Sign in to follow this  
Encora

Buying a secondhand car from BKK, while resident in Chonburi.

Encora

I  maybe buying a new car, 2016 or so in Bangkok soon, and would like a few hints at the procedures I need to follow.
How do I ensure no money is owing on the car?
What to look for to deal with the risk that the car has been drowned at some stage?
What to look for to ensure the papers aren't faked?
What to look for to find out if it has been in a major accident?

If happy and going ahead, What are the steps I need to follow to change the plates from BKK plates to Chonburi plates. Or, do I have to?

This may sound a bit naive, I have bought and sold many secondhand cars over my lifetime, but this is a different country and language, and I thought the collective knowledge of this board may be able to save myself a few problems.

Thank you!

petermik

I would try and avoid buying in BKK unless its a private deal.....many horror stories......if you do buy an out of Chonburi province car you will have to get the plates changed UNLESS its being registered in a Thai name    :ThumbUp6:

Velcro

I can be done ... for you easily.. as you will probably be using an agent to do the transfer 

They will need to do the paperwork/transfer at Chon Buri Transport Office - Not Pattaya .. and probably have to go twice ... so they will charge more money 

You need to be confident you have all the papers and ID copies you need ..otherwise you will have to back to Bangkok to get them