IGNORED

New Expat First Car Considerations

night_rider

If you were a new expat, what vehicle would you choose as your first vehicle?

I know it's a broad question so first allow me to narrow the conversation to used cars. My understanding is that before the 2013 (?) first time car buyer incentive, the gap between new and used prices made new a logical choice. However the first time car buyer incentive flooded the market with used cars and depressed prices to a point that used cars are a better value proposition.

Also assume driving around Chonburi with trips upcountry and into Bangkok. Assume a budget under 1mil.

My initial thoughts were to stick with something built in Thailand to a high standard. Something like a high mileage BMW or mini Cooper. I'd appreciate others input.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mini cooper for under 1 mill baht would be around the year 2005/6 if in decent condition,  or a BMW320i  year 2012ish. If buying from a dealer you will need to add 7% tax, buying private no tax but no guarantees or maintenance package that you may secure from a dealer. I have purchased 7 new cars in Thailand, 6 Toyota and one Mazda. I still have three of them the others when sold all brought a good price making my motoring to date a reasonable cost.

Right now the market is flooded with with lower end vehicles and with the bargains being offered on new pick-ups there is little point in buying a secondhand one. I was about to sell  a 2 year old Toyota pick-up and buy a new everyday vehicle,  on seeing the price offered I decided to keep it and use it for the business and just buy my new vehicle. 

Clocking and such practices on used cars are standard everyday challenges here. Lacking any mechanical skills I tend to stick with new purchases.

The last thing you want is a fucking Beemer or Mini with miles on them.

Grab a Toyota,Nissan or Mazda and that's the last time you will have to worry about it.

Close the thread,the Lord has spoken.

Edit,but I assume that you will do what you want anyway and live to regret it,like my buddies over here who have bought BMW's and F150's.

Possibly stupid question but can any tourist  buy a car and have it in their name or do you have to be on a particular visa?

7 hours ago, Tarl said:

Possibly stupid question but can any tourist  buy a car and have it in their name or do you have to be on a particular Visa?

Yes and "O" visa (long stay) :ThumbUp6:

As for the car I,m on my second Nissan Almera,liked the second hand one so much I bought a new one.............done nearly 80K miles in both (long trips from Patts each month down to Trang...nearly 2000 kms round trip) getting 20 kms/litre of fuel (58 miles/gallon) big car yet only a 1200 engine and never any problems :Clap:

5 minutes ago, petermik said:

Yes and "O" Visa (long stay) :ThumbUp6:

As for the car I,m on my second Nissan Almera,liked the second hand one so much I bought a new one.............done nearly 80K miles in both (long trips from Patts each month down to Trang...nearly 2000 kms round trip) getting 20 kms/litre of fuel (58 miles/gallon) big car yet only a 1200 engine and never any problems :Clap:

Cool thanks. Mate of min has a 6 mth METV and was looking to buy a car and travel all over Thailand for 8 mths then sell it and return home. Will let him know that isn't an option.

my first car was a yarris, easy to control, lot of room inside, not much gas, enough power and mostly easy to park

2 hours ago, petermik said:

Yes and "O" Visa (long stay) :ThumbUp6:

It's interesting you mention that. I was looking at Nissan's lineup for Thailand this afternoon and seemed they were underpowered to the Nissan's I've seen in the US.

3 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

Grab a Toyota,Nissan or Mazda and that's the last time you will have to worry about it.

Edit,but I assume that you will do what you want anyway and live to regret it,like my buddies over here who have bought BMW's and F150's.

My only thought for a BWM or Mini was for something half way reliable. I know it's a different market but used BMW and Mini's go quite cheap over here and will run well over 100k miles. The Mini was more a compromise to the Pattaya traffic and a bug my boss put in my ear that they're a fun ride.

I'd also consider an electric vehicle like a Tesla if the Thai government has an incentive program. I've read a Tesla exec met with the PM about the possibilities of opening a plant here with all the excess capacity they have in Rayong. They didn't say but hinted it was a covert visit from Elon Musk.

7 hours ago, night_rider said:

It's interesting you mention that. I was looking at Nissan's lineup for Thailand this afternoon and seemed they were underpowered to the Nissan's I've seen in the US.

The Almera here is 1200cc 3 cylinders they put the smaller engine (in Aus/India/Malaysia its 1500 cc I believe) in to qualify it as an Eco car with big tax benefits,as there is only myself and the missus 90% of the time its absolutely fine,I,ve had four in with luggage and gone down to Krabi (850 kms) and yes when climbing hills it could do with more power,performance for me is immaterial,economy and reliability are more important......it cruises all day long at 100/120 kms/hour and that,s enough for me :ThumbUp6:

I have rented many cars in thailand. 

The best cars I have found for getting around in thailand are the small toyotas or hondas - yaris or jazz. Easy to park, can do 120 on the highway no problem, use bugger all fuel.

Unless you need a big car, one of these is the way to go. I have a SUV in australia - but now my kids are older I will certainly be downsizing.

12 Pints in Know it all

7 hours ago, Cerberus said:

A mini cooper for under 1 mill baht would be around the year 2005/6 if in decent condition,  or a BMW320i  year 2012ish. If buying from a dealer you will need to add 7% tax, buying private no tax but no guarantees or maintenance package that you may secure from a dealer. I have purchased 7 new cars in Thailand, 6 Toyota and one Mazda. I still have three of them the others when sold all brought a good price making my motoring to date a reasonable cost.

