IGNORED

Baku Golf Pro

penboy

There is a new practice and coaching facility on Soi Baku just off Soi Boukhaow. I'll give a quick run down on my findings:

Location: Soi Baku is off Soi Boukhaow. It is a small soi that runs parallel to Soi 15 (soi behind Areca Lodge). It is close to Nature View hotel and 18 Coins if that is any help.

Equipment: Best stuff I've seen for analysis and coaching help. I've used similar equipment before, but this one has dots on the club face to help analyse the club as well as the ball flight.

Staff: The Pro is Paul from Australia and he is very knowledgeable and understands the needs of the average golfer. He can probably help excellent golfers as well, but unfortunately I cannot speak from that experience. There are also 2 Thais on the firm who are very helpful with recording and playing back shots if you are there just practising.

What is useful is that Paul will assess your swing etc. in around 10 shots and then he will explain what is wrong or what can be improved. He will then suggest the number of lessons required to fix things. Lessons can be either 1 hour or 30 mins, it's all very flexible in my experience.

If you feel like there is something wrong with your swing, or you just want a general tidy up, I strongly recommend the services of Paul.

15 minutes ago, penboy said:

There is a new practice and coaching facility on Soi Baku just off Soi Boukhaow. I'll give a quick run down on my findings:

Location: Soi Baku is off Soi Boukhaow. It is a small soi that runs parallel to Soi 15 (soi behind Areca Lodge). It is close to Nature View hotel and 18 Coins if that is any help.

Equipment: Best stuff I've seen for analysis and coaching help. I've used similar equipment before, but this one has dots on the club face to help analyse the club as well as the ball flight.

Staff: The Pro is Paul from Australia and he is very knowledgeable and understands the needs of the average golfer. He can probably help excellent golfers as well, but unfortunately I cannot speak from that experience. There are also 2 Thais on the firm who are very helpful with recording and playing back shots if you are there just practising.

What is useful is that Paul will assess your swing etc. in around 10 shots and then he will explain what is wrong or what can be improved. He will then suggest the number of lessons required to fix things. Lessons can be either 1 hour or 30 mins, it's all very flexible in my experience.

If you feel like there is something wrong with your swing, or you just want a general tidy up, I strongly recommend the services of Paul.

I know Paul very well.

Have played a ton of golf with him and he’s a really good player and an excellent pro.(although,mostly because of me,our pairings together are less than stellar.)

Would highly recommend anyone that is serious about their game to go and give him a hey ohhhhhh.

Havnt seen the new digs yet,but will be there as soon as I touch down.

17 hours ago, penboy said:

Lessons can be either 1 hour or 30 mins, it's all very flexible in my experience.

Any indication of costs for either individual lessons or a package?

I’m around start of next year for 21 nights I’m gonna pop in and do 3 lessons a week. Normally play twice or three times a week when I’m in town as well. 

I hope he can work with what I have and not someone who wants to rebuild my whole swing. I had a pro who wanted to do that. I had to tell him I play once a week and am 34 years old. I’m not going pro just point out a flaw or two so I can make some gains

. I play of 8 so I’m not so bad that I need a brand new swing. Think he was saying this to try and get me to sign up to a large amount of lessons.

i will pop in and see Paul when I arrive.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, Joethescot said:

I’m around start of next year for 21 nights I’m gonna pop in and do 3 lessons a week. Normally play twice or three times a week when I’m in town as well. 

I hope he can work with what I have and not someone who wants to rebuild my whole swing. I had a pro who wanted to do that. I had to tell him I play once a week and am 34 years old. I’m not going pro just point out a flaw or two so I can make some gains

. I play of 8 so I’m not so bad that I need a brand new swing. Think he was saying this to try and get me to sign up to a large amount of lessons.

i will pop in and see Paul when I arrive.

I find him very honest and open. He will assess you and then you can have a conversation as to where you go from there. He has sorted out my horrible fade/slice in a week. Pro back home tidied me up a bit, but did not change the fundamental problem, he said I would have to hit 3-4000 shots and even then might not correct the fade. The initial assessment costs nothing.

3 hours ago, Kanga said:

He did me 3hrs for 5,000 baht. I also took out a months membership for 3,000 baht. I book my times with the girls and generally have done 2 hours a day for the past week. There are 2 booths there, but I've always stuck to the same one.

21 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

I know Paul very well.

Have played a ton of golf with him and he’s a really good player and an excellent pro.(although,mostly because of me,our pairings together are less than stellar.)

Would highly recommend anyone that is serious about their game to go and give him a hey ohhhhhh.

Havnt seen the new digs yet,but will be there as soon as I touch down.

SW, Paul blushed when he read what you wrote regarding him being a ''really good player'' :)

3 hours ago, Kanga said:

I think it is 2,000 baht for 1 hour. I think there is a facebook page if you have access to that.

1 hour ago, penboy said:

SW, Paul blushed when he read what you wrote regarding him being a ''really good player'' :)

Too bad I bring him down to my level when he plays with me.:D

• 2 weeks later...

this all very interesting and useful info.

does anybody know the name of this establishment?

must admit my initial feeling is that, lesson-wise it's a bit on the expensive side.

5000 baht for 3 hours?

I hope that is over 6 or so lessons because it works out to be about A$70 per hour.

I can get a  30 - 40-minute lesson in Aussie for about A$60.

As I've noticed in other areas - everything about golf in Thailand seems "out of line" really expensive.

It's called Baku golf and it is on Soi Baku.

Have you made  typo or am I missing your point regarding prices? You pay $60 for 30 mins in Australia, but think that $70 per hour is expensive? Surely 30 mins in Baku works out at $35?? It's more expensive than having a lesson at the range, but that is comparing apples to oranges.

Paul is a PGA pro from Oz and he uses  excellent equipment for analysis and teaching methods in an air-conditioned environment.

If you do decide to take a package of lessons, I highly recommend getting a membership of some sort there in order to practice what you are taught. It's taken me more than 2 weeks to get rid of my fade/slice and I have practiced nearly every day. I had a 1 hour initial lesson and then a series of 30 mins lessons, where Paul had to show me where I was going wrong (again) and put me right.

It's cost me 8,000 baht for 3 hrs lessons and as much practice as I want in order to get me hitting the ball much better. 7 iron now gets me another 20 yards and much more on target. IMO that is good value for money.

12 hours ago, penboy said:

It's called Baku golf and it is on Soi Baku.

Have you made  typo or am I missing your point regarding prices? You pay $60 for 30 mins in Australia, but think that $70 per hour is expensive? Surely 30 mins in Baku works out at $35?? It's more expensive than having a lesson at the range, but that is comparing apples to oranges.

yes you're probably right - it was an unfair comparison on my part.

this is a great inclusion to Pattaya and i really hope he prospers.

it's something that i have been looking for a long time and will be a participant on my next trip.

The location is a big plus for me. 5 mins walk or even baht bus if raining, better than 2 trips on the back of a motorbike going to driving range.

• 1 year later...

Archived