IGNORED

Cathay Pacific

PR1977

Anyone flown with them in Economy lately and care to provide a review  / comment on service etc?

Just booked up for Xmas 2018 on new route DUB-HKG-BKK on A350 and A330.

Yes used cx in October from LAX good flight no problems. Next year there 777 are going to 10 abreast in economy makes it little tight but will see . Your on the A350 so you’ll have no problem I had a flight from Hong-Kong to Bkk on the a 350 it was good . Have a good trip .[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If flew CX economy from Vancouver to BKK - great flight, great legroom, great service. Clean planes and good entertainment system.

I flew Cathay Pacific one trip. I was a great experience.  

I would use them more often, but their departure times coming and going do not work for me.

I personally don't like the seats that recline by sliding you forward. Room space is fine just found them uncomfortable. Not sure if they replaced them since I last flew but it 100% no go for a long flight.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I personally don't like the seats that recline by sliding you forward. Room space is fine just found them uncomfortable. Not sure if they replaced them since I last flew but it 100% no go for a long flight.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I think that was only for a limited number of short haul planes and since been discontinued because of all the complaints.

The airline is great, but still waiting for their new long haul planes. Heck, even their lesser competitors have wifi on board now!

My experience with them as been great.  I love flying with them but it seems they are not as competitively priced as they use to be. I'm finding better deals on United, American, JAL, and ANA.  I avoid United and American as much as possible because I prefer all Asian stewardesses.

Cathay Pacific has a history of overselling flights and that is a benefit to you, if you want an upgrade.  

My experience flying with them started with being approached by a young agent of theirs, while in line to check in at the airport in YYZ.  She asked where I was flying to and how many were in my party.  I told her I was alone and flying to BKK. She asked if I wanted to sell my seat for a possible upgrade the next day and $250.  I said OK since the upgrade sounded excellent to me.  She took me to the Cathay counter and told them I was willing to sell my seat.  They gave me a voucher for a drink at the any airport bar/restaurant while they continued to check people in, to see if my seat was needed.  Near departure time, they told me to come back the next day, gave me a voucher for an upgrade and the $250. I went home and emailed my guesthouse and Mr. T. Taxi and told them I was bumped off the flight and said I was flying the following day.

Flew business class the next day and it was great!  

I am One World Sapphire for life. Prior to my retirement in 2016 I was a 100K traveler for over 10 years. I have flown frequently with CX and in general like their service. Back in the day I would frequently get upgraded. Often I purchased Business tickets, as they could be written off as a business expense. 

IMO - their current coach services are no great shakes. The seats are not that comfortable and leg room is not that great. If I buy a coach ticket from them, I can usually get around this because of my status. I can get a preferred seat with no one in front of me and extra leg room.

Basically, I think they have gone down hill some. About 10 years ago I had a First Class Awards ticket LAX-HKG. Now that was nice. I didn't want to get off the plane.

I normally fly economy to europe and then to BKK ex-EU on QR in business. The flight to Europe is normally a couple of hundred bucks on staff travel and then I a biz ticket to BKK for about $1500. This way saves me a lot of money compared to biz fares out of the USA but it is slow.

I just booked a Cathay economy ORD-HKG-BKK return for thanksgiving. I flew this last year but I was in first on a points redemption ticket.

I really wanted to try Eva, Asiana or Korean but I have BA Gold/One World Emerald which on Cathay gets me extra bags, first class lounge access, emergency exits seats on every sector (saving $400) and hopefully puts me somewhere up high on the upgrade list. I am in 59C in 807 and 806. 

I have flown them in the past and found to be cramped.  I normally try to buy Premium Economy which is MUCH better but runs about double + the price of economy.  I have been buying the Premier then using miles to upgrade to Business class.  It generally is not that hard to upgrade in my experience.   Their biz class seats are great.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried them quiet a few times, their food is very good, compare to lots of other airline. total experience with them is among the best

• 10 months later...

So completed my flights in economy Xmas and NY 2018/2019.

In summary:

Check in and boarding very quick and efficient, staff very polite and attentive

A350s on the legs from Europe to and from Hong Kong very spacious in 3-3-3 with comfortable seats at a generous pitch

Food very good, bar unlimited for beers 

Entertainment system has plenty of stuff, new and old ( I watched The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Goodfellas, The Shawshank Redemption and Unforgiven on the way out, making the 11h 19mins fly)

HKG to BKK used older 777 and A330, so not quite as comfortable but food definitely above average in economy on both legs

HKG airport nice and easy to transit through, all gates under one roof in a sort of Y shaped terminal

I think as far as airlines I've flown with, only Qatar in economy are better

Would definitely fly them again at the right price.

