IGNORED

Filipino Restaurant?

bossfearless

Does anyone know of a good (read: authentic) Filipino restaurant in Pattaya?  I have a Filipino friend coming with me this next trip and they want me to try some Filipino food.  Anyone got a recommendation?

Does such a place exist anywhere? I would rate it the worst cuisine in all of Asia, but fair play to you helping your friend out.

2 hours ago, tropicaloz said:

Does such a place exist anywhere? I would rate it the worst cuisine in all of Asia, but fair play to you helping your friend out.

I understand why people think that, but actually it can be really good.

How Filipino Food Is Becoming the Next Great American Cuisine

https://www.vogue.com/article/filipino-food-philippines-cuisine-restaurants

I was married to a Filipina for 10 years and have been to the PI a dozen or so times including much of the provinces. I have never noticed a PI restaurant in Patts. There might be a few more of them in Bangkok I would guess. Plenty of them in Hong Kong. They tend to sprout up where there are Filipino workers.

With regard to the cuisine, I am not a fan. When prepared carefully with good cuts of meat it can be quite good (Chicken Adobo for an example). But this is a culture based on make use of everything, so good cuts of meat are rare, and I do no mean cooked rare. Everything tends to be over cooked for bacteria control purposes. If ever in the PI remember to order any sandwich with the mayo on the side. Otherwise you will get the obligatory 1/4 cup of mayo on your one piece of suspect meat and wilted lettuce.

I once ordered some eggs over easy and the waiter looked at me like I was from Mars. The wife had to explain to him what I was saying. He re-gauged my origin to Neptune at that point. She said something to him in Warai that I am quite sure translated to "he is a fussy person".

Somebody stop me. Too many bad memories of over cooked fatty pork. Did I mention balut? I tried it once and gagged. Yak, yak, yak, yak ......

On 9/15/2017 at 12:02, tropicaloz said:

When I first went to the Philippines I was shocked by how bad the food is compared to any other country in SE Asia I had ever been to. Now in my 60's and after 25 years living mostly in Angeles (Phils) I would say the single reason I moved back to Thailand is the food. And the internet to a lesser degree.

I think Filipino food is amazing from what I've eaten of it, totally underrated and never caught on (yet) in America or the globe.

Many of the classic dishes have meat in them which I no longer eat, but they are good.

https://thetempest.co/2017/06/30/culture-taste/mixed-feelings-filipino-food-next-big-food-trend/

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Filipino food can be good. 

Generally speaking, though, it's bloody awful. 

In Thailand I can go to food courts, cafes, street food, small restaurants, big restaurants, and the food is almost always great. In the Philippines the food tends to be bland and thoroughly overcooked. They do an amazing roast pig though. 

10 hours ago, QuotaMan said:

I think Filipino food is amazing from what I've eaten of it, totally underrated and never caught on (yet) in America or the globe.

Many of the classic dishes have meat in them which I no longer eat, but they are good.

https://thetempest.co/2017/06/30/culture-taste/mixed-feelings-filipino-food-next-big-food-trend/

The differences influences on it are interesting and unique. Spanish, Chinese, traditional islands. 

Do a google on Venus restaurant in Pattaya, GF and her friends go there sometimes

On 9/15/2017 at 00:43, Kreggerz said:

I understand why people think that, but actually it can be really good.

https://www.vogue.com/article/filipino-food-philippines-cuisine-restaurants

I live in Los Angeles which is where most of the lauded new Filipino restaurants are.  The most crowded and popular Chinese restaurants here serve really authentic Chinese food.  Same with the Korean, Thai, Japanese, etc.  The most crowded and popular Filipino restaurants here serve hipster instagram versions of fusion Filipino food.  That's why I don't think Filipino food will ever be as big as any of the other popular Asian cuisines here.  People are into it now for the social media value, not because they like the core cuisine.  But everyone's trying so hard to make it a thing.  I mean that article above even attempted to talk up Jollibee spaghetti.  That's just sad.

As for me, there are a couple of Filipino dishes I really like.  They do great things with roast pork and Sinigang is one of my favorite soups ever.  But overall I find Filipino food just resembles a small subset of Chinese food with a lot more sugar and vinegar added. 

3 hours ago, Richmond72 said:

I mean that article above even attempted to talk up Jollibee spaghetti.  That's just sad.

Funny you mention Jollibee spaghetti. When in AC I often strip the meat off a street vendor BBQ chicken, mix it with 3-4 servings of Jollibee spaghetti and refrigerate overnight. Next day heat it in the microwave and it's very good, similar to home made. Letting it sit over night is the key, as with many tomato sauce dishes. The girls are skeptical at first but love it after tasting it. Guess I'm contributing to the "Jollibee stomach".

Never seen a filipino food restaurant outside of a community that doesn't have a decent sized filipino community to support it. This is unlike Thai, Vietnamese or even Laotian style restaurants, which can be found outside their home country and expat communities.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

The best Filipino food I've had was in Milpitas California and home cooking at Filipino parties. I've never had any of the trendy fusion stuff. Also two restaurants on the islands that were exceptionally good, the rest of it that I had there wasn't good. I don't think you can judge the food based on Jollibees any more than you can judge American food by McDonalds.

I agree it will never be nearly as internationally popular as Thai food, but I do think it will get more popular than it has been. That doesn't take much. 

