IGNORED

which bike to buy

MikeShiva

I bought a Honda Click 125i end of last year and very happy with it, circ 50k, i enjoy riding it as much as i did with my big bikes in the UK. Great acceleration, and lightweight so easy to move when parking on the street. Being 125cc is helpful for travel insurance to cover you as standard.

My next choice would be Yamaha, probably Aerox. I wouldn't go for a PCX

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought  Yamaha Aerox  155 with ABS new about 6 months ago and have done over 2000Km on it and its been great, nice and comfortable and with no problems what so ever.

The Aerox is a good looking bike and is value for money but the only thing that puts me off a bit is the small fuel tank. 4.6 liters compared with 8 for the PCX. 

"Having said that I'm planning my next trip for 6 months and seriously thinking about buying an Aerox 155"

If you intend to get travel insurance check the EXCLUSIONS, most only cover you upto 125cc

Bought a Yamaha Exciter 150 last year.  I wanted a bike with a proper manual gearbox, but still lady friendly in that you’re not seated on it like a crotch rocket (ala CBR, YZF).  It will carry two with ease at 90  - 100km/h.  The main negative is that the front end is a bit soft.  

"Disappointing girls one inch at a time"

On 4/10/2018 at 11:14, nil said:

The Aerox is a good looking bike and is value for money but the only thing that puts me off a bit is the small fuel tank. 4.6 liters compared with 8 for the PCX. 

Yes i get about 150km per tank, mainly with the wife on the back. But as i only really use it around town not for touring you are never that far from any petrol station so not so much a problem.

On 4/10/2018 at 10:29, striderman said:

here u go................

SAM_0436_800x600.jpg.03ff9e8750f647b0adebc3c885a67255.jpg

Honda Gold Wing perhaps ?

On 4/10/2018 at 07:29, striderman said:

here u go................

SAM_0436_800x600.jpg.03ff9e8750f647b0adebc3c885a67255.jpg

Good old James arguably the most photographed bike in Pattaya. 

I miss him my son thought he was fantastic.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

On 08/04/2018 at 15:13, MikeShiva said:

How much you pay for it? Heard  many  dealers jack up the price.

New pcx is 95000 baht 

I prefer a smaller bike for around town.  I like the Click best for putting around in town (can put crap between legs) but like the Neuvo Elagance better for riding to BC and such.  Have put about 4000km on each in Pattaya.  

I'd probably go used and just buy 2 bikes.  A Click town and a road trip/longer ride bike.  Probably a Versus or CB500X (lots of Versus available used and as close as I'll find to my VStrom without the import taxes, CB500X harder to find).  If money is an issue maybe a CB300F (but I rode the BMW310R and felt a 300 is a little small and a windshield is nice)

I'd rather spend 95k on a used  CB300(70k) and a 25k used Click than 70k on a new Aerox or PCX.  The bigger Scooters are too big in town but not big enough on the road IMO (Haven't road the Aerox, just the PCX).  Selling a couple years down the line maintenance on the 2 used bikes vs depreciation on the new scooter would probably be a wash(or close enough for me).  

Guess it depends what you plan to use it for.  

I'll be shopping in May/June

8 hours ago, NorCalKid said:

Probably a Versus or CB500X (lots of Versus available used and as close as I'll find to my VStrom without the import taxes, CB500X harder to find).

Indeed. Perhaps because those of us that have CB500X's have no intension of selling the CB500X's. 555 

(Really, the 500X is a wonderful bike stock, and if you add the Tractive designed suspension marketed by Rally Raid Products in England, it's really an outstanding bike. Ohlins Asia makes an aftermarket front and rear suspension replacement but I don't know anyone who has tried one.)

I currently have a Yamaha Elegance(135cc) for around town which I picked up 2nd hand el cheapo a few years ago. Like Mike I am looking at  new bike. I like the PCX 150 and the Yamaha 155 Aerox. I appreciate that the PCX established a new benchmark. However, I am curious as to why the PCXs are more expensive that the Yamahas. As I see it - the Aerox seem to offer more for less cost.  I would be very interested to read the opinions of "informed" Board Members.

Any other members of a similar view?  

I rode a PCX for 3 years, then recently switched to an Aerox. If taking longer runs then I would recommend the PCX, if used just around town then the Aerox.

PCX is like an armchair and greater range before re-filling, Aerox only goes about half the distance on a tankful, around town though I do not notice it.  What I do notice is the Aerox is far more nimble in traffic and fast enough to get clear of traffic.

