IGNORED

Passport Title

Mishko

9 minutes ago, Mishko said:

I don't really, ID's are more widely used in Thailand, I understand that.

I am happy to replace the word Passport for ID in my original question. But read my post above.

As Insomniac correctly stated, her ID card should be reissued as Mrs. after getting married.

I don't know which comment above you are referring to. If it is about fake ID cards - I don't know about those, or street sellers offering fake Thai ID cards for 1,000 baht.  Offering to who? I do know that there is a smart chip in the real ones with the details that are on a Thai citizen's house papers plus some other stuff, so assuming fake cards are available, I guess they might get past a casual inspection but not a full blown one.

I have heard of other fake documents like university degrees being readily available - never of ID cards, but then it's not something I would be likely to come across.

11 minutes ago, ex-pat said:

As Insomniac correctly stated, her ID card should be reissued as Mrs. after getting married.

I don't know which comment above you are referring to. If it is about fake ID cards - I don't know about those, or street sellers offering fake Thai ID cards for 1,000 baht.  Offering to who? I do know that there is a smart chip in the real ones with the details that are on a Thai citizen's house papers plus some other stuff, so assuming fake cards are available, I guess they might get past a casual inspection but not a full blown one.

I have heard of other fake documents like university degrees being readily available - never of ID cards, but then it's not something I would be likely to come across.

I saw it myself when I was there, driving licenses were available if I remember correctly, and this is another form of ID, hence my question.

4 hours ago, Mishko said:

But is it possible to forge your ID and change your status, going to one of those street vendors that offer you fake documents for 1000  BHTS?

Yes it would be possible, but highly unusual. Few girls would take the legal risk unless there was a great Desire to do so, such as working in a bar under age.

44 minutes ago, Insomniac said:

Yes it would be possible, but highly unusual. Few girls would take the legal risk unless there was a great desire to do so, such as working in a bar under age.

I give for granted that case would be a lot more serious than only changing a title on a "spare" ID you could get.

Maybe a 16/17 yo who could pass off as slightly older could do it to gain access to the "freelance" discos, if she's FL.

14 hours ago, Mishko said:

I give for granted that case would be a lot more serious than only changing a title on a "spare" ID you could get.

Maybe a 16/17 yo who could pass off as slightly older could do it to gain access to the "freelance" discos, if she's FL.

Very unlikely if any Thai girl would risk up to 5 years in prison under Section 265 of the Thai Penal Code to enter a disco. Many worldwide IDs are available in Khao Sahn road, but not Thai.

I bumped on someone on another forum who posted the following info, with a different take about ID's, etc..any thoughts?

A Thai ID card from date of issue runs for 6 years until it’s expiry date.

If the person was single on the first card, she can follow this through on all consecutive cards if she does not inform them at the Amphur office that she is married as no one does any checks.

It is up to the ID card holder to submit details of marriage when renewing the card, not an automatic process completed by the Amphur to obtain a marriage certificate.

Same with Thai passports, the holder by law (female) should disclosed new married surname, but again, no one checks if she fails to do so"

I also read that in Thai+Thai marriages many Thais only go through the ceremonial part with the monks, and that does not constitute a legal marriage. So a husband is not a legal spouse here as the official registration is never made. It is up to her and him if they consider themselves married. Any truth into that?

Not to put too fine a point on this, but ~why would it matter~ ? 

I know for me, I have two concerns; is there informed consent (and that implies of legal age), and was the lady born a girl. Whatever her personal relationship status is, is her moral dilemma. Why do you care? What is the point of this thread, and what relevance does it have to mongering in Pattaya?

Some posts removed.

Mishko, you keep going around in circles, people are trying to help you and you're frustrating them.

It would help if you told the whole story from beginning to end. You keep changing direction.

12 hours ago, Mishko said:

I bumped on someone on another forum who posted the following info, with a different take about ID's, etc..any thoughts?

A Thai ID card from date of issue runs for 6 years until it’s expiry date.

If the person was single on the first card, she can follow this through on all consecutive cards if she does not inform them at the Amphur office that she is married as no one does any checks.

It is up to the ID card holder to submit details of marriage when renewing the card, not an automatic process completed by the Amphur to obtain a marriage certificate.

Same with Thai passports, the holder by law (female) should disclosed new married surname, but again, no one checks if she fails to do so"

I also read that in Thai+Thai marriages many Thais only go through the ceremonial part with the monks, and that does not constitute a legal marriage. So a husband is not a legal spouse here as the official registration is never made. It is up to her and him if they consider themselves married. Any truth into that?

I will make one final comment before departing.:) There are some inaccuracies in the post on the other forum.

1. Cannot change details on Thai passport as now chipped. Comments way out of date.

2. Sure nobody has to follow the law regarding changing an ID within 30 days but suffer the consequences when the marriage certificate is eventually produced.

3.Ceremony with monks means nothing in law. Purely a party.

I wish people on other forums would keep their opinions to themselves unless they have studied Thai Law for 4 years such as myself.:Hair_Out1:

Archived