Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

which bike to buy

MikeShiva

Going to buy a new motor scooter next month.  Am interested mostly in Honda and Yamaha.

Advice over which bike to buy, up to 150 pc.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was getting ready to buy my first one, what I did was to rent a different model every month. That way, I could give each one a really good test, and see what I thought about it for a longer term. 

I'll readily admit to being something of a Honda fanboy; if it were me buying something <=150cc, I'd get either a PCX or an Aerox (nah, who am I kidding, I wouldn't ever buy a Yamaha for myself) :-)  555

My PCX just got sold to make room for my new Forza (which is twice the ccs you're looking for) The PCX was a great scooter for several years. I sold mine in part because I wanted front and rear ABS disc brakes, and the PCX does not offer that. The high-end version of the Aerox does (but then it's also a Yamaha).

Only you can decide for you, so I'd really suggest you go rent a couple of different models, and let your own butt decide where it wants to sit. :-)

I'll add that another part of selling the PCX was that I did a 300km ride one day, and at the end of the day my butt was killing me. The Forza is much more comfortable, and part of what I was looking for was a second bike able to comfortably do distance.  

bikes.thumb.jpg.31595bc3fabdb180666817bca39ea3e2.jpg

Not pictured is a Moove the wife uses for quick trips in the village. The actual, for real, motorcycles can be more fun to ride, but if you're talking about a town bike (as opposed to a trip bike), it's hard to beat a scooter with adequate underseat storage. Since I have both to choose from, most of the time if I'm going to do some shopping in town, I'll take the scooter. I've got panniers, but underseat storage is a lot more convenient. Panniers can hold a lot, but they make in town parking unpleasant at best. :-) 

Scooter? Get a man's motorcycle. 80,000 baht at Mityon on Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road.

bike.jpg.ab02dcc80f1142235b8b346bbec9689b.jpg

Mike the PCX by Honda is a good choice for you and your Lady..Can carry 2 People plus groceries in comfort--Easy to park Easy to drive..

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

I think I would go for an aerox but in actuality your best bike around town may be the click. 

I can sell my bike to you. But it's 150cc+600=750cc

mybike1.jpg

Have used many small Scooters over the years.  My favorite is the 150cc PCX,  I found it to be economical and comfortable.

The latest model has ( I found ) a confusing alarm on/off set up....

Drive carefully Mike.

Assuming I go with the Honda PCX-- where in Pattaya is the most honest dealer?

One other question.   Assuming I bought a PCX new and it is routinely serviced.   How many km can I expect to drive it before I need a replacement?

I've bought a bike from the Honda small wing across from Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang, and I bought my PCX150 years ago from the Honda small wing at Third Road and Pattaya Tai. Didn't have any issues with either of them. 

My opinion is that with regular maintenance, you'll get tired of the scooter before the scooter wears out. I'd agree with the PCX being near perfect for an intown bike. There's lots of underseat storage, and enough getup and go to not be too worried 2up on Sukhumvit.

All the Dealerships are about the Same as well as the Prices..I bought Mine on Trepassit Road behind Tesco at the Big Honda Shop...Also a New Shop just opened on Chiyapuk 2 just across the Traffic light on Sukumvet...It does Not appear to be owned by Mityon so May give you a better discount? A serviced PCX can run you for Years and can go up to 100,000 KM with No Major Work done...Put a Givi Box on the Back and buy a weeks worth of food at one time plus Carrys 2 Adults with Ease..Honda the #1 Selling Bike in all of Thailand

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

2 hours ago, Lok Jit said:

All the Dealerships are about the Same as well as the Prices..I bought Mine on Trepassit Road behind Tesco at the Big Honda Shop...Also a New Shop just opened on Chiyapuk 2 just across the Traffic light on Sukumvet...It does Not appear to be owned by Mityon so May give you a better discount? A serviced PCX can run you for Years and can go up to 100,000 KM with No Major Work done...Put a Givi Box on the Back and buy a weeks worth of food at one time plus Carrys 2 Adults with Ease..Honda the #1 Selling Bike in all of Thailand

I agree the PCX 150 is the best choice. I would add to the above that the PCX holds its value better than most bikes.

Shop around and look for the best deal Most will have the same basic price but many will offer Free insurance ( make sure you get Class one ) and helmets and other things.

As mentioned before you buy try a few models out you will be amazed at the difference.

Also mentioned was a click it only has one rear shock not good for two adults but ok for a 55kg Thai.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

I bought a second-hand Honda Click 11 years ago and have never regretted it for a second, it's been a great bike with hardly ever a problem and it's still going strong.

PCX 150  all the way. Get a brand new one from Mityon and off you go. As for how long it will last? It will out last you. 

3 minutes ago, Hamchang said:

PCX 150  all the way. Get a brand new one from Mityon and off you go. As for how long it will last? It will out last you. 

