IGNORED

I'm about to buy the Sony A7 III .... anything other camera I should consider before buying?

rainman333

well  I'm  about to purchase the sony a7 iii for $2k usd + the sony 85mm lens for $550 usd.....

I will be selling my canon t6i + sigma lenses (prob worth about $900 usd total)......

I really like the eye auto focus thing sony has.  I guess I am drinking the sony a7iii hype too much lol

so any other camera I should consider before making the switch?

As long as you can swing the cost of the [usually higher priced] lenses, go for it.  

Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.

12 hours ago, The Sculptor said:

As long as you can swing the cost of the [usually higher priced] lenses, go for it.  

yeah sony lenses are really expensive, i believe i can get away with just using the 85mm lens since i'll mainly be using it for taking photos of girls.  I'm considering getting the kit lenses too but heard bad things about them. If need be, i will take the hit and buy the sony 24-105mm lens for like $800 or so...hopefully not needed :)

Taking only a 85 mm if you want to photograph girls maybe a bit limiting, if you want a full figure, you have to go quite some distance away, not always possible in a room. I would consider also getting a 35 mm as well as the 85, or if only one lens, getting a 50 mm or an 35 mm. The Sony can also take a wide range of other lenses if you use a convertor, and many old lenses are quite cheap second hand.

If you are starting from scratch it is a pretty good choice. For me I am heavily invested into Nikon, ridiculously so but that is a whole other story. Nikon and Canon are about to release their serious mirrorless options. I was going to get a D850 but decided to wait until the mirrorless options came to market and see if the advantages of mirrorless were enough to over ride the disadvantages of mirrorless. 

I think the next six months will paint a really clear picture for the system to go for. Sony have made a good case for their body's, The lenses less so. I think Nikon and Canon will swing the axe pretty hard when they come into the mirrorless market. We wait and see. 

Nikon is supposed to be dropping two new full frame cameras in two weeks.  Something to think about.

12 hours ago, Encora said:

Taking only a 85 mm if you want to photograph girls maybe a bit limiting, if you want a full figure, you have to go quite some distance away, not always possible in a room. I would consider also getting a 35 mm as well as the 85, or if only one lens, getting a 50 mm or an 35 mm. The Sony can also take a wide range of other lenses if you use a convertor, and many old lenses are quite cheap second hand.

that's a good point.  I think I'll have to re-evaluate my lens choices. Last time I was using a 50mm lens (canon 50mm 1.8 or something like that) and found it to be limited in getting the full body, I had to turn the camera sideways in most cases. 

2 hours ago, MrLek said:

If you are starting from scratch it is a pretty good choice. For me I am heavily invested into Nikon, ridiculously so but that is a whole other story. Nikon and Canon are about to release their serious mirrorless options. I was going to get a D850 but decided to wait until the mirrorless options came to market and see if the advantages of mirrorless were enough to over ride the disadvantages of mirrorless. 

I think the next six months will paint a really clear picture for the system to go for. Sony have made a good case for their body's, The lenses less so. I think Nikon and Canon will swing the axe pretty hard when they come into the mirrorless market. We wait and see. 

Yeah the only lens I have is a sigma lens for canon and a canon 50mm lens, so I can switch pretty easily without taking a big hit.

I actually considered getting the nikon d750 but that was before hearing about the sony a7iii

5 minutes ago, Roadglide said:

Nikon is supposed to be dropping two new full frame cameras in two weeks.  Something to think about.

thanks I will wait and see then.  I have about 2 months before my next trip :)

Your old Cannon was a APSC camera. Your 50mm gave you about the same focal length as an 85mm mounted in a full frame camera. 

I would suggest a 50 and an 85 f1.8 lens along with a travel zoom, something like a 24-105 or 24-120f4. A small flash is also in my kit when I travel. 

7 hours ago, MrLek said:

Problem with Sony bodies is that they are not weather sealed to the same level as the 6d or D750 models, and the pro level bodies are sealed even better. Sony bodies have poor weather resistance. 

