Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Chiang Mai - First Time - Advice Please

puthsardarade

Hi,

I will be arriving in Chiang Mai in around two weeks for the first time, I asked similar questions to the below on different posts for other destinations.

Keen on meeting girls on an evening, occasionally during the day.

I plan to book an hotel near Loi Kroh Road as that appears to be the ideal spot from what I've read.

Any advice on the following:

1) Transfer from the airport to hotel which is really close to Loi Kroh Road?

2) Where is the best exchange shop locally for money exchange?

3) Good massages locally (no extras required - for that I would hope to pick up a girl)?

4) Best place locally to hire a motorbike and possible attractions to visit?

5) Best place to go locally to learn Muay Thai as a beginner?

5) Likely areas where I can pick up a non-bar girl and use as a tour guide for a reasonable LT fee of course?

6) Any other tips/suggestions?

I understand that's quite lot, so any responses on any of the above will be helpful and I'll also try and do my own research as well.

Thanks in advance

25 minutes ago, puthsardarade said:

Hi,

I will be arriving in Chiang Mai in around two weeks for the first time, I asked similar questions to the below on different posts for other destinations.

I plan to book an hotel near Loi Kroh Road as that appears to be the ideal spot from what I've read. 

Plenty of hotels on or around Loi Kroh Road but not all of them are guest friendly if that matters to you.

Just take a taxi from the Airport to Loi Kroh was 160 baht the last time I was there in July 2017

Lots of them around and they all will be similar exchange

The one I normally use is on Chang Moi Kao Road across from the Best Pharmacy pic below. It is a short walk from Loi Kroh just walk up Kotchasam Road past McDonalds and cross Tha Phae Rd and it will be right there on your left

The little Italian place along there is pretty good as well

3) Good massages locally (no extras required - for that I would hope to pick up a girl)? 

Lots of massage places along Loh Kroh Road.  Pick one they will all be pretty similar

Ask at the hotel.  Lots of temples within walking distance 

5) Best place to go locally to learn Muay Thai as a beginner? Not my thing so again ask at the hotel

5) Likely areas where I can pick up a non-bar girl and use as a tour guide for a reasonable LT fee of course?  ask at the hotel

I understand that's quite lot, so any responses on any of the above will be helpful and I'll also try and do my own research as well.

Thanks in advance

exchange.jpg

On 3/7/2018 at 03:06, puthsardarade said:

5) Likely areas where I can pick up a non-bar girl and use as a tour guide for a reasonable LT fee of course?

1) If you are arriving domestically, there are two taxi counters directly to your left as you exit baggage.

160 baht to get into town.

2) Super Rich Exchange on Loi Kroh Road is good, and there are a couple of other no-names that have since popped up close by.

Due them being bunched together the prices are pretty much the same.

3) massage shops are everywhere.

It can be hit and miss. As a general rule the older women give the best straight massages.

4) Once again, motorbike rental shops are everywhere in the middle of town.

Similar pricing and rules and regulations. Beware of the local police though and their hunger for issuing fines.

The main traps are in the inner city, around the moat area.

5) This one requires some research on your part.

There are many about and it all depends on how committed you are to it, and what you want to get out of it.

6) The local red trucks are a great way to get about at 20 baht a ride.

Generally the bars are at their best between 8pm and 12am, so plan some daytime activities and get out and about and enjoy the place.

On 3/7/2018 at 03:06, puthsardarade said:

Probably a tour guide shop or do some searching on the internet.

It is highly likely these women will not be interested in anything sexual.

Thai boxing near the old wall part of town. I saw a gym above a Starbucks, I believe. Just ask around when you are in that area. I went to the Muay Thai fights, no Thai people watching, only farangs. The old wall part of town is full of young farangs, not the mongering type, more like save the earthers.  I hired a red bus to go to some cool temples outside of town, along the way was a nice elephant sanctuary, also rented some bad ass buggy and hauled ass through the Jungle, that was a blast.  The city is much larger than I thought, a lot of university students, and lighter skin, than Pattaya. I didn’t see a lot of farangs/ Thai couples walking around. I would go back, but stay in a different area of town

Hi,

Thanks in advance
Hi :),
For the airport to your hotel, just use grab. I've used it there and it's not expensive at all.