• 4 weeks later...

I booked Cathay in PE EWR-HKG-BKK-HKG-LAX for March. A350 on all legs except HKG-LAX which is 777. Does anyone know if Cathay give premium lane immigration passes to PE passengers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2019 at 19:30, javasumatra said:

I booked Cathay in PE EWR-HKG-BKK-HKG-LAX for March. A350 on all legs except HKG-LAX which is 777. Does anyone know if Cathay give premium lane immigration passes to PE passengers.

Pretty sure they won't as sometimes the premium lane IO staff demand to see J/F b/p now.

2 hours ago, Shaksey said:

Pretty sure they won't as sometimes the premium lane IO staff demand to see J/F b/p now.

Uh-oh. I am flying in 4 weeks in PE in Cathay and I saved a prem lane pass from my last biz flight.

• 1 month later...

The Flight Attendants and in flight entertainment are Great. The food in Y is Very Average - Air Asia's Nasi Lemak is Tastier by Far than the beef, chicken or fish offered by CX.

However their Biggest letdown is the Ground Staff - the call centre staff will talk rude and arrogant & not care if you complain, where as Singapore Airlines call centre staff will do all they can do avoid negative feedback to their supervisors. 

And as far as CX's Senior HKG ground manager Timmie To is concerned, that Mofo & all his family can rot in Hell for Eternity to put things politely. 

On 11/01/2018 at 22:22, LASportsNut said:

I flew Cathay Pacific one trip. I was a great experience.  

I would use them more often, but their departure times coming and going do not work for me.

Really?  I find their schedule PERFECT!

I do the late night departure from LAX - I think they have 2 LAX-HKG flights that leave around midnight (IIRC).  It gets me into HKG early in the a.m. (2 days later), and I generally kill a couple of hours in HKG airport before heading to BKK and landing around noon.  I am flying business (or first) class on miles, so I get Cathay lounge access, and I can use my AMEX Platinum card to access the Centurion lounge there, if necessary.

For the return, I do the the BKK departure at 5:40 p.m., kill a few hours again at HKG, then hop the 12:15 a.m. departure from HKG that gets into LAX at 8:40 p.m. (the same night/day as I depart BKK).  I LOVE the late afternoon departure, which allows me to sleep in/relax before starting my depressing trip home. 

They have a later flight from BKK (7:20 p.m. departure), but I am nervous about layover of less than 2 hours on International flights, especially when it is the last one out at night.

I haven’t flown on CX in a couple of years. Actually I mean paid for. I flew with them on points a couple of months ago. They have not been competitve in pricing for a couple of years now... and they really need to upgrade their long haul planes out of JFK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have taken CX many times but I going to change this year I can’t do the 10 abreast seating I have seen bad reviews on the seats [emoji107]

Going with them for the first time in September going to Japan via HK, upgraded to premium economy and it looks good, flight times are good too and it could be a quicker trip to Bangkok rather than the middle east routes.

On 26/03/2019 at 20:54, Luv2Phuket said:

Really?  I find their schedule PERFECT!

I do the late night departure from LAX - I think they have 2 LAX-HKG flights that leave around midnight (IIRC).  It gets me into HKG early in the a.m. (2 days later), and I generally kill a couple of hours in HKG airport before heading to BKK and landing around noon.  I am flying business (or first) class on miles, so I get Cathay lounge access, and I can use my AMEX Platinum card to access the Centurion lounge there, if necessary.

For the return, I do the the BKK departure at 5:40 p.m., kill a few hours again at HKG, then hop the 12:15 a.m. departure from HKG that gets into LAX at 8:40 p.m. (the same night/day as I depart BKK).  I LOVE the late afternoon departure, which allows me to sleep in/relax before starting my depressing trip home. 

They have a later flight from BKK (7:20 p.m. departure), but I am nervous about layover of less than 2 hours on International flights, especially when it is the last one out at night.

I guess you are right. 

I meant to say, the departure times, flight times, and cost collectively does not work for me. 

I seem to end up on China Southern or EVA as those two seem to hit the combination of all three for me.

Archived