.  It looks busy but traffic is always moving.

It's just another way to make money.  So for me it's a rip off.  

So I think anybody who pays the charges should refuse to buy anything from the duty free shops.  And then Manchester will be the bigger losers and hopefully(but unlikely) they will stop these charges.

Shame on Manchester airport and other airports who do these charges. :NoNo3:

Airports, airlines all play these childish games

sniping little 'add on' fees for anything and everything some panel of corporate suits can invent

Shame they can’t ease congestion at passport control :P

Or get someone from Tescos self checkout to show them how to make the passport scanners work

Maybe fix the trolley machines so that you get a trolley instead of your coin just being 'eaten'

Find a shilling for the electric meter so that the travelators could be turned on

the list goes on and on

truly a dire example of a modern airport

My taxi fare has gone up £28  because of this new charge , taxi driver has to wait at airport for other customers ,so dont just drop off 

he is  a genuine guy been using him for yrs 

was wondering how much long stay is for a month might be cheaper 

my taxi charges £ 128 form n wales 

Blue they have been charging for dop off at both Stanstead and Luton Airports  for awhile and at similar money to Manchester. Just another way of adding another tax to the public who are always getting screwed over these days.

I used the new drop off bus on sunday. Actually very good. waited 3 mins for the bus (you could sit in your car). Just 5 mins to terminal 2.

Bit annoying as their is no option but to pay, to be picked up.

3 hours ago, overseas516 said:

Blue they have been charging for dop off at both Stanstead and Luton Airports  for awhile and at similar money to Manchester. Just another way of adding another tax to the public who are always getting screwed over these days.

overseas516 I've heard that about the airports but it's still annoying. Business out to squeeze every last penny out of us

2 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

I used the new drop off bus on sunday. Actually very good. waited 3 mins for the bus (you could sit in your car). Just 5 mins to terminal 2.

taylor1975 3 minutes waiting and then another 5 minutes to the terminal isnt to bad but I still plan to get dropped off outside T1 departures next month

If you are going to use an airport nowadays, then you just have to admit that you will treated like shit.

12 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

Arrange to be picked up at the roundabout across from arrivals . It's only a minutes walk across the the car park . Ive done it the last 3 times without any problems even though there are double yellow lines on the road. 

13 hours ago, nunchuck said:

My taxi fare has gone up £28  because of this new charge , taxi driver has to wait at airport for other customers ,so dont just drop off 

he is  a genuine guy been using him for yrs 

was wondering how much long stay is for a month might be cheaper 

my taxi charges £ 128 form n wales 

Prices for long stay / short stay can be found online 

https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/parking/

might be worth it considering what you are paying in taxi fares .

Aberdeen airport has been doing this for years now and the prices just keep going up and the allowed minutes goes down.

With the amount of people who use Aberdeen airport I'm surprised they don't start charging for drop off at the 3 heliports as well.

It's only back to 2007 when I was flying out of Norwich airport that they started their "airport improvement fund" and you had to pay £3 just to enter the departure lounge, it then went up very quickly to £5 and the last I'd heard it was £10. I lost count of the amount of raised voices and arguments from travellers who refused to pay the extra cost as it was not stated on their flight ticket that they had to pay this stupid rip off fee.

RIP OFF BRITAIN

6 hours ago, Hawkey said:

Arrange to be picked up at the roundabout across from arrivals . It's only a minutes walk across the the car park . Ive done it the last 3 times without any problems even though there are double yellow lines on the road. 

I believe they've installed more cameras, but good if you've found a blackspot.

I can't take the chance that pops gets stung for a fine. I would rather begrudgingly pay the £4

7 hours ago, Hawkey said:

At Manchester airport therea's a thing called a "Skylink". And it can be accessed from T1 arrivals.  And it connects T1 to T2. and half way between T1 & T3 is the airport train station.  So I'm guessing you can be dropped off and picked up by the entrance of the train station for free and then use the SkyLink to walk to and from T1 for ones flights.  So this could be another way off not paying these charges

Manchester Airport Skylink Walkway From Terminal 1 To Terminal 2

3 hours ago, blue1878 said:

At Manchester airport therea's a thing called a "Skylink". And it can be accessed from T1 arrivals.  And it connects T1 to T2. and half way between T1 & T3 is the airport train station.  So I'm guessing you can be dropped off and picked up by the entrance of the train station for free and then use the SkyLink to walk to and from T1 for ones flights.  So this could be another way off not paying these charges

No i don't think you can. The purpose of coming/going by train ....is that you don't need a car!