About exchange, I was using An app called REVOLUT, you should definitely check. The best credit card for travel for me, so many perks and its so easy to jump from currency to currency.

The night life there is so so in my opinion because at 1-2am it's over.
You should go near the Yellow bar, a lot of people Thai and foreigner hanging out. After that, maybe try the spicy club?

You should definitely try the tiger kingdom, my best memories there tho.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, huobo said:

Hi :),
For the airport to your hotel, just use grab. I've used it there and it's not expensive at all.

About exchange, I was using An app called REVOLUT, you should definitely check. The best credit card for travel for me, so many perks and its so easy to jump from currency to currency.

The night life there is so so in my opinion because at 1-2am it's over.
You should go near the Yellow bar, a lot of people Thai and foreigner hanging out. After that, maybe try the spicy club?

You should definitely try the tiger kingdom, my best memories there tho.

Hi, Thanks.  Can you please give a quick summary as to how you have used REVOLUT in Thailand which you see it as being useful?

I have an overseas credit card with no fees which tracks mastercards rate which I planned to use and other places I would withdraw my UK pounds for Thai Baht - so would REVOULT rate be better than exchanging money and how does it work?

Thanks

Hi, Thanks.  Can you please give a quick summary as to how you have used REVOLUT in Thailand which you see it as being useful?
I have an overseas credit card with no fees which tracks mastercards rate which I planned to use and other places I would withdraw my UK pounds for Thai Baht - so would REVOULT rate be better than exchanging money and how does it work?

Thanks
The most interesting thing is the easy way to activate and deactivate options like ( contactless or nah, swipe or no etc...)
You can directly convert in the app, and withdraw at an atm with the local currency without involving your banks or the atm, less fees.

It's just the best in my opinion, if you took the premium plan, you have insurance oversees for. Like 1-2 dollars a day.
Perfect. You should check their website

5 minutes ago, huobo said:

The most interesting thing is the easy way to activate and deactivate options like ( contactless or nah, swipe or no etc...)
You can directly convert in the app, and withdraw at an atm with the local currency without involving your banks or the atm, less fees.

It's just the best in my opinion, if you took the premium plan, you have insurance oversees for. Like 1-2 dollars a day.
Perfect. You should check their website

Will look into it but being pessimistic I assume they are making their money from the rate they allow you to convert at (which may not be as good) and any plan fees - so for someone traveling for a short duration it may not be so good.  Would be good to know if you have compared their rate with an exchange shop?

Will do some research as well.

Thanks

Will look into it but being pessimistic I assume they are making their money from the rate they allow you to convert at (which may not be as good) and any plan fees - so for someone traveling for a short duration it may not be so good.  Would be good to know if you have compared their rate with an exchange shop?

Thanks
I think they're making their money with the premium plan.
The conversion rate was the real one without fees.
1 euros = 38 baht

Thanks
Regarding Revolut, I'll be diplomatic about it, its dogshit in Thailand. THB is treated as illiquid currency same as rouble, the rate is pretty bad and even worse at the weekend where they add a charge on. Of course Revolut is misleading people think they are getting the MasterCard rate but they aren't, it's hidden in the small print. I'd consider using it in other countries just not Thailand or Russia

Regarding Revolut, I'll be diplomatic about it, its dogshit in Thailand. THB is treated as illiquid currency same as rouble, the rate is pretty bad and even worse at the weekend where they add a charge on. Of course Revolut is misleading people think they are getting the MasterCard rate but they aren't, it's hidden in the small print. I'd consider using it in other countries just not Thailand or Russia
What do you mean? When I was converting, the rate was the real one within the app

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, puthsardarade said:

Thanks

I did some quick searching and due to Thai ATMS charging 200b I can't see much value in using it abroad epsecially as I already have a travel  mastercard with no fees.  So don't think its one for me.

