IGNORED

Cheaper but reliable alternative to iPhone

I am sick of the intermittant failing of my three year old  iPhone 6, I think it is due to the new software variation they put on it to try and make me buy a new one.

so I am looking at a reasonable quality alternative, maybe Samsung, maybe Oppo or similar.

dont need bels and whistles, just phone, internet very rarely, sms, maybe Messenger. So basic smartphone, reliable but not top of the range.

any suggestions?

fuch Apple!

• 4 weeks later...

Can buy an iPhone 5 in Tukcom for about 5k. I like to stick with what I know. Also couple of weeks ago got one fixed which had battery life failure he changed the battery for 700 baht working fine now.

The Guy is on the upper floor at the back wall as you come off the escalator I think it’s called Wave or something we’ll wirrh asking him to have a look before buying another phone.

I have bought 3 different OPPO phones and all excellent

from the Oppo shop on 3rd floor Central Festival

they have 6gig ram and great cameras

my daughter has an iPhone 7 but uses my Oppo for taking photos

I love, absolutely love my LG v20.  Big, light, good dual camera and user changeable battery which is hard to find.  Unfortunately LG is does not have much of a following in Thailand so finding them is tough.    If I lived in LOS I would really look at the non-Samsung Androids.  I am not an Apple fan, respect them but don't want one and I refuse to purchase anything Samsung, I want there to be lot's of competition.  I used to like HTC, but they are dead in the water...

Can you get the new Google Pixel 2, has what is considered to be one of the best camera on a cell phone right now?

Joker...

I gave up on apple when an update bricked my phone... never going back.

As others have said, OPPO are good phones. Mine is coming up 3 years old and is running as well as it was out of the box.  Mrs Dave has a newer model and hers runs brilliantly as well.... OPPO are a very good value for money phone.

I bought a Huawei Nova 2i in Oz. Mid range phone with great cameras. Only had it 3 months and is fantastic. 

On 4/17/2018 at 07:02, Tarl said:

I bought a Huawei Nova 2i in Oz. Mid range phone with great cameras. Only had it 3 months and is fantastic. 

I also moved to Huawei Nova 2i from samsung when my sam was water damaged and i needed to buy a new phone about 6 months ago. I am very happy with the phone and the high spec for the price. I see Lazada are selling them at a good price.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

Can you get the new Google Pixel 2, has what is considered to be one of the best camera on a cell phone right now?
Joker...

Yep, saw it for sale in Tukcom the other day. But at 25K it's not really mid-price. Camera is impressive though.

Xiaomi Mi A1 is an android one phone (first to get updates) and is basically a design wise rip off of the iPhone. Only about 199 USD.

I'm using one and it's great.

For cheap phones

Huawei 7x

Xiaomi redmi note 5 pro (but only Asian 4G/LTE bands, so 4G won't work in US/Canada/Europe, 3G will)

Both phones are for around 220-250 USD.  Generally speaking, Huawei's have nicer (brighter) screens, Xiaomi's have the best hardware for the money.

I bought a Samsung J7 (2016) about 1.5 years ago for 250 USD.  The more apps I installed, the more it slowed down, until it was so slow it was pretty much unusable. I just bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro for 220 USD (marketed as the Redmi Note 5 in China).  I have it loaded up with apps already, and it's still very fast.  It has a Snapdragon 636 chipset, which currently is the best of the mid-range chipsets (not counting the Snapdragon 660, as that costs more).  Camera, memory, speed, sensors, features all much better.  I am never buying another low to mid range Samsung phone.

If OS and stock Android is not a condition also check Meizu.

https://www.meizu.com/th/

The offer very good experience for little money (had one myself and it is decent). The OS is some kind of Android derivate. And all the other Chinese brand as already mentioned you also get more value for the money.

Still iOS & Apple best app support if this is relevant for you.

Oppo is a great alterative, had mine for 2 years now , never any problems , dual sim also, brilliant camera front and rear, never had an I phone but lots of similarities

Huawei have several great opions, I have a P9 and P10 both great phones.

Huawei have an interface that looks similar to apple.

On 3/21/2018 at 05:34, Encora said:

I am sick of the intermittant failing of my three year old  iPhone 6, I think it is due to the new software variation they put on it to try and make me buy a new one.

so I am looking at a reasonable quality alternative, maybe Samsung, maybe Oppo or similar.

dont need bels and whistles, just phone, internet very rarely, sms, maybe Messenger. So basic smartphone, reliable but not top of the range.

any suggestions?

There's a good chance your battery is going - that could easily account for intermittent failures. 

If you've got a iPhone 6, it's likely you can get the battery replaced by Apple for around $25 (US): 

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

• 2 months later...

My good girl had an OPPO 3 years ago no problem at all and I also changed from Sumsung to Huawei mate 10 last year, so far so good. Very good photo and vedeo shooting 

Samsung Galaxy S7 can be had new for about $250 here in America. It has wireless charging, 32 GB, extra memory slot, water resistant. I have one, and just bought one for the wife.

Still running my Galaxy S5 and it works fine even though it is now four generations out of date.   I bought it in the model run-out in 2016.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Archived