How much you pay for it? Heard  many  dealers jack up the price.

i bought mine in 2012 so not really relevant. The prices doesn't vary much and I find it better to use the deal nearest to my house in case of problems than to save a thousand baht. 

I've rented several different bikes over the years, including a PCX, but prefer the Click. It's easier to weave through traffic and park than the PCX and the newer Clicks have plenty of power. The number of rear shocks have nothing to do with load carrying capacity. Most modern big bikes and all off-road bikes have a single rear shock.  

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

On 4/7/2018 at 04:43, Garzan said:

I wouldn't ever buy a Yamaha for myself) :-)  555

Not pictured is a Moove the wife uses for quick trips in the village. The actual, for real, motorcycles can be more fun to ride, but if you're talking about a town bike (as opposed to a trip bike), it's hard to beat a scooter with adequate underseat storage.

What don't you like about Yamaha bikes? If memory serves I bought a 12 string Yamaha guitar in Hong Kong once and it was just fine...or maybe that's the problem...don't try to produce too many different products at once? 

While being bled by my "cah" this week for another expensive repair (aren't they all in a 1st world country...$120/hr in a non-dealership shop!) I got the thought "Why not just buy a bike?" Cooling system, AC, power steering repairs? Nyet! Potential of way more for medical bills if you aren't skillful/lucky/blessed...much higher, but that's another discussion. 

Below is a Yamaha 250 cc twin, available used locally for $2300 USD, 2k miles. What's there not to like about this other than being undersized for freeway speeds? It seems like just the thing for a short, non-freeway commute to work? Also advertised locally is a restored Honda CB 450 CC for $3k. I rode one of these years ago. Nice bike. :)

Course $2300 would more than fix all existing and potential (knock on wood) cah problems so the bike idea is on hold I guess. And yeah, a scooter would probably make more sense in town. 

Saw a nice and new looking 150 cc scooter this evening. The speedometer goes to 80 MPH. You suppose it REALLY goes that fast? I won't be the one testing that. :unsure:

Your bikes in the kitchen are a nice touch. ;)

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/cruiser/models/v-star-250

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB450

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SboeYSrJLao

Better the kitchen than the livingroom. :-)  It works out well though, the wife gets half the carport for her outside kitchen, I get to keep half the carport for the bikes. 555

There really isn't anything wrong with Yamaha products, from motorcycles to musical instruments. I just have a personal bias toward Honda motorcycles. Others may have a personal bias away from Honda motorcycles. Same with photography equipment. I always buy Nikon stuff, but Canon makes some fine cameras and lenses--just not for me. :-)

That's part of why I noted in my initial post a little ways back that I freely admit to being a bit of a Honda two-wheel fanboy. There are a lot of great bikes around, but my own money will likely go to Honda when I'm thinking of replacing one of the five Honda bikes I currently have.

I recently rented a click for 3 months and covered 3500 kms on it.....400 in one day. Excellent bike for around the town but a bit uncomfortable on mega long days out......though not uncomfortable enough to put me off renting one again. Click is super super economical as well.

Having said that I'm planning my next trip for 6 months and seriously thinking about buying an Aerox 155. Couple of guys I ride with have them and they are very happy with them.

On a personal note I think the Aerox is a better looking bike than the PCX. I always think the PCX is a bit old guy looking bike.....though I am an old guy 5555.

Also, if you're not needing to buy new, you can find some good deals in the Facebook Group "Pattaya Cars and Bikes For Sale". It should go without saying to be sure to meet the seller in person, and exchange money at the licensing counter of a bike shop to make absolutely certain you can transfer the bike "green book" before you pay for a secondhand bike, but there are always tales of woe about people doing a bank transfer and the seller vanishing. 

It may be considered racist, but I don't really care. I'd feel more confident buying secondhand from a foreigner who understood the concept of "preventive maintenance". I know with my own inlaws, they don't really get the concept, even when I offer to pay for the every 4000 km checks. My observation of Thai maintenance philosophy is that if it isn't broken, it doesn't need service. I'd rather not buy a bike maintained that way. :-) (which is also a big part of why four out of five of my bikes were bought new, and the fifth was bought from a Swedish guy getting ready to go back to Sweden.)

On 07/04/2018 at 18:49, Pattaya_Brian said:

Scooter? Get a man's motorcycle. 80,000 baht at Mityon on Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road.

bike.jpg.ab02dcc80f1142235b8b346bbec9689b.jpg

With tyres that skinny, it looks like a kids bike.

Main thing with buying a scooter is looking after it and getting it maintained regularly. I bought a Kawasaki Cheers 112cc scooter in 2001 and is still going strong. It has never let me down.

Next trip just need to get the seat re-done.

DSC02256.JPG.dfc31f08c1ebfd74f3735d26450ff816.JPG

Archived