Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Passport Title

Mishko

Hi guys, if a woman is married in Thailand, how does it show on her passport, "Mrs", or could it show "Miss"? 

Is this good evidence of marriage?

This is Thailand Mishko where anything goes,passport is no evidence of marriage or not...:Crazy1:

So you are saying that it doesn't need to be changed then. Just to be clear on that

I know Thailand is corrupt but don't know to what lengths.

If you're talking about Thai nationals, shouldn't you be asking about ID cards rather than passports? If so, yes, on a valid ID card, a married woman will have Mrs on her ID card and an unmarried woman will have Miss on her ID card. There's no "Ms" in Thailand. :-) A guy, even if he's had is dick turned inside out to make a pussy, and no matter how passable, will still have Mr on the ID card.

I'd check my wife's Thai passport to see if there's an indication of marriage on it, but I'm too lazy to go dig it out of the safe. The ID card answer I know off the top of my head. All Thai's above child age have an ID card, not all Thai's have passports.

So you got me curious. Yes, the Thai password has a Title field for Mr. Mrs or Miss. I would expect the letter of the law says that a status change should be noted on the passport. Personally, I would not view that as any assurance of marital status. I would not really expect a Thai lady to update her passport before the passport expired, and she ~had~ to update the passport. 

A related story: the letter of the law says that when you change addresses, you are supposed to change your Drivers License, since that has your address on it. I moved from Pattaya to Udon, and like the (mostly) law abiding person I am, I went down to the office that makes driving licenses to change my address. They thought I was nuts. The could not understand why I would pay to change my license, especially since it wouldn't extend the expiration any. I paid to get it updated, so my license, and registration, and insurance all had the same address, but it wasn't something they were accustomed to. Why pay for something that isn't getting you anything? (other than code compliance, which does not seem all that important to the average Thai citizen.)

So, my opinion on the original question: yes it should, but no, it probably isn't.

54 minutes ago, Mishko said:

I wasn't aware they also have ID cards...but yes the question would be directed on both documents.

Have you been to Thailand ?

If so, and have brought BG's back to your hotel,  then you would know that they normally have to turn in their ID cards at the front desk.

7 minutes ago, ShaneFalco said:

Have you been to Thailand ?

If so, and have brought BG's back to your hotel,  then you would know that they normally have to turn in their ID cards at the front desk.

That depends on where you stay really; in more than a decade I can count on one hand the times I've had girls hand ID in (hotels/serviced apartments, guesthouses not really my thing). Last week, the place I was staying said I had to ... trotted up, receptionist said the girl has no ID is it OK ... and off we went to the room. On the other hand, in a hotel in Bkk a few years back they insisted one night ... which was kinda strange as the same girl had been with me all week :Dunno1: TIT.

1 hour ago, Garzan said:

If you're talking about Thai nationals, shouldn't you be asking about ID cards rather than passports? If so, yes, on a valid ID card, a married woman will have Mrs on her ID card and an unmarried woman will have Miss on her ID card. There's no "Ms" in Thailand. :-) A guy, even if he's had is dick turned inside out to make a pussy, and no matter how passable, will still have Mr on the ID card.

I'd check my wife's Thai passport to see if there's an indication of marriage on it, but I'm too lazy to go dig it out of the safe. The ID card answer I know off the top of my head. All Thai's above child age have an ID card, not all Thai's have passports.

Newbies take heed, love the ID checks at the desk and take a look yourself, nobody wants a bad surprise in the room.

6 hours ago, Mishko said:

Hi guys, if a woman is married in Thailand, how does it show on her passport, "Mrs", or could it show "Miss"? 

No, many don’t care changing after marriage.

Only useful to know if “she” happens to be a “he”.

But even then they can use their sister’s ID.

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

5 hours ago, Garzan said:

So you got me curious. Yes, the Thai password has a Title field for Mr. Mrs or Miss. I would expect the letter of the law says that a status change should be noted on the passport. Personally, I would not view that as any assurance of marital status. I would not really expect a Thai lady to update her passport before the passport expired, and she ~had~ to update the passport. 

A related story: the letter of the law says that when you change addresses, you are supposed to change your Drivers License, since that has your address on it. I moved from Pattaya to Udon, and like the (mostly) law abiding person I am, I went down to the office that makes driving licenses to change my address. They thought I was nuts. The could not understand why I would pay to change my license, especially since it wouldn't extend the expiration any. I paid to get it updated, so my license, and registration, and insurance all had the same address, but it wasn't something they were accustomed to. Why pay for something that isn't getting you anything? (other than code compliance, which does not seem all that important to the average Thai citizen.)