I used to use Revolut but now there are better options, Monzo or Loot are both better fee wise, my current favorite however is Starling, they are an accredited bank now with some very good options.

I used to use Revolut but now there are better options, Monzo or Loot are both better fee wise, my current favorite however is Starling, they are an accredited bank now with some very good options.
Going to check those

What do you mean? When I was converting, the rate was the real one within the app

They showed you a rate but I'm sure it would have been better if you'd used Clarity or one of the ones mentioned above. Revolut are very sneaky you have to dig deep to find the charges and info on Thailand, many people fall for it

On 3/6/2018 at 23:06, puthsardarade said:

I plan to book an hotel near Loi Kroh Road as that appears to be the ideal spot from what I've read

It depends on what exactly you want and your profile, which is not entirely clear from your post.

If you are an older guy and speak no Thai, Loi Kroh Road might be the right choice, as it has restaurants, hotels, massage parlors, girlie bars, tourist shops, and there is even a superrich branch (for money exchange), and probably also several bike rental places.

Everything there though is substandard; not the best looking girls, not good massages, budget hotels, restaurants with “international food”, etc.

But most things in Chiang Mai are spread out, so it’s hard to make a better recommendation.

When you say meeting girls, you want to meet non-P4P girls? If so, these are nowhere near Loi Kroh Road. There are a lot more young girls living west of the old city (Suthep area), as that’s where CM University is, and during nighttime, the area is bustling with them getting a bowl of noodle soup on the street.

The Nimman area (also west of old city) has a few clubs where you can find Thais, but if you’re not young, handsome, and speak Thai, I wouldn’t bother with this, as there are plenty of young Thai males to compete with.

North of Tapae Gate is where you find the “international” bar scene. Too many backpackers for my taste.

Back to meeting Thai girls, online is probably the best option, but if you speak a little Thai, another option is to go to some of the places that specialize in good looking staff, e.g. Milk Club:

image.png.5c77fc73ae401673b0b09b301ed38ed7.png

For quick relief, I would go to one of the soapy massage places, there are several of them, many in the fishbowl style and offering full service (basically just a brothel), you can definitely google this.

If you’re looking for a real nuru massage, I can recommend Absolute Paradise Spa. This is not full service, and it’s very seedy; they work out of what seems like a budget hotel, you go to the second floor, and enter a room where the papasan sits, he then calls in all the girls who will do a lineup for you (it may take a few minutes to gather all the girls, I suspect they each have a room at the place), and you then pick the girl you want.

You go to another room, and she’ll give you a thorough shower, followed by a nuru massage with a happy ending, and then another shower.

The first time I went, the girl did allow me to finger her, and when we were finished, she actually drove me home, as I had walked to the place.

As for attractions, if you hook up with a girl, go have lunch at Huay Tung Tao (lake), it’s north of the city.

There are 3 temples worth visiting: Wat Chedi Luang, Wat Umong, and Wat Doi Suthep.

If you are reasonably fit, I would add Wat Pha Lat. Take a taxi (Uber) to Wat Pha Lat Hike (Monk's trail), it’s on Google Maps, and just follow the path up the mountain. I did it with two Thai girls and it took us 40 minutes.

If you do the trail with a Thai girl, go to the market first for her to buy food for the monks and the flower/incense package to make merit, as it’ll score you some points.

When you reach Wat Pha Lat you can continue up to Wat Doi Suthep, it’s a little harder than the first part, but I managed to get the two Thai girls I was with, to go all the way.

You can take a red car back to Chiang Mai, once you reach the temple.

3 hours ago, supergeil said:

It depends on what exactly you want and your profile, which is not entirely clear from your post.

If you are an older guy and speak no Thai, Loi Kroh Road might be the right choice, as it has restaurants, hotels, massage parlors, girlie bars, tourist shops, and there is even a superrich branch (for money exchange), and probably also several bike rental places.