Right now the market is flooded with with lower end vehicles and with the bargains being offered on new pick-ups there is little point in buying a secondhand one. I was about to sell  a 2 year old Toyota pick-up and buy a new everyday vehicle,  on seeing the price offered I decided to keep it and use it for the business and just buy my new vehicle. 

Clocking and such practices on used cars are standard everyday challenges here. Lacking any mechanical skills I tend to stick with new purchases.

My trustworthy BKK Gik told me that many of the second hand vehicles have been subject to flooding from time to time, I've no idea how accurate that is, but she works for her uncle who's a shady businessman and would know the score 555.

7 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

Agreed, I've been a Toyota man for decades and never had a problem.

12 minutes ago, Captain Courageous said:

My trustworthy BKK Gik told me that many of the second hand vehicles have been subject to flooding from time to time, I've no idea how accurate that is, but she works for her uncle who's a shady businessman and would know the score 555.

Yep the second market is full of traps. Buying from a one owner full service records Farang who you can verify is a possible but I have only ever bought new, the price differential is not enough to encourage one otherwise.

6 x Toyota one of which has now done 179,000k and I have only ever added Diesel and water for the windscreen. wipers

6 hours ago, night_rider said:

My only thought for a BWM or Mini was for something half way reliable. I know it's a different market but used BMW and Mini's go quite cheap over here and will run well over 100k miles. The Mini was more a compromise to the Pattaya traffic and a bug my boss put in my ear that they're a fun ride.

I'd also consider an electric vehicle like a Tesla if the Thai government has an incentive program. I've read a Tesla exec met with the PM about the possibilities of opening a plant here with all the excess capacity they have in Rayong. They didn't say but hinted it was a covert visit from Elon Musk.

I can buy and drive whatever I want,and I've repaired every make of car out there at some point.

i have a Toyota Tundra,white and my wife has a 2017 Toyota Corolla,silver and that's only because the first car I bought her was a 2006 Corolla and she absolutely loves them.

Buy the Toyota and fuck the BMW and Mini off.

They are now where near as good as people,think they are.

Actually,my expert opinion is that they are shit.Honestly.

Would never buy one,would never buy my wife one,would never advise any of my friends to buy one.

I just sold my Aston Martin Vantage and will buy another one of those,but honestly,it got to the point where I preferred to drive Wifey's Corolla.

Buy a Toyota and never have to concern yourself with the vehicle again.

Ive driven and repaired Tesla's and I wouldn't have one of those in Thailand either.

here would be a different story.

I know it might cause some ridicule among the older fraternity who are kind of living in the past but if your budget is around 1 mill take a serious look at the Ranger I'm on my second one and never missed a beat.

Keep in mind the heavy rain and flooding all your Toyota Corolla crowd just park up and wait for the water to subside. Which leads to another point mentioned beware of cars that have been flooded out I've seen them many times at the car wash places stripped out drying out !

A Ranger would be a good buy if you wanted to have to go to the dentist every 6 months.

You can buy a Toyota Truck,for the same price as a Ford.

7 minutes ago, Skalliwag said:

A Ranger would be a good buy if you wanted to have to go to the dentist every 6 months.

You can buy a Toyota Truck,for the same price as a Ford.

True but as I said living in the past very old fashioned opinion based on what current experience ?

In Thailand I would go for Toyota.

Well made and if you are not a mechanic, there are lots of service centres for them.

Maybe I am a little bit biased, as one of my brothers used to be quality control for suppliers to Toyota and then advised on new builds and is now a senior manager for Toyota.

Outside of Thailand I drive a Subaru Forester, that would not work in Thailand, as it would confuse them with the engine layout.

Toyota pick-up.

Had one in Udon.

Banana trees to plant? Stick them on back. Ditto drainage pipes etc.

Road flooded? No problem.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

50 minutes ago, Czmate said:

True but as I said living in the past very old fashioned opinion based on what current experience ?

Owning and operating 2 Autobody shops for 17 years.Im 46 years old.

Owned a Ranger as a Courtesy truck,bought in brand new,as it was a cheap lease,sent it back,cause it's shit,took a beating on it and will never own a Ford again.

No,not even a Raptor.

My buddies that bought F150's cause they are cheap,will never own them again after seeing my Tundra.

They were so bad,Ford stopped making them,and when I climbed all over one in Thailand in January,I saw much of the same quality that I saw back then.lolol.

No thanks.

You have a Toyota and. Ford for the same price?

You would either have to be crazy,or a super fan of the blue oval brigade to buy the Ford.

Can you imagine the fatalities large scale Tesla & EV ownership would cause in Thailand if you take into account the state of the current physical power supply and the tendency of many to play fast and loose regarding volts and safety!

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

3 minutes ago, Pepe Le Pew said:

Can you imagine the fatalities large scale Tesla & EV ownership would cause in Thailand if you take into account the state of the current physical power supply and the tendency of many to play fast and loose regarding volts and safety!

Actually I was thinking about charging an EV with solar panels and having no fuel costs for the foreseeable future. 

Speaking of the virtues of Toyota, does anyone know if Lexus is built in Thailand?

22 hours ago, night_rider said:

what vehicle would you choose?

But you've been through so much together :wacko:

IMG_0651.JPG

52 minutes ago, taylor1975 said:

But you've been through so much together :wacko:

IMG_0651.JPG

In Pattaya, that's not what she's riding at night.

Archived