IGNORED

New Expat First Car Considerations

night_rider

I have lived here off and on for 12 years now and I have thought of buying a car many times. Every time I am stopped by the simple math. Getting around by baht bus costs about 30 baht per day or $30 per month. A new car will cost me $15,000 so depreciation will be about $1500 or $125 per month. Figure fill up with gas once a week, maybe another $125 per month, insurance at least $80 per month even if I stop it when I go home for several months.So I can spend $30 per month or $330 per month. Sure having my own car would be nice, but it would sit unused for the months I am back in the states.

Cost wise it makes more sense for me to use baht buses and Uber here and a rented car back in the U.S. Moreover, autonomous cars are coming soon and then it won't make sense for anyone to own a personal car. Just my cheap charlie opinion. All wealthy expats can of course disregard everything I have just said.

The wife and I were very happy for 20 years, then we met.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cjtrader said:

I have lived here off and on for 12 years now and I have thought of buying a car many times. Every time I am stopped by the simple math. Getting around by baht bus costs about 30 baht per day or $30 per month. A new car will cost me $15,000 so depreciation will be about $1500 or $125 per month. Figure fill up with gas once a week, maybe another $125 per month, insurance at least $80 per month even if I stop it when I go home for several months.So I can spend $30 per month or $330 per month. Sure having my own car would be nice, but it would sit unused for the months I am back in the states.

Cost wise it makes more sense for me to use baht buses and Uber here and a rented car back in the U.S. Moreover, autonomous cars are coming soon and then it won't make sense for anyone to own a personal car. Just my cheap charlie opinion. All wealthy expats can of course disregard everything I have just said.

Kind of depends on where you live and what you do.  If you live across Sukimvit you might NEED a car to get anywhere.  Or if like me, you are a golfer, it can be convenient and worth it to own one.  I don't have one as I find it easier to play with the various bar venues and have lots of expat friends with cars.  But if I lived here I think it would be worth having one.

4 hours ago, fatjack1 said:

Kind of depends on where you live and what you do.  If you live across Sukimvit you might NEED a car to get anywhere.  Or if like me, you are a golfer, it can be convenient and worth it to own one.  I don't have one as I find it easier to play with the various bar venues and have lots of Expat friends with cars.  But if I lived here I think it would be worth having one.

Add to that, going shopping during rainy season when you just have a scooter sucks. :-)

Not so bad now in Central Pattaya since many of the big markets (Big C, Tesco, etc) will allow you to order online and will deliver to your door. If you're out a ways, even not so far out on the Darkside, hanging shopping bags off your scooter handlebars in the rain is no fun at all. 

I have three different friends that have the ford wildcat and love them

19 hours ago, cjtrader said:

buy a good used one, after their first dump in price, they hold it pretty good.   car....much safer....and you dont get rained on

Archived