Everything there though is substandard; not the best looking girls, not good massages, budget hotels, restaurants with “international food”, etc.

But most things in Chiang Mai are spread out, so it’s hard to make a better recommendation.

When you say meeting girls, you want to meet non-P4P girls? If so, these are nowhere near Loi Kroh Road. There are a lot more young girls living west of the old city (Suthep area), as that’s where CM University is, and during nighttime, the area is bustling with them getting a bowl of noodle soup on the street.

The Nimman area (also west of old city) has a few clubs where you can find Thais, but if you’re not young, handsome, and speak Thai, I wouldn’t bother with this, as there are plenty of young Thai males to compete with.

North of Tapae Gate is where you find the “international” bar scene. Too many backpackers for my taste.

Back to meeting Thai girls, online is probably the best option, but if you speak a little Thai, another option is to go to some of the places that specialize in good looking staff, e.g. Milk Club:

image.png.5c77fc73ae401673b0b09b301ed38ed7.png

For quick relief, I would go to one of the soapy massage places, there are several of them, many in the fishbowl style and offering full service (basically just a brothel), you can definitely google this.

If you’re looking for a real Nuru massage, I can recommend Absolute Paradise Spa. This is not full service, and it’s very seedy; they work out of what seems like a budget hotel, you go to the second floor, and enter a room where the papasan sits, he then calls in all the girls who will do a lineup for you (it may take a few minutes to gather all the girls, I suspect they each have a room at the place), and you then pick the girl you want.

You go to another room, and she’ll give you a thorough shower, followed by a Nuru massage with a happy ending, and then another shower.

The first time I went, the girl did allow me to finger her, and when we were finished, she actually drove me home, as I had walked to the place.

As for attractions, if you hook up with a girl, go have lunch at Huay Tung Tao (lake), it’s north of the city.

There are 3 temples worth visiting: Wat Chedi Luang, Wat Umong, and Wat Doi Suthep.

If you are reasonably fit, I would add Wat Pha Lat. Take a taxi (Uber) to Wat Pha Lat Hike (Monk's trail), it’s on Google Maps, and just follow the path up the mountain. I did it with two Thai girls and it took us 40 minutes.

If you do the trail with a Thai girl, go to the market first for her to buy food for the monks and the flower/incense package to make merit, as it’ll score you some points.

When you reach Wat Pha Lat you can continue up to Wat Doi Suthep, it’s a little harder than the first part, but I managed to get the two Thai girls I was with, to go all the way.

You can take a red car back to Chiang Mai, once you reach the temple.

Ok - I'm in my 30's, speak no Thai but I would say I'm confident, polite and presentable, british Indian.

Keen on meeting girls that are less business minded in their approach so the ones which are less - lets do the business so I can get paid and go and more of the type that is maybe semi pro - needs the money but also provides good company and happy to go to sights etc as will have their expenses all covered and still provide the business service :)

Would it be worthwhile me hiring a motorbike (I have one in UK) and riding to old city (Suthep area), as that’s where CM University is and trying to interact with the girls there?

Not so keen on the massage options - would prefer to pick up a FL from a disco.

Lots of hotties in that Milk Club photo but are any of them allowed to / keen on meeting outside work?

Any other attractions/activities other than temples and elephants?  :)

Thanks

2 hours ago, puthsardarade said:

Any other attractions/activities other than temples and elephants?  :)

I just looked at your posting history and see your itinerary: “14 March - Pattaya, 17 March - Hua Hin, 20 March - Bangkok, 22 March - Ko Samui, 26 March - Chiang Mai, 29 March …”.

This put things in a rather different perspective, as you barely have 3 days to do all the things you want to do.

Other than temples, a lot of the stuff are 30+ kilometers from central Chiang Mai, so seeing these things would be a full day, though many tours are multi-day tours.

