Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Airport Scams

cartoonman

I've only taxied to Pattaya once alone because i usually go with a mate or 2.Next week only 2 of us going but I'll still get 1 or 2 more for the journey by the time we

get our bags.Just speak up and join at the fare and its not worth busing it if you can fill a car.

This isn't a scam, taxi's the world over are known for taking advantage. I was in Amsterdam and I needed to get to the airport, but due to snow the trains were stopped. So outside Central Station I approached a group of taxi drivers, they were all Turks. And I was quoted €100 to the airport, I said no way and they got quite aggressive saying that I had no other way of getting to the airport. I told them to piss off and walked away only for one of them to follow me up the road and he said he would take me for €20, wankers.

You are right about that. I had some idoit in Toronto try to charge me more because there was fog out and it was bad driving conditions.

I asked for his taxi driver number and was going to report him, he changed his story fast.

I wouldnt go so far as to call it a "scam". Inflation, high season, they wanna make more money. Pre book a taxi to ensure your paying a price your happy with.

I don't buy out the bar, I buy the nightspot.

Maximizing profits is one thing, taking advantage of an unsuspecting tourist is another... Much like the fucktard taxis that were charging tourist 2000 baht to go from Utapao to Pattaya during the airport closures and 4000 - 5000 to go to Bangkok...

I asked for airport pickup from PBR for 5 of us, they are telling me 2500baht. Reading this post now, that seems like it's high? We're newbies coming to town, let me know if we're paying too much. 5 passengers bkk to PBR.

If it's high, I'll cancel the thing and find our own way there.

thatz a rip off mate....at times we got to b firm wif our prices....and laugh at their prices....

if they knw we cant be fooled they will come down to our price....Mayb we shld b nice give a 100bht more to make him happy..

:Bump:

ARYAN69

MAA HAO DTONG GAT

seems kinda cheap

in new york, a 15 block (9-10 miles) cab ride came to be a whopping $250 ???!!!!!!!! :Bump:

needless to say it was paid in full :)

Travel, Alcohol, Girls, Gym

w1370i.jpg

most pattaya hotels have an airport pick up sevrice charging 1500 bath to pick you up at he airport an drop you off in the hotel, they even carry your bag out the airport and in to the hotel so after a long flight you dant have to do shit !!

On my first trip i took one of those taxi drivers at airport and paid 2400 bath but it was my first time there now i make sure i got a pick up

I dont like the hotels pickup coz you have to walk all the way to the parking with them...

Best is to use the taxi stand and ask the driver for the price BEFORE you get in the car (one time I ask'ed for price after we got in the car, got into discussions about the price and ended up trow'ed out 500 meters from the airport!!)

The AOT 'limo' desk asked me for B 3,000 yesterday!

I walked round the back of the counter and called the bloke over and gave him B 2,000 cash - no receipt required - 5 minutes later we were on our way

Theres a lady just down soy 7 on the right from second road , She gets you a taxi fairly cheap and they will pick you up from Airport or hotel, I have used her many Times . She took me to Bangkok, Samut sakon 800 baht and the car was filled, the boot as well ..

• 2 weeks later...

tried the same with me when I arrived early December, they were all stating the same price. Kept walking away and eventually got offered 1000 with tolls. That was the first night the airport opened after the heist so i guess they all thought they needed the extra but just stick to your guns and you will get the lower prices

Does anyone have any good contacts for mini-buses, taxis etc?

I have a few taxi cards at home, they are from pattaya and are cheap enough, will check tonight and let you know tomorrow.

In answer to the taxi scam.

On my first time to Thailand I researched into the do's and donts, first I was informed to go to a registered taxi firm to get to where I am going, in the airport its upstairs and the taxis are green and yellow in design, secondly it recommended to either get the taxi driver to put on the meter or haggle a price, most dont want the meter so your best chance of a cheaper fare is haggling, and I dont mean a mental haggling match though, which I have never had in Thailand.

I found if you stick to you guns most of the time the drivers will give in, be polite and also be ready to walk away.

Also remember its 150kms approx to pattaya and its about £20-30 in uk money which is very cheap.The driver will also ask you when you return etc and you could even get your return trip cheaper.Remember these people are trying to make a living so things can be negotiated.

From experience I normally call either the hotel I am staying at and ask them for a price, you can negotiate a price, the normal fare from Pattaya to the airport is 800 baht with the touristy offices that exist on most Soi's.The hotel knows this price, they will ask the same touristy office to send a driver for you, so if you say I will pay 1000 I am sure they will agree, Its worked for me on all occasions.on the way to pattaya I negotiate a return price with the same driver who on most occasions are freelancing.

If by chance I have a BG I am meeting I get her to take a taxi and meet me at the airport, she will let me know the price even before I leave and again while heading down to pattaya a quick chat with the driver is all you need.

For me negotiating a price is part of the fun of Thailand, I always give the driver a 200 baht tip or more, especially if he is funny or makes the effort to communicate.

Hope this helps

There are other options.....I use Mr. Arkom's (Tom) Taxi Service. Tel: 081-7266395 or 089-1210517. Drivers know Pattaya well so, no crap about not knowing where your hotel is. Although, they could use newer cars.

this is the silliest thread ive ever read on here.

Im with you 17, delete this thread now, nobody would pay that much. bollocks

Does anyone have any good contacts for mini-buses, taxis etc?

200 baht via Bell bus service, its pinned in the transport section courtesy of sponge bob.

Get the bell bus from door 7

150 baht just as quick as a taxi

And they take you to your hotel

IF THE LAST TRAIN TO HEAVEN STOPS AT PATTAYA GET OFF