90% of my riding is alone when I do have the lass with me she expresses no preference other than asking me to trade in for a CB500X's :Evil_Grin2:

2 hours ago, Jarrod2518 said:

I currently have a Yamaha Elegance(135cc) for around town which I picked up 2nd hand el cheapo a few years ago. Like Mike I am looking at  new bike. I like the PCX 150 and the Yamaha 155 Aerox. I appreciate that the PCX established a new benchmark. However, I am curious as to why the PCXs are more expensive that the Yamahas. As I see it - the Aerox seem to offer more for less cost.  I would be very interested to read the opinions of "informed" Board Members.

Any other members of a similar view?  

I'm not quite sure how informed I am. :-) Honda small and Big Wing shops are all over Thailand. At a guess, I'd say I see three or four times more Honda bike shops than any other brand. They would have to sell a lot of bikes to keep up with that many shop fronts, and even small villages seem to have at least one Honda Small Wing dealer.

I only see a few Yamaha shops in my travels. I suspect Yamaha is reducing their price point to get you to buy their bike rather than getting a Honda. Price point is a pretty big factor when you are trying to grow a market share. And if you already have the market share, I think there is a tendency to say 'screw it, we already have the market, we don't have to discount.' 

I like the PCX with its taller wheels for going over the many speed bumps in my neighborhood, but my Yamaha Nmax has ABS brakes for those wet days.  Is Honda offering ABS on the PCX now? 

Last year I bought the new Honda 300 Rebel with ABS.  Nice little cruiser. 

Having ridden in the USA for years I've owned a dozen plus motorcycles from dirt bikes to tourers, it's hard to find any single model that will meet all your needs. As NorCal mentioned a couple of different bikes would maximize satisfaction. 

First ask yourself what will it be used for.

My friend bought one 2 months ago and I advised him to get the Yam QBix as it is the only properly modern scooter for the price. The Click is essentially the same bike for the last 5+ yrs.

Look for a step through with a bag hook and under seat space for the best balance of usability and ease of use in urban environments. Top boxes are a pain unless on a bigger bike.

The bigger Scooters (Aerox, PCX etc) tend to lose the bag hook for more stability and comfort at speed, so they are best for commuter bikes.

Bigger bikes aren’t really worth the money unless you want to start riding for fun.

Be wary of 2nd hand bikes if you aren’t mechanically minded.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 09:25, MikeShiva said:

Assuming I go with the Honda PCX-- where in Pattaya is the most honest dealer?

i have a PCX 150 keyless latest modle about 4,000 km RED/BLACK .FORSALE

EX IS SELLING SO IF INTERESTED GET IN TOUCH

Hope it isn't too late. Thanks for all who piped in. My question is, how important are ABS brakes on a bike?

Hope it isn't too late. Thanks for all who piped in. My question is, how important are ABS brakes on a bike?
I would opt for ABS next time, it may save you from locking up the front. I had it on my ex BMW bike but i don't think it ever kicked in.

If you do lock the front without ABS you'll kick yourself assuming you aren't hurt

I had ABS on my BMW 750cc in Oz. However, here in Thailand I would consider them to be useful but not essential. Reason - ABS brakes provide limited safeguard against bad roads, potholes and just insane driving practices of the other Thai road users.  Defensive riding is better! 

On the other hand, I'll always opt for ABS if it's available as an option. Fortunately on more and more bikes, it's no longer an option, you get it or you don't get the bike. :-) If you don't need it, ABS sits back and does nothing. If you ever need it, and you didn't buy it, then (typically) you're screwed. 

I'll agree 100% with defensive driving though. Prevention is best.

(And so far as I know, ABS was never designed to deal with bad roads, potholes, or insane driving practices. It was designed to limit loss of traction when braking. For that, it does a great job, and "cheap insurance" I'm happy to have on my bike.) 

• 3 weeks later...

Man,  second hand bike shopping here is a bitch.  Very limited availability and people just don't take care of their shit.  At home guys have a bike as a toy,  their baby and take care of it as such.   Here bike is just transportation and seems to be treated as such.   Bikes in way worse condition than home,  very limited selection,   the bikes year never what they say,  etc.   

Maybe easier if not looking for a couple specific big bike models. 

Saw a CB300R for the first time in person.   Not really what I'm looking for but I was totally impressed W the styling. 

Archived