For girls, Chiang Mai is not a mongering destination, so while you can find cute girls there, with no Thai and only 2-3 days, your odds are not good.

What I would recommend is that you find a girl in Bangkok or Pattaya, this will be *a lot* easier for you, you then ask her if she wants to meet you in Chiang Mai later on your trip; a lot of the girls have never been but only heard good things about Chiang Mai (“the rose of the North”) and would love to go.

For attractions, the stuff to see in Chiang Mai is mountains, Jungle, waterfalls, hilltribes, etc.

If you fancy that, go to a travel agent when you arrive in Chiang Mai and plan a tour. If you have a girl come along, you can do a multi-day tour.

Going to Chiang Mai solo for the first time with no English and only 3 days: I would not waste my time trying to pick up girls (unless you’re talking about those who work in Loi Kroh Road)!

7 minutes ago, supergeil said:

Going to Chiang Mai solo for the first time with no English and only 3 days: I would not waste my time trying to pick up girls (unless you’re talking about those who work in Loi Kroh Road)!

So what are the options with picking up a girl that works on Loi Kroh Road?

Average costs?

Pick up areas etc?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 15:07, Young Coxy said:

1) If you are arriving domestically, there are two taxi counters directly to your left as you exit baggage.

160 baht to get into town.

2) Super Rich Exchange on Loi Kroh Road is good, and there are a couple of other no-names that have since popped up close by.

Due them being bunched together the prices are pretty much the same.

3) Massage shops are everywhere.

It can be hit and miss. As a general rule the older women give the best straight massages.

4) Once again, motorbike rental shops are everywhere in the middle of town.

Similar pricing and rules and regulations. Beware of the local police though and their hunger for issuing fines.

The main traps are in the inner city, around the moat area.

5) This one requires some research on your part.

There are many about and it all depends on how committed you are to it, and what you want to get out of it.

6) The local red trucks are a great way to get about at 20 baht a ride.

Generally the bars are at their best between 8pm and 12am, so plan some daytime activities and get out and about and enjoy the place.

be careful when hiring a bike in Chang Mai as they want to hold your passport till you bring the bike back . they then send some blokes out to knock off said bike with spare key and try to charge you for a new bike , as they have your passport there is little you can do . i wanted to hire a bike from the foya of hotel i was staying at and wouldn't accept my thai drivers licence even though it has my passport number on it ! heard there are 3-4 bigger motor bike hire places doing this so be warned . i ended up just getting a tuk-tuk 100 baht each way .... safer and still got my money in pocket . lady was quiet rude when i refused to leave my passport . hope this helps

2 hours ago, onehunglo said:

be careful when hiring a bike in Chang Mai as they want to hold your passport till you bring the bike back . they then send some blokes out to knock off said bike with spare key and try to charge you for a new bike […] ! heard there are 3-4 bigger motor bike hire places doing this so be warned

I’ve rented plenty of bikes in CM and so have people I know there, never heard of this supposed scam.

Honestly, it sounds rather ridiculous.

On 3/25/2018 at 14:29, onehunglo said:

be careful when hiring a bike in Chang Mai as they want to hold your passport till you bring the bike back . they then send some blokes out to knock off said bike with spare key and try to charge you for a new bike , as they have your passport there is little you can do . i wanted to hire a bike from the foya of hotel i was staying at and wouldn't accept my thai drivers licence even though it has my passport number on it ! heard there are 3-4 bigger motor bike hire places doing this so be warned . i ended up just getting a tuk-tuk 100 baht each way .... safer and still got my money in pocket . lady was quiet rude when i refused to leave my passport . hope this helps

If they try that on just tell them they can have a photocopy or nothing at all.

There will be another bike shop just down the road that will be happy with that arrangement and will take your business.

No shortage of Gyms in that area.  There is a gym at the night bazaar within a few minute walk that caters to tourist just looking for some introductory lessons.  I think it was actually the home gym of the very famous ladyboy fighter Nong Toom  but I'm not 100 percent positive 

Archived