IGNORED

Be careful when booking Emirates or through Expedia.

Digsy

Article on Passport validity I have always been advised to renew 6 months ahead of expiry of my Passport, UK allows you to renew 9 months early so your new passport is valid 10 years 9 months.
https://lifehacker.com/these-countries-follow-the-six-month-rule-for-passpor-1782577451
Due to the numerous stamps here with border runs etc i opted for extra pages in my new passport. My last passport got full pretty quick

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Klongwater said:

Would be curious to know if anyone has ever been refused entry for having less than six months validity on their passport?

more likely a problem at boarding check in if your airline spots it. should you be later refused entry they have to fly you out ASAP

15 hours ago, footix said:

Sorry to get off topic but I seem to have acquired too much stuff (i'm on a 3 month SE Asia jaunt) and would like to ship some stuff I won't need back to the UK. Any idea how I arrange it and likely cost? Post Office, DHL? Any advice appreciated. Cheers

Where to?. What does it weigh approx ? Is it bulky or compact. ie golf clubs or books ?

3 hours ago, striderman said:

more likely a problem at boarding check in if your airline spots it. should you be later refused entry they have to fly you out ASAP

If memory serves I've read reports of people being refused boarding unless they have adequate time on their passports. 

As to why 6 months vs other periods, it's not always 6 months depending on the country. Below link has info. 

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/six-month-passport-validity-rule/

4 hours ago, striderman said:

and pay the £2000 fine original poster wont get past check in, that data comes up in front of them

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
12 hours ago, mbamber said:
Article on Passport validity I have always been advised to renew 6 months ahead of expiry of my Passport, UK allows you to renew 9 months early so your new passport is valid 10 years 9 months.
https://lifehacker.com/these-countries-follow-the-six-month-rule-for-passpor-1782577451

Due to the numerous stamps here with border runs etc i opted for extra pages in my new passport. My last passport got full pretty quick

Always worth paying a bit extra for the 48 page passport just in case.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Great info here guys . I am planning a family trip to LOS March 18 and found 3rd party booking sites a lot cheaper. But when you research Travel Trolly on Trip Advisor its all doom and gloom and dire warnings. But its good to hear first hand advice here but I am sure there are bad and very bad 3rd party sites that will fraudulent take your hard earned cash so buy beware. 

18 minutes ago, blowin said:

Great info here guys . I am planning a family trip to LOS March 18 and found 3rd party booking sites a lot cheaper. But when you research Travel Trolly on Trip Advisor its all doom and gloom and dire warnings. But its good to hear first hand advice here but I am sure there are bad and very bad 3rd party sites that will fraudulent take your hard earned cash so buy beware. 

I have used travel republic never had a problem, never booked Emirates with them as I have always got deals with Emirates & my Nationwide Visa card. Travel Republic is owned by Dnata who are owned by Emirates.

Story in the UK press somebody wanted a holiday in Thailand over Christmas but was not sure he could go so booked hotel in May with Expedia because it said free cancellation until 13th Dec. Wedding came up so cancelled the booking cost him £1670 because the hotels T&C did not allow cancellation on Christmas bookings only got his money back because the Daily Mail got involved. I will post link but I do know it is blocked in some countries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/experts/article-4941426/Expedia-charging-cancel-trip-FREE-cancellation.html

5 hours ago, shadowcat said:

Where to?. What does it weigh approx ? Is it bulky or compact. ie golf clubs or books ?

Just wondered if anyone knew rough cost per kilo. Probably only 4 or 5 kilos - mainly clothes (bought a few t-shirts), a programme from Malaysia GP and a few other odds and ends.

10 minutes ago, footix said:

Just wondered if anyone knew rough cost per kilo. Probably only 4 or 5 kilos - mainly clothes (bought a few t-shirts), a programme from Malaysia GP and a few other odds and ends.

mail is pricey 5.4 kilos  is 50 pounds. Buy a vest and wear them. Those cheap t shirts aren,t really that cheap.

The airlines will really stick it to you.

It costs the same for 5 kilos of silk as it does for 5 kilos of cotton if you get my drift.

Ask at one of the private post offices. There are deals around.

4 minutes ago, shadowcat said:

WHERE TO !? Anywhere ? Mumbai ? BEIJING ? manchester ? 

To answer the question please at least let us know what country you want the stuff sent to.

Sorry - to UK. Pre-booking extra baggage for flights has not been too much hassle but planning a few train and bus journeys in Cambodia and Vietnam. Don't really want to lug too much extra weight around. Cheers 

30 minutes ago, footix said:

always hand luggage for the GP program

5KG of SAL(economy air mail) parcel with Thai Post to UK is 1920THB  (I posted the fee calculator link earlier in this thread)

Though I'm puzzled why you'd do this as if as you say, you have the capacity in extra luggage you've already arranged with the airline for your return flight why not put the excess KGs into storage till to fly out?

On 05/10/2017 at 17:12, nunchuck said:

Had the same problem in June booked Emirates with Skyscanner  ,assumed was 30kg as always and couldn’t see baggage allowance until booked, anyway it was 23kgs 

so ask Emirates how much for 7kgs extra return they wanted £467 !!!!! Fuck me my flight was only £457 

anyway go in touch with Tavel trolly and they switch my flight to Qatar same times and 30 kgs

cost me £30 so not bad

booked yesterday with skyscanner and you can see luggage allowance (30kgs) now on website before booking  I checked first with travel trolly before booking just too be sure 

dont know why I couldn’t see allowance before in june

Just had a look to chose seats they want £20- £30 !!!  Never been charged before 

never mind will take what they give me 

I joined the Emirates FF programme a few years ago but in recent years I flew with Etihad.  Anyway last year I few with Emirates from Manchester to Thailand via Dubai. And I booked direct with them and was able to book my seats for free on all 4 flights.  And my luggage allowence for each flight was 30 kg.

