Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Q - Coffee Bean Brand Recommendations ?

ChiFlyer

Both in Northern Thailand as well in Laos they grow excellent coffee, I can't quite see the reason to try and buy Ethipoian or Guatamala coffe when in Thailand.
I brought my own Saeco machine, bought in Switzerland 20 years ago. It is the same machine as is used in many coffee shops and restaurants in Pattaya, and gets a yearly service from Boncafe in N Pattaya.
They  replaced my grinder a few years ago, and more recently the electronic brain that runs the machine, dare I call it "the motherboard". But it is built like a tank, and makes a mean cup of coffee. 

Until recently I bought my coffee, Thai Arabica, from "The Kings Shop" in the basement of Central, but that has now closed. Does anyone know where that same coffee can be bought here in Pattaya? Until then, the Thai Arabica from Boncafe will have to do....

9 minutes ago, Encora said:

Both in Northern Thailand as well in Laos they grow excellent coffee, I can't quite see the reason to try and buy Ethipoian or Guatamala coffe when in Thailand.
I brought my own Saeco machine, bought in Switzerland 20 years ago. It is the same machine as is used in many coffee shops and restaurants in Pattaya, and gets a yearly service from Boncafe in N Pattaya.
They  replaced my grinder a few years ago, and more recently the electronic brain that runs the machine, dare I call it "the motherboard". But it is built like a tank, and makes a mean cup of coffee. 

Until recently I bought my coffee, Thai Arabica, from "The Kings Shop" in the basement of Central, but that has now closed. Does anyone know where that same coffee can be bought here in Pattaya? Until then, the Thai Arabica from Boncafe will have to do....

We obviously have very different tastes in coffee.

Most of the places in Pattaya recommended by BMs on here I’ve found pretty much undrinkable.

Life would be boring if we all had the same preferences. :D

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Check Benjamet behind Soi Buakhao market, they sell beans used by coffee shops

• 4 weeks later...

Happened across this place online, if anyone fancies a short trip to see what beans they sell? :)

500B1FAD-4535-4A86-AA87-4E76E54BEE64.thumb.jpeg.4c6b98ed5d552ec8bc72ad4e2c33e804.jpeg

On 27/10/2018 at 04:43, Scuba+ said:

Check Benjamet behind Soi Buakhao market, they sell beans used by coffee shops

I agree. I have become a fan of Benjamet for fresh roasted beans. As I think I said earlier in this thread, the bags are clearly marked as to when they were roasted and everything was quite recent. Their Thai Arabica was very good and they also had a bag of the Ethiopian one that Davidge likes. I will probably be making a trip over tomorrow morning for a few bags. I hear the in house brew is also very good, so that sounds like a good way to start Thanksgiving/Loykrathong.

Stopped by Benjamit's today.

I picked up 3 250 gram bags of the Thai Arabica for 140 a bag. I also picked up 1 bag of the Ethiopian variety that Davidge likes just to check it out. That was a 250 gram bag for 400. Basically, the domestic beans are 140 and the imported are 400. In addition to the Ethiopian variety there were beans available from Guatemala, Indonesia, and Brazil. There was also a sign for beans from Costa Rica, but they may have been out. If there are not available beans by the type you want, one should ask. They have more in the back that have not been bagged just yet. 

The breakfast pastries and the house brews looked really good, but I was not hungry and already caffeinated.

While there isn't the level of decent artisan coffee shops in Pattaya like in other major cities there are *enough* to keep you going :)

Can only see things getting better, took BKK a long time to catch on as well.

The funny thing now is that when I travel to a new city, the first thing I google for is the best artisan coffee shops! How the base instincts, die down as you get older lol.

Benjamit's are definitely a good stop for getting your beans, probably the best imo in Pattaya.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts on the coffee, once it has been ground and brewed, @ChiFlyer

11 hours ago, article22 said:

Benjamit's are definitely a good stop for getting your beans, probably the best imo in Pattaya.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts on the coffee, once it has been ground and brewed, @ChiFlyer

I have ground and brewed the Thai Arabica before and I was happy with it. They have two roasts for this variety of bean (one lighter and one darker(Vienna Roast they call the darker one)). I buy the lighter one as I enjoy breakfast coffees. It had a great smell and the taste was lighter, but with some nice subtler tones. 

It will be two weeks before I get to the Ethiopian one. I am expecting it to be a little more powerful, more of a medium roast.

I have ground and brewed the Thai Arabica before and I was happy with it. They have two roasts for this variety of bean (one lighter and one darker(Vienna Roast they call the darker one)). I buy the lighter one as I enjoy breakfast coffees. It had a great smell and the taste was lighter, but with some nice subtler tones. 
It will be two weeks before I get to the Ethiopian one. I am expecting it to be a little more powerful, more of a medium roast.

Some of the coffee shops that use Benjamet mix the beans, i.e. 50% Thai, probably for cost, but taste may be improved

21 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Stopped by Benjamit's today.

I picked up 3 250 gram bags of the Thai Arabica for 140 a bag. I also picked up 1 bag of the Ethiopian variety that Davidge likes just to check it out. That was a 250 gram bag for 400. Basically, the domestic beans are 140 and the imported are 400. In addition to the Ethiopian variety there were beans available from Guatemala, Indonesia, and Brazil. There was also a sign for beans from Costa Rica, but they may have been out. If there are not available beans by the type you want, one should ask. They have more in the back that have not been bagged just yet. 

The breakfast pastries and the house brews looked really good, but I was not hungry and already caffeinated.

Much as I like the Sidamo, I can’t see myself paying nearly £40 a kilo for it :Blur:

Guess I’ll have to develop a taste for the Thai beans when I spend longer in Pattaya. I carry enough with me now to last for my month’s stay.

• 2 weeks later...

I live on Laotian coffee right now which is very decent and I can get it for 12 USD a kilo in Phnom Penh.

When waiting for a bus in Ubon I had a coffee at the fancy coffee shop at the terminal which used the bon cafe stuff. Very disappointing, and even more so at the price of the beans (they had to pass it on to the customer). The situation was somewhat surreal with the Laotian coffee plateau almost around the corner. People buy brands nowadays.

http://www.cpc-laos.org/

In Thailand I have made good experiences in Chiang Mai and around with fair trade coffee from the hill tribes. As for the Philippines they have excellent coffee often from small local producers. Try Matutum 100% Arabica. I get mine freshly roasted from the producers.

All the above pertains to  Arabica beans. I like to check them before buying so nothing from closed bags.

In general, I find the value of the local beans first class and I often bring some coffee as presents which is very much liked. People outside the region have little idea of the Laotian production and the small Thai cooperatives. Philippines coffee is by and large forgotten thanks to Nestle. Comparably few people appreciate the coffee from the mountain province, places in Batangas, and even less from Mindanao. The example shows what multinationals can do to once popular coffee culture.

In Thailand, too, the traditional coffee stalls are disappearing. I had lots of first class coffee before sunrise when arriving on an night bus from bkk. Sitting at a bus station on a plastic chair, having those oily donuts, and a hot coffee. No idea which beans the guys used but they knew their business. And it was at a price anyone could afford.

These lines are a bit off topic but might tempt one or another reader to give local coffee a try. Not just the beans but also the culture around it. I found boncafe a bastardization of Thai coffee. Still looking for a good grinder. They dont do the old stone ones anymore it seems and the left ones are now decoration.

Archived