IGNORED

Better and Easier Tourism Visa :)

Oukiva

58 minutes ago, article22 said:

Does anyone know when these rules will be applied in Thai Embassys across the world?

I need to get a SETV or METV and these changes would make my life easier for sure...

Not yet. Tourism Ministry is meant to confirm details. It’s only going to be trialled for 2 months in December & January.

I don’t think there’ll be any changes at Embassies/Consulates anyway. I’m guessing they’ll just issue an SETV as normal but Thai Immigration will let us use the visa twice.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, davidge said:

Not yet. Tourism Ministry is meant to confirm details. It’s only going to be trialled for 2 months in December & January.

I don’t think there’ll be any changes at Embassies/Consulates anyway. I’m guessing they’ll just issue an SETV as normal but Thai Immigration will let us use the visa twice.

Let me run it by you, just using a random example.

Say, I get a SETV on 20-11-18, the same SETV is valid for the next 90 days (expiring on 17-02-19). Now, suppose I enter TH on 27-11-18 & stay for the next 59 days (24-01-19). Are you saying I can re-enter TH on the same SETV say on 5-02-19 & stay another 59-60 days as allowed under SETV provisions.

I do not need to shell out money for a new SETV?

................................................................................................................

25 minutes ago, Mick Pattaya said:

Let me run it by you, just using a random example.

Say, I get a SETV on 20-11-18, the same SETV is valid for the next 90 days (expiring on 17-02-19). Now, suppose I enter TH on 27-11-18 & stay for the next 59 days (24-01-19). Are you saying I can re-enter TH on the same SETV say on 5-02-19 & stay another 59-60 days as allowed under SETV provisions.

I do not need to shell out money for a new SETV?

No one knows yet :rolleyes:

It looks like that’s the idea but still awaiting confirmation 

Though as they’re only trying it for 2 months initially, it’s difficult to see how it will actually work.

Its all very vague as well so I'm not sure i would trust what they are doing, can we be sure immigration officers will implement it consistently? I doubt it. Personally I'll get another METV as planned

No mention of Single Entries being turned into Double Entries in the article here

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tourism-and-transport/1577234/tourism-sector-told-to-brace-for-visitor-influx

Has that part been approved yet ?

I enquired at the Thai Embassy in London yesterday and was told they had never heard of such a thing, and knew nothing of the announcement made this week.

No mention of Single Entries being turned into Double Entries in the article here
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tourism-and-transport/1577234/tourism-sector-told-to-brace-for-visitor-influx
Has that part been approved yet ?
I enquired at the Thai Embassy in London yesterday and was told they had never heard of such a thing, and knew nothing of the announcement made this week.
The visa on arrival mainly applies to Chinese and Indian. As for other changes its a case of wait and see

Hi All!

Previously, tourists were allowed to enter Thailand visa exempt by land *two* times per calendar year. However, there have been (or will be) some changes.

As I read in Thaivisa.com on 14 November, 2018, I quote “Interior Ministry regulation will be amended to allow foreigners who receive a visa waiver for 30 days and travel into Thailand via land immigration checkpoints or land border checkpoints to enter the country with an unlimited number of visa waivers per calendar year.”

Does anybody know *for sure* if this regulation is already in effect, or when it will be?

I’m in the Cambodian countryside, and it would be much more convenient for me to enter by land- and I’ve already entered Thailand twice by land in 2018.

This is a rather serious issue for me, as my purpose for going to Thailand is medical. So if you know something *for sure* about this, please take a minute to reply. 

Thanks for reading, much appreciated!

• 1 month later...
On 15/11/2018 at 07:45, dave01 said:

Maybe....  but I just don't see the election as being relevant to this, just a differing opinion is all...

I wonder if some of the hysterics we read about immigration rules and implementation will subside.  This is actually a very good thing.. for many.

You are kidding right ! the Embassies not issuing pension letters is a major problem for many who would not agree with you that it is a very good thing.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

14 minutes ago, JAI DEE MAK said:

You are kidding right ! the Embassies not issuing pension letters is a major problem for many who would not agree with you that it is a very good thing.

JDM

Nope not kidding..... The last couple of days Immigration have released the guidelines for what they want people to do, for long term extensions.... 40/65K per month into a Thai Bank... depending on the extension.  Or the old seeding of 400/800K...That is the minimum requirement, so those who would have an issue with that, IMO, are people who can't meet the minimum requirement.

Anyway, this has wandered off topic... the topic was about the trial of different arrangements for tourist visas... which in my view, is a very good idea...

The 40k/65k in the thai bank account fair enough, what else could they have reasonably done. The real stickler is the potential compulsory health insurance. I just checked Cigna Global which has one of the best cover/premium. At 49 its £66 a month with £6500 excess. At 70 i think its around £300 a month. At 80 its £500 a month. This means for a lot of people forget retiring into your old age in Thailand

On 15/11/2018 at 05:24, Scuba+ said:

This is another strange one, I've not heard of any official rule about 50/50.

On 15/11/2018 at 07:33, dave01 said:

Yeah it's a myth... might be pulled out once in a while as an "excuse" to deny people entry that they just don't want here...  Makes no sense at all, when they are talking about unlimited visa waivers in the report...

If you're here more than 180 days in a year, technically you become a tax resident. I suspect at this point the concern is more about whether you're working illegally, and/or whether you're using the correct visa.

