IGNORED

Lunch over in Bangsaray

ChiFlyer

Bangsaray is just down the road (South) from Pattaya. It is the town after Na Jomtien. Bangsaray has some pluses as a retirement home destination in that there are limits on building heights. I think it is 3 or 4 stories at this time. As you know Thai zoning rules are flexible and developer friendly.

Anyway, 6 of us went over for lunch today to look around a little. We went to a recently opened hotel and had lunch out at the end of a pier over the water. Really nice. I am afraid I did not do very well with the pics. I was having such a pleasant day that I did not concentrate very well on the pics. Also sweeping Ocean panoramic views are tough to capture with an iPhone 6.

Anyway, here are a few peeks.

Here are a few of the cottages one can rent. There is a very nice reflection pool just before this pic.

IMG_1981.thumb.JPG.c537db872811475e7ab8118495b9156d.JPG

This is the pier leading out to where we had lunch.

IMG_1994.thumb.JPG.bd2da66db5440e863b6e51ffd4750643.JPG

Lunch was good.

IMG_1988.thumb.JPG.c5a71ac8ab7cc6e69fb48c1d9aae1e3b.JPG

IMG_1989.thumb.JPG.fd17f63f5636e6e77aae53158211a571.JPG

IMG_1990.thumb.JPG.bf2360079288f8d7dcef68c74c458f8b.JPG

Actually, it appears that the building limit is seven stories, most of the buildings going up right now are seven stories...

Kept, where you ate, is indeed new, and IHO, fairly expensive. The only time we ate there, we found the service poor, a 40 minute gap between the serving of the first and the last main of our party of four is just not on.

there are numerous excellent local seafood restaurants on similar piers, that have neen there for many years, and serve delicious food, at prices much lower the Pattaya seafood restaurants.

43 minutes ago, Encora said:

Actually, it appears that the building limit is seven stories, most of the buildings going up right now are seven stories...

Kept, where you ate, is indeed new, and IHO, fairly expensive. The only time we ate there, we found the service poor, a 40 minute gap between the serving of the first and the last main of our party of four is just not on.

there are numerous excellent local seafood restaurants on similar piers, that have neen there for many years, and serve delicious food, at prices much lower the Pattaya seafood restaurants.

Good info. The service at Kept was pretty good today. Yes it was expensive at about 3500 baht for 6. We would have paid 1500 baht for the same meal in Pattaya, but obviously without the Ocean breezes. Two guys ordered after lunch coffees and said it really sucked.

I enjoyed my time there. Would be interested in hearing about any alternative restaurant recommendations. This was my first trip to Bangsaray.

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

Bangsaray has some pluses as a retirement home destination in that there are limits on building heights. I think it is 3 or 4 stories at this time. As you know Thai zoning rules are flexible and developer friendly.

This is Del Mare which is on Bang Saray beach. Technically though I dont think it is quite part of the municipality, by a few metres.

Del-Mare-condo-for-sale-Pattaya-21.jpg

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

This is the pier leading out to where we had lunch.

Presumably to get there you turn left past the big Wat near the main pier, rather than turning right towards Bang Saray Walking Street?

18 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Presumably to get there you turn left past the big Wat near the main pier, rather than turning right towards Bang Saray Walking Street?

Yes.

The route was rather confusing, but I would guess you can Google Map the Kemp hotel as Encora pointed out. The ladies figured out the plan of attack and a couple of Faranag came along and paid the tab. Gladly on the later.

40 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I enjoyed my time there. Would be interested in hearing about any alternative restaurant recommendations. This was my first trip to Bangsaray.

Not very helpful, I know, but over the last few years there have been a few good "bistro" style start-ups in the main part of town, near the roundabout, all of which have since failed as far as I know. It must be very hard to keep something like that going if you have to rely on local residents.
A little further down that road, on a side street, you have at least one Indian restaurant and several places that do the sort of UK meals that you might find on Soi Buakow.

None of the above has any sort of sea view, of course. There are two or three open-air restaurants on the beach near to Del Mare, and they have recently been renovated and revamped. They do have nice enough views though they also have traffic on the road. Some days I've seen them quite busy, and I only ever drive down there on weekdays as I dont like the weekend crowds. Never actually eaten in them though as I usually go there for a walk after lunch.

Been over to bangsaray a few times, to see friends, mainly in the evening, and to eat at seafood places, always enjoy it, different pace to most of parts. Remember going to bangsaray country club a few years back, not sure it’s still open. ?

I completely forgot to mention the three or four seafood places on stilts immediately to the right of the main pier, as you go towards Del Mare. These are where Thais go to in droves and most people seem to know about them. They always seemed somewhat overrated and overpriced to me, like the ones at the bottom of Jomtien Beach Road which are also very popular with Thais.