This year I booked my flights to Thailand with Emirates and booked directly with them.  I was pleased with the price but should have concentrated more when I made the booking.  If I remember correctly there had 4 prices for there economy seats.  For my outward journey I booked Economy class special for both flights.  Economy class special was the cheapest price.  For my return flights I booked Economy class flex.

So for my outward journey my luggage allowence is 20Kg and I had to pay £20 for each flight for my seats.  £40 in total

For my return flight my luggage allowence is 30Kg and I could book my 2 seats for free.

So I am just hoping 20kg is OK for my outward journey.  I am hoping it will be because I normally buy some shirts and stuff whilst in Pattaya

2 minutes ago, nunchuck said:

Just had a look to chose seats they want £20- £30 !!!  Never been charged before 

That's an Emirates rule now, not a booking site issue.

i'm etihad who dropped economy luggage from 30 kg to 23 kg some time ago. but as a gold freq flyer i'm allowed 38 in total plus hand luggage and i've checked in with more than that several times. the check in staff have never said anything but 1 time a few years ago  i was a bit over with silver and i had to transfer weight to my hand luggage

2 hours ago, striderman said:

i'm etihad who dropped economy luggage from 30 kg to 23 kg some time ago. but as a gold freq flyer i'm allowed 38 in total plus hand luggage and i've checked in with more than that several times. the check in staff have never said anything but 1 time a few years ago  i was a bit over with silver and i had to transfer weight to my hand luggage

Your 'Country' flag shows UK so Im assuming Etihad UK/Thailand/UK

Basic (cheapo)Economy = 1 x 23KG + 1 x 23KG for the Gold member

Classic or Flex Economy = 2 x 23KG + 1 x 23KG for the Gold member

So I think you are misleading yourself with a 38KG checked in total

Etihad.JPG?raw=1

+ Silver/Gold/Platinum Guest excess allowance:

Etihad2.JPG.b1981e65da2c626236986d573079c49c.JPG

5 minutes ago, regyai said:

Your 'Country' flag shows UK so Im assuming Etihad UK/Thailand/UK

Basic (cheapo)Economy = 1 x 23KG + 1 x 32KG for the Gold member

Classic or Flex Economy = 2 x 23KG + 1 x 32KG for the Gold member

So I think you are misleading yourself with a 38KG checked in total

it's 23 plus 15. i've done enough flights. you are adding the business allowance to economy. it is economy plus 15 for a gold card holder.

a lot of the incoming is for hungry expat falangs i know.

No, look again (I edited my 32KG typos straight after posting)

Business gets you 3 x 32KG and economy 2 (or 3) x 23KG

(I've more than a few with them myself ...a couple more for Platinum)

I think you are looking at the wrong allowances, there's piece concept (which applies to UK originating flights to Thailand) as I've outlined

&

There's Weight concept (which does give + 15KG excess for a Gold Card Guest) which broadly speaking applies to flights starting/finishing in the Middle East / India

http://www.etihad.com/en-gb/before-you-fly/baggage-information/allowances/

http://www.etihadguest.com/en/programme/benefits/

On 10/7/2017 at 05:06, blowin said:

Totally agree.. You can sometimes save lots with 3rd party agents. Usually there are caveats though. You just need to be aware of them. Usually these are the cheapest economy seats that don't let you pick seats. There might be cancellation/change restrictions too.. Also, after you book, you should confirm with the airline that they got your reservation. One time, the airline told my friend that the agency never confirmed with the airline and so they didn't put in his reservation! There was a big argument with the agency and they put him on a different flight (I think he paid some extra too).

Just noticed this thread,  the title should have been  " Read the terms & conditions of the ticket you buy  "

For information,  the Emirates 20kg baggage is only on the very cheap economy special tickets, which aren't available on all flights on all routes.  This came into play June 2016, 15 months ago

All Emirates tickets offer free seat selection, however the cheapest economy tickets only allow this now 48hrs before your flight. This changed 1 October 2016, prior to this, free seat reservation was immediate once the flight had been paid for

As for choosing to book with well known shoddy 3rd party agents, instead of direct with the airline as recommended, your choice but don't moan if it goes pear-shaped.

12 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

As for choosing to book with well known shoddy 3rd party agents, instead of direct with the airline as recommended, your choice but don't moan if it goes pear-shaped.

.......and when you've used the same "shoddy 3rd party agents" for at least 250 bookings as I mentioned earlier (travel trolley) and they have been superb throughout with never an issue I'm going to big them up

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2017 at 06:34, penboy said:

I stopped using agent booking sites years ago. They may sell tickets cheaper than buying from the airline direct, but there is a reason for that i.e. terms and conditions are not as good.

I will never buy airline tickets thru Expedia. Several years ago, when I was traveling a lot, I was at the gate waiting for my flight. A customer came to the gate with a problem. He had missed his flight, and needed to get on another. The agent looked at his record and said: “you booked your ticket through Expedia, so you’ll have to contact them to help you. I’m sorry, but I can’t help you.”

I also check Expedia when I’m looking for flight options. When I compare their prices with those on the carrier’s website, I very seldom find their prices any cheaper. 

Archived