So, my opinion on the original question: yes it should, but no, it probably isn't.

On farangs’ driving licences is also their passport number, no country however.

Do you replace your driving licence after you get a new passport?

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

4 hours ago, Ru4Real said:

That depends on where you stay really; in more than a decade I can count on one hand the times I've had girls hand ID in (hotels/serviced apartments, guesthouses not really my thing). Last week, the place I was staying said I had to ... trotted up, receptionist said the girl has no ID is it OK ... and off we went to the room. On the other hand, in a hotel in Bkk a few years back they insisted one night ... which was kinda strange as the same girl had been with me all week :Dunno1: TIT.

As stated in my post, Normally & hotels.

I think i have only stayed in 1 hotel in Jomtien that didnt check, and keep,  the ID card.

38 minutes ago, starfucks said:

No we don't replace driving licence after new passport.

14 hours ago, Mishko said:

The marital status cannot be changed on current e-passport. Would have to get new passport supported by updated Id which has to be changed by law. So having a passport with miss on it does not mean the girl is not married.

13 hours ago, starfucks said:

On farangs’ driving licences is also their passport number, no country however.

Not yet. I now have a Thailand "pink" ID card, and because of my age, it is non expiring. An expat friend here in Udon renewed his license, and got the number from his Thailand "pink" ID card used instead of his British Passport number. That is my plan when I do get down to the license place and replace my current license. I've updated my new passport number with the telephone carrier, and my two Thai bank accounts, but I've been remiss on the license. 

(but also because of my age, I'm not sure how many more passport changes I will end up going through.)  555 :-)

11 hours ago, Garzan said:

Not yet. I now have a Thailand "pink" ID card, and because of my age, it is non expiring. An Expat friend here in Udon renewed his license, and got the number from his Thailand "pink" ID card used instead of his British Passport number. That is my plan when I do get down to the license place and replace my current license. I've updated my new passport number with the telephone carrier, and my two Thai bank accounts, but I've been remiss on the license. 

(but also because of my age, I'm not sure how many more passport changes I will end up going through.)  555 :-)

What’s a Thailand “pink” ID card?

Never heard of.

1 minute ago, Peeping Tom said:

Thai ID card for foreigners ... you have to be on the yellow book (if I remember correctly?).

THAILAND-Pink-ID-Card.jpg

Not mine BTW ... I don't have one nor do I live there.

6 hours ago, Peeping Tom said:

Never heard of.

555 Let me Google that for you. :-)

http://www.isaanlawyers.com/pink-thai-id-card-foreigners-thailand/

(also so I don't have to retype all the information.)

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 18:04, Mishko said:

if a woman is married in Thailand, how does it show on her passport, "Mrs", or could it show "Miss"?  Is this good evidence of marriage?

I think that in Thailand, like in most western countries, the married lady can put what she want on her ID / Passport : "Mrs" or "Miss"

This law result from "women-men equality" laws. Men IDs don't show if they are married, so why should women IDs show so ?

53 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

I think that in Thailand, like in most western countries, the married lady can put what she want on her ID / Passport : "Mrs" or "Miss"

This law result from "women-men equality" laws. Men IDs don't show if they are married, so why should women IDs show so ?

Well, it'd be nice to think that, but you would be wrong. :-) They cannot choose a Westernized generic "Ms" either.

3 hours ago, Oukiva said:

Passport up to you. Also now up to woman if she takes husband's surname. She has no choice with regard to ID. Must show Mrs if married. No equality in Thailand on various things.

7 hours ago, Insomniac said:

Passport up to you. Also now up to woman if she takes husband's surname. She has no choice with regard to ID. Must show Mrs if married. No equality in Thailand on various things.

But is it possible to forge your ID and change your status, going to one of those street vendors that offer you fake documents for 1000  BHTS?

Few Thais have passports, and it would be very unusual for a Thai to show a passport as ID within Thailand. I don't even know how well accepted it would be instead of the ID card in many situations.

Passports are used more outside the country, yeah? And a foreign country is not going to take Mrs. on the passport as proof of marriage, so I don't understand why you care. 

54 minutes ago, ex-pat said:

Passports are used more outside the country, yeah? And a foreign country is not going to take Mrs. on the passport as proof of marriage, so I don't understand why you care. 

I don't really, ID's are more widely used in Thailand, I understand that.

I am happy to replace the word Passport for ID in my original question. But read my post above.

Archived