And there are many little shack restaurants further along the beach going towards Del Mare that also cater to people sitting on the beach. I've had some quite decent meals there though it's hard to recommend any particular ones as they keep changing and moving around.

This is Del Mare which is on Bang Saray beach. Technically though I dont think it is quite part of the municipality, by a few metres.
Del-Mare-condo-for-sale-Pattaya-21.jpg
Yes, the construction was going to be cancelled when, by chance, they had the land office re-check the chanote and, lo and behold, the property was actually in La Jomtien! How lucky was that!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I haven't been there in a few years but used to go a lot back when they had the little shack restaurants across from the beach. used to ride there for breakfast and look out over the water. Amazing how it has grown in the last 15 years. The Corner bar just before the beach used to serve up some pretty decent grub.

• 2 weeks later...

Made it back over for a sundown supper a few days ago. Went to what I think is the main pier this time. Had a fair sized crew of 6 people including a Thai cop. 

I am becoming interested in this area for an eventual condo residence. In addition to the Del Mare, there is a nice looking place about 300 M South of  that. Can not remember the name right now, but a realtor agent quoted me a target price of 10 M for a 2 bedroom with a sea view. I saw the complex and it is a full sea view and there does not look to be a way to obstruct it with future construction. I need a year to wind down my US holdings (sell house etc.), but am looking to understand the market.

The downside to Bangsray IMO is that one needs their own transportation for shopping trips etc to Pattaya and the traffic on Suhkumvit pretty much sucks. Also the traffic in the center of Bangsaray is no picnic either, but there are routes to the North Part of town (which is where the condos are that interest me) that avoid said traffic.

A few pics.

Looking back from the table we grabbed near the end of the pier.

IMG_2028.thumb.JPG.8216813ca3a60fdf3665cda24eb14303.JPG

A few sundown pics. It was nice being there.

IMG_2026.thumb.JPG.3f9ea0c72a5e50f8a41f118aff3ec410.JPG

IMG_2024.thumb.JPG.52de7189976a5b64dc286eacad7b811d.JPG

8 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I am becoming interested in this area for an eventual condo residence. In addition to the Del Mare, there is a nice looking place about 300 M South of  that. Can not remember the name right now, but a realtor agent quoted me a target price of 10 M for a 2 bedroom with a sea view. I saw the complex and it is a full sea view and there does not look to be a way to obstruct it with future construction. I need a year to wind down my US holdings (sell house etc.), but am looking to understand the market.

The downside to Bangsray IMO is that one needs their own transportation for shopping trips etc to Pattaya and the traffic on Suhkumvit pretty much sucks.

Presumably this place (old image): https://goo.gl/maps/t8o7iRys7Fo

Watch out as that beach can be very noisy in the evening when the boom-boom trucks are out. It would drive me mad(der).

The Sukumvit traffic should improve to an extent when the new stretch of motorway opens at the end of next year. It will certainly be very easy to get to BKK when it does open.

Also, have a look at the several new developments on the other side of Sukumvit, though they are more houses than condos. And there are several quite nice condo buildings, new and old, north of Bang Saray on the sea side.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Del Mar. The place is an absolute ghost building, and I'd worry that the Thai owners will stop paying their monthly fees. The building is also a real eyesore.

Frankly, the only condo I'd look at is the one just north of the Navy training center. It's the only condo that is actually on the beach. It is older, but appears to be very well maintained. I think the common fees are high, but you get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Presumably this place (old image): https://goo.gl/maps/t8o7iRys7Fo

Watch out as that beach can be very noisy in the evening when the boom-boom trucks are out. It would drive me mad(der).

Not sure on that locale. Next time I am over I will make sure to write down the name.

Good tip about the beach noise. I do not need to get any mad(der) either. One of the main points for my interest in this locale is to reduce the noise level.

8 hours ago, basket case said:

Personally, I wouldn't touch Del Mar. The place is an absolute ghost building, and I'd worry that the Thai owners will stop paying their monthly fees. The building is also a real eyesore.

I personally see some merit in ghost buildings: I like peace and quiet, and people who arent there wont be damaging or dirtying the infrastructure. Lots of parking spaces too.

Non-payment of common fees should not be a serious issue as legal solutions of charging interest are quite clearly defined. Also no one can sell a condo which has outstanding debts on it, and the law allows for a condo with large debts to be sold by court order to pay the bills, so one day or another even the Thais will have to pay.

That said, charging interest and generally getting people to pay up is the job of the JPM. If the JPM is a lazy deadbeat (which many are here) then it may all drag on for years. But if the JPM is any good he will hit the nail on the head fast.

Archived