IGNORED

11-abreast in Economy on the way

davidge

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/airbus-boeing-dubai-air-show-787-a350-a380-new-orders-11-abreast-seating-a8050941.html?amp

“Thanks to an innovative seating concept developed by Airbus and its seating partners, Airbus is able to maintain an 18-inch seat width while offering airlines an 11-abreast economy class on the main deck in a ‘3-5-3’ configuration.” No current plane has more than 10 seats in each row.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

"Thanks" might not be the word i would use....

Soon they just drug you on departure and stack up people.

Airbus announced this for the A380plus earlier this year but Emirates have already publicly stated that they are not interested in 11-abreast, either for new airframes or retro-fit.

With Emirates the only people even remotely interested in the A380plus at the moment(and only then for increased fuel efficiency) the ability to achieve this does not mean that anyone will actually want to or will do.

Also, as a quick aside, this isn't a new thing.  Airbus originally announced their idea to do this back in early 2014, and have been in negotiations to offer this to anyone with A380's on order(for production 2017 onwards) since then.  The amount of takers since then, including lessors as well as airlines.  Absolutely none!!!

The only dead space left to steal is aisles and armrest and pity the poor bastard that finds himself sandwiched between two passenger of (super) size in the middle seat of the 5 seat row.

Just now, Kandinski said:

The only dead space left to steal is aisles and armrest and pity the poor bastard that finds himself sandwiched between two passenger of (super) size in the middle seat of the 5 seat row.

The window seat is horrendous too.  It would leave you walking with a permanent lean-on.  The only way I could ever see it working is on sub-2 hour high capacity routes such as the high volume movements in Japan and the Middle East between specific city pairs.  The problem then is if there are any seasonal load changes would there be enough capacity to justify multiple airframes and their maintenance schedules, while keeping the routes operationally viable.  Abu Dhabi/Dubai/Doha-Medina/Mecca and Tokyo-Kyoto may do but I don't see many other routes in the world doing so.

A couple of images to show you what I mean about the window seat:

a380 11-abreast 1.jpg

Airbus-A380-11.jpg

Reading information like this only makes me feel more sorry for those who must travel on the tightest budget and use the cheapest fares.

Take advantage of sites like www.seatguru.com  and be sure to compare your proposed flight itinerary and aircraft with current seat maps.

I don't care if it was a  69Baht  fare, I would never go on a plane for 12-14 hours with seating like this. 

Pay more and be comfortable. 

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

41 minutes ago, Drewbrogan said:

The window seat is horrendous too.  It would leave you walking with a permanent lean-on.  The only way I could ever see it working is on sub-2 hour high capacity routes such as the high volume movements in Japan and the Middle East between specific city pairs.  The problem then is if there are any seasonal load changes would there be enough capacity to justify multiple airframes and their maintenance schedules, while keeping the routes operationally viable.  Abu Dhabi/Dubai/Doha-Medina/Mecca and Tokyo-Kyoto may do but I don't see many other routes in the world doing so.

A couple of images to show you what I mean about the window seat:

a380 11-abreast 1.jpg

Appears as the " innovative seating concept" doesnt include tray tables but an instruction how to hold the one cup your are served in cattle will be given by the crew

Its fine as long as not sitting next to an overflowing smelly chatterbox. 666!

They should charge fares by customer weight. 555!  Seriously, why would this not be fair?  If your  luggage is too heavy why should everyone else pay your way?

26 minutes ago, bbbz said:

Its fine as long as not sitting next to an overflowing smelly chatterbox. 666!

They should charge fares by customer weight. 555!  Seriously, why would this not be fair?  If your  luggage is too heavy why should everyone else pay your way?

Obviously the point of view of a short skinny person.   A person can not help it if they were born tall . I agree as far as some morbidly obese types, but often big people are big due to health reasons, not just Mc Donalds and ice cream. 

3 minutes ago, baddog666 said:

Obviously the point of view of a short skinny person.   A person can not help it if they were born tall . I agree as far as some morbidly obese types, but often big people are big due to health reasons, not just Mc Donalds and ice cream. 

5'11 is not short but average.  I am overweight but not unwilling to pay my share.  And will not make excuses for my choice of overindulgence and lack of exercise.  

If you are 8' tall, yes you must pay extra for your clothes.  Unfortunately.  Maybe a tall person can use the height advantage to play pro basketball and afford the upgrades.  55!

2 hours ago, baddog666 said:

Reading information like this only makes me feel more sorry for those who must travel on the tightest budget and use the cheapest fares.

Take advantage of sites like www.seatguru.com  and be sure to compare your proposed flight itinerary and aircraft with current seat maps.

I don't care if it was a  69Baht  fare, I would never go on a plane for 12-14 hours with seating like this. 

Calm down. It doesn't even exist.

what i feel sorry for, is people who don't get to go on holiday, not the seat someone is sitting on! 

For me, a seat width will never be a huge issue, as long as it reclines.

18 hours ago, baddog666 said:

69 baht you say,i think i could be persuaded!:rolleyes:

18 hours ago, PR1977 said:

What next - standing section?

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/06/27/airline-wants-to-make-passengers-stand-during-flights-for-cheaper-tickets/amp/

It appears based on this article that stand room only has been in discussions since 2003. I think they will eventually be able to make it work, on short trips through high frequency routes, but never on an inter-continental flight. That I would do for 69 Baht. 

Unfortunately , if an airline did decide to use this type of configuration , it would not be for a short haul flight. 

Personally , my holiday begins with and includes the flight. To suffer from cramped seating is no way to start a trip.( even for 69 B )

I have used LCC before ( low cost carriers ) and they are not created equal either.

Look at Air Asia ... excellent fares, add on  a seat , baggage, a meal if you want it.  Compare to Bangkok Airways , generous baggage allowance, assigned seat and even use of their lounge at BKK before the flight. Comparable fares. 

I think people are taking way too much notice of something which isn't even news.  In the 3 years this has been available it has had not one single order, not one.  It is also only available on the A380 and A380plus airframes.  Apart from 2 that Emirates added to their original order, and the 2 that ANA firmed up this year from an order in 2013 there hasn't been a single order of one of these since June 2013.  The only order that looks like it may be on the horizon comes from Emirates and they have publicly stated that they are not interested in 11-abreast and would not consider using it.

Another example of the press saying what they want people to hear instead of a full and frank balanced viewpoint.

uppps misread as 1-1-1 config

I remember 3-5-3 from my first trip to thailand as a kid around 1990 do i remember wrong or has it been used before?

/Mike

1 hour ago, cyfruil said:

I remember 3-5-3 from my first trip to thailand as a kid around 1990 do i remember wrong or has it been used before?

There did used to be 2-5-2 on some planes. Maybe you’re thinking of that?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I recently flew from LAX to BKK via ANA, stopping in NRT. Both planes were 777s, one a -200, the other a -300. The first was 9 across, the second leg as 10 across. I was amazed they could fit an extra seat since the first leg was so cramped. I am sure the second 777 wasn't wider.

On 2017-11-14 at 10:02, davidge said:

There did used to be 2-5-2 on some planes. Maybe you’re thinking of that?

It might have been that. It was along time ago

/Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I can't see how they could fit the 3-5-3 into the A380, the interior width is 259", the seats are 18" between armrests, so that's 198" gone, leaving just 61" for 2 aisles and about 14 armrests.

Archived