Whether it's an official rule or otherwise, there is a preponderance of evidence that you spend the majority of the year here on visa exemptions, or tourist visas, and you start getting asked questions, and risk getting turned away at the border. Doesn't happen to everyone, but I don't think it's helpful to imply 180 days is something people shouldn't concern themselves with.

but I don't think it's helpful to imply 180 days is something people shouldn't concern themselves with.

i don't think its helpful to quote 180 days when no such law regarding length of stay, so forget it

37 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

i don't think its helpful to quote 180 days when no such law regarding length of stay, so forget it

Enforcement is what matters, and this vague non-existent law by all accounts appears to be selectively enforced. Not specifically 180 days, but at the point you're in Thailand for more than 180 days, whether it's 180 or 300 days is largely inconsequential.

I have known several people who have been forced to leave Thailand due to increased pressure from immigration to stop returning on tourist visas. When it comes to the number of people warned or turn away at the border due to spending too much time here, there are plenty of reports. Number of people turned away who have been under 180 days. Not heard of any such reports, though I'm sure it happens from time to time. Leading me to reasonably believe, that the key differentiating factor, is total time spent in the country. 180 is by no means a concrete figure, but it's a reasonable ballpark.

Enforcement is what matters, and this vague non-existent law by all accounts appears to be selectively enforced. Not specifically 180 days, but at the point you're in Thailand for more than 180 days, whether it's 180 or 300 days is largely inconsequential.
I have known several people who have been forced to leave Thailand due to increased pressure from immigration to stop returning on tourist visas. When it comes to the number of people warned or turn away at the border due to spending too much time here, there are plenty of reports. Number of people turned away who have been under 180 days. Not heard of any such reports, though I'm sure it happens from time to time. Leading me to reasonably believe, that the key differentiating factor, is total time spent in the country. 180 is by no means a concrete figure, but it's a reasonable ballpark.
Its more to do with the type of visa, too many "visa exempts" will get people into trouble. Applying for too many tourist visas from a consulate will cause issues. Certain nationalities seem to get targeted more than others

1 hour ago, Scuba+ said:

Its more to do with the type of visa, too many "visa exempts" will get people into trouble. Applying for too many tourist visas from a consulate will cause issues. Certain nationalities seem to get targeted more than others

Heard stories of people with heaps of visa exempts for short stays (well north of a dozen), no problem. I would be surprised if 30 visa exempts for a total under 3 months per year would even raise an eyebrow.

I strongly suspect (just guessing) the first year or two may not matter, and that it's where there's an established history going back a few years, and you're noted to be spending the majority of the year in Thailand.

The people I personally know who had to stop - they were told in clear terms, your next entry may be denied, were British/Australian citizens. Embassy shopping didn't matter, the problems were at the border/airport, regardless of the successful application for a tourist visa.

21 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

19 hours ago, sabato said:

Heard stories of people with heaps of visa exempts for short stays (well north of a dozen), no problem. I would be surprised if 30 visa exempts for a total under 3 months per year would even raise an eyebrow.

I strongly suspect (just guessing) the first year or two may not matter, and that it's where there's an established history going back a few years, and you're noted to be spending the majority of the year in Thailand.

The people I personally know who had to stop - they were told in clear terms, your next entry may be denied, were British/Australian citizens. Embassy shopping didn't matter, the problems were at the border/airport, regardless of the successful application for a tourist visa.

On November 14, 2018 at 15:24, Scuba+ said:

This is another strange one, I've not heard of any official rule about 50/50.

Europeans get a 30 day "visa exempt" on arrival if you have no visa. It's not "visa on arrival"

On November 14, 2018 at 17:33, dave01 said:

Yeah it's a myth... might be pulled out once in a while as an "excuse" to deny people entry that they just don't want here...  Makes no sense at all, when they are talking about unlimited visa waivers in the report...
Also:
As for this being an election thing?  That is indeed strange... which group of voters would this apply to? None...  I see it as a genuine attempt to up tourist numbers... tourism is down, mainly because of safety concerns from the Chinese after the boat went down in Phuket, killing many Chinese...

They have just opened up a way for those with little cash to stay here long term....

Always a controversial topic and often fuelled by statements by those who profess to be subject experts.

image.png

image.png

Always a controversial topic and often fuelled by statements by those who profess to be subject experts.

image.thumb.png.4bca725b89b87cf0459fd6d74deb1f0e.png
image.thumb.png.efdb204910490100821289363b1c9168.png
Largely agrees with what I've been saying for a while. I didn't know about 6 visa exempts being allowed via airports, people previously have mentioned 4 in any calendar year. What's the date of those images?

On January 7, 2019 at 22:26, Scuba+ said:
On January 7, 2019 at 22:06, Whalley said:

image.thumb.png.4bca725b89b87cf0459fd6d74deb1f0e.png
image.thumb.png.efdb204910490100821289363b1c9168.png

Largely agrees with what I've been saying for a while. I didn't know about 6 visa exempts being allowed via airports, people previously have mentioned 4 in any calendar year. What's the date of those images?

It's from their current web page:

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/new-visa-rules.php

On January 7, 2019 at 22:26, Scuba+ said:

Re visa exemption rule.

Other web sites will often say that Immigration is only interested in cumulative days (90 being the max) in the country, in the previous 6 months rather than the number of visa exemption stamps. 

image.png

1 minute ago, Scuba+ said:

Strange "this is NOT the official website of the thai embassy"

No, it's a law firm and you would expect some degree of accuracy with regards to interpretation of the current rules.

1 minute ago, Whalley said:

No, it's a law firm and you would expect some degree of accuracy with regards to interpretation of the current rules.

It’s a Thai Law firm. :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, davidge said:

It’s a Thai Law firm. :rolleyes:

The question always arises whether the visa exemption rule is limited on the number of entry stamps per year or cumulative days in Thailand in the past 6 months.  Or both?

Archived