IGNORED

Filipino Restaurant?

bossfearless

2 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

Peanut butter is surprising. Sounds maybe good. 

It was. I was shocked. And then the ex did not want to do that anymore, among other things. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

It was. I was shocked. And then the ex did not want to do that anymore, among other things. :rolleyes:

I think I will try it without the PB first. I just bought some Bay leaves so I'm getting there. 

Just made chix adobo the other night, was great. Been to one Filipino rest. In pats with a hotel worker that was from PI. Was good, but didn't have sinagang so not sure I'd go back. I'll let you know if I remember the name.

Philipino food ?? The cuisine that even phillipinos will not eat if any other cuisine available........................................:wacko:

21 minutes ago, Yahooka said:

Philipino food ?? The cuisine that even phillipinos will not eat if any other cuisine available........................................:wacko:

That's the one, yes. :)

Food-Jollibee.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.  Just for the record, I agree with pretty much everyone here that Filipino food is just terrible.  Just god awful.  But I want to try and be helpful, and I usually do end up eating it out of politeness.

Hot dogs chopped up on everything, sheesh.

• 3 months later...
On 9/18/2017 at 17:52, Kreggerz said:

I really like chicken adobo.

Found this recipe and it looks really easy. 

http://www.food.com/recipe/filipino-chicken-adobo-400097

I might try to cook it. 

I probably won't add the MSG though and I think fresh garlic sounds better than garlic powder. Not sure what kind of soy sauce to use. 

See there is no sugar in it.

Cooking chicken with skin would make it tastier and more authentic with the fat cooked in. 

I finally got around to trying to cook Adobo. I actually bought a new pot to cook it in. The first time I mostly followed the proportions and technique in the recipe above but used real garlic and whole peppercorns. I used chicken on the bone and didn't remove the skin. The result was just OK. Too much fat, not enough vinegar, and couldn't even taste the garlic maybe because it had cooked so long and covered by the fat.

So then I did some more research which said nobody cooks Adobo one time. The idea is to adjust the Adobo to your own taste.

So the second time I got more fancy. Removed the skin. After half the cooking time added carrots, potatoes, and shiitake mushrooms. Later added some dried bean curd stick. Upped the vinegar ratio. Used rice vinegar instead of the cheapest regular vinegar.

At the onion added phase (last few minutes) also added chopped garlic. 

Final add was some bok choy to steam a little but really did that mainly because I had it in the house. 

This variation burned a little at the bottom but didn't ruin the dish. 

The flavor was much, much better. But the potatoes were overcooked and the vinegar tastes still wasn't enough. Putting in the garlic late was a real improvement so had a strong garlic flavor, which I like. 

But it was so good that I know it will be a regular dish for me.

Next time I will add the potatoes later, forget the bean curd stick (might have caused the burn), and up the vinegar ratio. 

I had been tempted to add hot chilies and ginger but I think that would mess with the authentic flavor too much. 

Also I've been serving it over rice noodles instead of rice mainly because it's less work to cook noodles than rice. 

The moral of the story is adjust the recipe to your taste and you can probably cook an Adobo that you'll love.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 16:57, Kreggerz said:

I finally got around to trying to cook Adobo. I actually bought a new pot to cook it in. The first time I mostly followed the proportions and technique in the recipe above but used real garlic and whole peppercorns. I used chicken on the bone and didn't remove the skin. The result was just OK. Too much fat, not enough vinegar, and couldn't even taste the garlic maybe because it had cooked so long and covered by the fat.

So then I did some more research which said nobody cooks Adobo one time. The idea is to adjust the Adobo to your own taste.

So the second time I got more fancy. Removed the skin. After half the cooking time added carrots, potatoes, and shiitake mushrooms. Later added some dried bean curd stick. Upped the vinegar ratio. Used rice vinegar instead of the cheapest regular vinegar.

At the onion added phase (last few minutes) also added chopped garlic. 

Final add was some bok choy to steam a little but really did that mainly because I had it in the house. 

This variation burned a little at the bottom but didn't ruin the dish. 

The flavor was much, much better. But the potatoes were overcooked and the vinegar tastes still wasn't enough. Putting in the garlic late was a real improvement so had a strong garlic flavor, which I like. 

But it was so good that I know it will be a regular dish for me.

Next time I will add the potatoes later, forget the bean curd stick (might have caused the burn), and up the vinegar ratio. 

I had been tempted to add hot chilies and ginger but I think that would mess with the authentic flavor too much. 

Also I've been serving it over rice noodles instead of rice mainly because it's less work to cook noodles than rice. 

The moral of the story is adjust the recipe to your taste and you can probably cook an Adobo that you'll love.

Nice to see that you really tried to cook adobe. :) The boss is a Filipina and she can cook Filipino very well. Honestly, the whole family are all good cooks and what you have at home is not like anything you get on the street.  It's to bad the in Filipino culture you cook with what to have and that is what you get attitude. That one attitude shoots down what could be a good meal to something you will feed the dog with.  Glad that you tried and good luck.

p.s. I frigging hate adobo :)  and the boss know it.  

The BM asked a simple question, not what we thought of Filipino food. There are a couple of places of Facebook but they may have gone under. A quick google search will show you that.  

Yeah, I don't know of any Pinoy place here that exists now. If someone does, please post about it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've enjoyed some good Filipino food...but only in the Philippines. I would never voluntarily choose to eat Filipino food outside of their country. Actually not strictly true, I'll eat Adobo if a Filo friend makes it, but I would never pay for it here in Aus or anywhere else outside their country.

Adobo, Lechon and a few other dishes are okay. I think this has more to do with chance, as they use so much ketchup, sugar and anything else in every possible combination that a few things are by chance decent. A thousand monkeys typing and all that.

Archived