I have had a Canon 5d Mark IV, Nikon d750 and now own the Sony A7III with a 24-240 lens plus a couple of Zeiss Batis,and the camera is outstanding, better than both the Canon and Nikon.About 10,000 wedding pics in and I don't remember having an out of focus pic.The recent Nikon Mirrorless cameras released look to be a big disappointed.The Sony lenses are expensive but luckily their 28mm F2 is great value and their 85mm 1.8 is outstanding for the money.Add a little Godox lithium battery flash for about £150 and off you go!

Nikon Z6 and Z7 announced yesterday , might be worth waiting for the reviews once they are launched 

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

• 2 weeks later...

just and update:

after looking at the Nikon z6 and canon's EOS R offerings, I wasn't that impressed by them and have placed an order for the sony A7 iii (apparently they are all sold out and in back order everywhere).  I will also by getting the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for it.

If it is mainly for taking photographs of girls, then get a compact. You will find the girls are more relaxed than faced with a big fancy camera. And better for walking about with.

Unless you have been highly sucessful in getting 'models'  to come to your room.

I have seen many guys come to Pattaya with new fancy cameras and expensive lenses and go away with nothing worth looking at.

Anyway good luck with your new camera and perhaps you will post some photos of your girls.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

56 minutes ago, Billyboy294 said:

If it is mainly for taking photographs of girls, then get a compact. You will find the girls are more relaxed than faced with a big fancy camera. And better for walking about with.

Unless you have been highly sucessful in getting 'models'  to come to your room.

I have seen many guys come to Pattaya with new fancy cameras and expensive lenses and go away with nothing worth looking at.

Anyway good luck with your new camera and perhaps you will post some photos of your girls.

Sorry too late. i did not see your last post.

3 hours ago, Billyboy294 said:

In case anyone is thinking on buying a compact here is a list. I am not sure if they are in in order of preference.

The 10 best digital compact cameras in 2018
  • Panasonic TZ100 / SZ100. A pocket-friendly travel zoom packing a superb range of features. ...
  • Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II. When it comes to handling, Canon's classy compact has it made. ...
  • Fujifilm X100F. ...
  • Panasonic LX100. ...
  • Leica Q (Typ 116) ...
  • Panasonic LX15 / LX10. ...
  • Ricoh GR II. ...
  • Sony RX100 V.

10 hours ago, rainman333 said:

just and update:

after looking at the Nikon z6 and canon's EOS R offerings, I wasn't that impressed by them and have placed an order for the sony A7 iii (apparently they are all sold out and in back order everywhere).  I will also by getting the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for it.

As someone who uses the camera every day I think you have made the right decision.Nikon and Canon still leaving specs out of their cameras on purpose.Make sure you get good use out of it as they depreciate quicker as Sony update bodies more regularly.

I have Canon 7D mark 11 for Sport, Canon 5D mark 3 Just because and Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III for travel I would suggest the new Canon EOS R

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 02:17, rainman333 said:

well  I'm  about to purchase the sony a7 iii for $2k usd + the sony 85mm lens for $550 usd.....

I will be selling my canon t6i + sigma lenses (prob worth about $900 usd total)......

I really like the eye auto focus thing sony has.  I guess I am drinking the sony a7iii hype too much lol

so any other camera I should consider before making the switch?

Never ever buy a digital Sony camera.

About half of them become unusable with an “E:62:10” error (“issue of stabilisation”), usually after the guarantee expires.

This problem is known for more than ten years, but Sony doesn’t care.

Just google “Sony E:62:10”.

The Sony a7 iii is a nice camera, but keep in mind it's a full frame camera and therefore the lenses for it are on par size/weight/cost wise with full frame dslr lenses from canon/Nikon.

I recently sold off all my full frame dslr gear and "downsized" to micro four thirds. I went with a Panasonic G9 and will probably pick up a g9x for a more portable street photography option.  U43 isn't as good as ff in low light, but fast glass in u43 format is relatively cheap and small.

On 9/7/2018 at 06:34, rainman333 said:

just and update:

Great choice. The Tamron lens is really light and is a fixed 2.8. A really good travel kit. That one body and lens will do most of what you need. 

I have the Sony A65 and love it.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

Archived