On 20/11/2018 at 10:39, overseas516 said:

i left my car at stanstead recently i was parking and flying,buses every 5-10 minutes to terminal same on return,this i believe is the free service for dropping off picking up,it does keep the outside of the terminal clearer,but most will just pay the charge,£7.00 at edinboro for 20 minutes and by time you find a space which could be 200-300 yards from the terminal entrance not long if you want to enter the terminal with someone.

5 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

No i don't think you can. The purpose of coming/going by train ....is that you don't need a car!

I think your right

I just don't like being ripped off

So I like to try and think of ways to get around the problem

We should request a couple of million French people to come over and protest for us because you can bet your arse the British will do fuck all.

On 20/11/2018 at 09:27, danmanc12 said:

Shame they can’t ease congestion at passport control :P

If you talking about Manchester airport they can but it will cost YOU money. £5 to be presise :Cry4:See link below

https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/at-the-airport/security-fasttrack/

If your talking about immigration at BKK airport then take a look at the link below.  This will also cost you money

https://www.limousine.in.th/fasttrack.php

On 20/11/2018 at 23:22, Hawkey said:

Double red lines coming to all approach roads to the terminals soon. With cctv used to hand out fines. 

On 20/11/2018 at 08:56, blue1878 said:

Next month I will be flying from Manchester T1 to Thailand.  And it's always been free to be dropped off outside Departures BUT not anymore .  Earlier this year the airport  started charging if you want to be dropped off outside Departures.  £3 for 5 minutes or £4 for 10 minutes. If you don't want to pay these charges you can be dropped off at an area away from the 3 terminals and a bus will take you to your departure for free.

When I go to the airport next month I will get there for 5;45am in the morning and its going to be very cold and maybe even raining or snowing and maybe windy.  So I don't want to be dropped off at a remote location and have to wait for a bus to take me to my terminal.  So I will get my dad to drop me off outside the T1 and I will give him the money to pay so that he can drive away from the terminal.

The airport says that this is to ease congestion.  What a load of rubbish.  When I get dropped off its at a busy time and outside T1 Departures it never looks congested.  It looks busy but traffic is always moving.

It's just another way to make money.  So for me it's a rip off.  

So I think anybody who pays the charges should refuse to buy anything from the duty free shops.  And then Manchester will be the bigger losers and hopefully(but unlikely) they will stop these charges.

Shame on Manchester airport and other airports who do these charges. :NoNo3:

I'm a taxi driver who goes to the airport to pick up /drop off multiple times a day in the summer,  there was congestion especially at T1 departures at the busy times of 0300 until 0600 (busiest time to drop off) before the charges were brought in. This was caused by people using the area to pick up aswell,  it simply couldn't handle all the extra traffic and those sat waiting in cars holding traffic up.  I was queued right up near to the motorway junction quite a few times with worried passengers in my car. 

It's alot better now. For the sake of £3 most of my customers are opting to still get dropped at the terminals. 

On 21/11/2018 at 06:31, blue1878 said:

No. They have the same charges at the train station. Locals using the station to commute can get a permit that allows them free drop offs. 

6 minutes ago, Lancsman1976 said:

I'm a taxi driver who goes to the airport to pick up /drop off multiple times a day in the summer,  there was congestion especially at T1 departures at the busy times of 0300 until 0600 (busiest time to drop off) before the charges were brought in. This was caused by people using the area to pick up aswell,  it simply couldn't handle all the extra traffic and those sat waiting in cars holding traffic up.  I was queued right up near to the motorway junction quite a few times with worried passengers in my car. 

It's alot better now. For the sake of £3 most of my customers are opting to still get dropped at the terminals. 

Interesting reading from a taxi drivers perspective:)

I usually get dropped off before 6am and it is busy but I've never found T1 departures congested.  Having said that I only use T1 departures once or twice a year.

People using T1 departures to pick people us is wrong 

I'll be going the airport next month and will pay the £3/£4 to be dropped off

Archived