In Pattaya, Filipino restaurants are targeted to their expats. I heard there was a popular one across from Bangkok Pattaya hospital but don't know if they're still open. 

21 hours ago, kahoy said:

When I first went to the Philippines I was shocked by how bad the food is compared to any other country in SE Asia I had ever been to. Now in my 60's and after 25 years living mostly in Angeles (Phils) I would say the single reason I moved back to Thailand is the food. And the internet to a lesser degree.

No mention of brown outs, cell phone disruptions, absurd banking rules that are getting worse, Foreigner price gouging, crumbling highway infrastructure, ...... ?

Just being a jerk here. As I would guess is true for you as well, I have a strong love/hate relationship with the PI. As I got older and more appreciative of creature comforts hate gained the upper hand. Have a lot of fond memories of Filipinas. They actually do enjoy sex, at least when they are younger. Obviously all of the above is IMO.

11 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

No mention of brown outs, cell phone disruptions, absurd banking rules that are getting worse,

I had a BPI USD bank account. Minimum balance $500, maximum single withdrawal 10,000 pesos in many ATMs, sometimes 20,000. 5 days to get my salary paid into it vs 1 day into Bangkok Bank. ATM mostly out of money after 4 or 5 hours and not refilled until mid afternoon the next day unless weekends or holidays. Frequently offline for internet reasons or can't connect with an overseas bank.

No 4G or even 3G connection in most areas, can't even download a page. Comclark minimum contract 2 years and penalty full rate for balance if bailing out early and way more epensive than Thailand. The girls still exclusively use sms because of the internet problem.

Brown outs are actually getting better but still fairly frequent due to load shedding otherwise known as "scheduled maintenance".

Oops. sorry OP, I just realised I thread jacked your topic.

13 minutes ago, kahoy said:

I had a BPI USD bank account. Minimum balance $500, maximum single withdrawal 10,000 pesos in many ATMs, sometimes 20,000. 5 days to get my salary paid into it vs 1 day into Bangkok Bank. ATM mostly out of money after 4 or 5 hours and not refilled until mid afternoon the next day unless weekends or holidays. Frequently offline for internet reasons or can't connect with an overseas bank.

No 4G or even 3G connection in most areas, can't even download a page. Comclark minimum contract 2 years and penalty full rate for balance if bailing out early and way more epensive than Thailand. The girls still exclusively use sms because of the internet problem.

Brown outs are actually getting better but still fairly frequent due to load shedding otherwise known as "scheduled maintenance".

Oops. sorry OP, I just realised I thread jacked your topic.

My US$ acct was with the 'Security' bank opposite savers mall in AC, was sick & tired of standing in a queue behind a horde of old maids depositing their coins gained from sales of that rubbish 'Health Drink'! Moved over to BPI & that was no better.

Used to pay for cable TV at Savers Mall where the service was abysmal!

Never did find any acceptable Filipino food either in Manila or AC, as for the Pork was usually all fat & crackling!

After living there through the Pinatubo eruption brown outs became a way of life I came to accept.

On 14/09/2017 at 06:53, bossfearless said:

Does anyone know of a good (read: authentic) Filipino restaurant in Pattaya?  I have a Filipino friend coming with me this next trip and they want me to try some Filipino food.  Anyone got a recommendation?

Not sure if Pattaya Pinoy Fast Food on Pattaya Klang is still open ?

Last update on their Facebook page was June.

https://www.facebook.com/Pattaya-PINOY-FAST-FOOD-291932567820808/

2 hours ago, twicestung said:

My US$ acct was with the 'Security' bank opposite savers mall in AC, was sick & tired of standing in a queue behind a horde of old maids depositing their coins gained from sales of that rubbish 'Health Drink'! Moved over to BPI & that was no better.

I had an account with HSBC in Manila. They were actually not bad for a lot things, although they misplaced transfers in twice and it took a month to straighten one of them out. 

After I became disenchanted with the PI and decided to close the account, it took 4 months to close the account. Effin' amazing.

Talk about a study in death by 1,000 small cuts.

I really like chicken adobo.

Found this recipe and it looks really easy. 

http://www.food.com/recipe/filipino-chicken-adobo-400097

I might try to cook it. 

I probably won't add the MSG though and I think fresh garlic sounds better than garlic powder. Not sure what kind of soy sauce to use. 

See there is no sugar in it.

Cooking chicken with skin would make it tastier and more authentic with the fat cooked in. 

35 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

I really like chicken adobo.

Found this recipe and it looks really easy. 

http://www.food.com/recipe/filipino-chicken-adobo-400097

I might try to cook it. 

I probably won't add the MSG though and I think fresh garlic sounds better than garlic powder. Not sure what kind of soy sauce to use. 

See there is no sugar in it.

Cooking chicken with skin would make it tastier and more authentic with the fat cooked in.

I would also suggest replacing the 1/4 teaspoon of pepper with a larger quantity of whole black peppercorns which is what Filipinos actually use. This recipe is very much adapted to Western kitchens.

Additionally, this meal often has potatoes in it and I prefer it this way. Use any dark, naturally fermented soy sauce.

4 hours ago, kahoy said:

I would also suggest replacing the 1/4 teaspoon of pepper with a larger quantity of whole black peppercorns which is what Filipinos actually use. This recipe is very much adapted to Western kitchens.

Additionally, this meal often has potatoes in it and I prefer it this way. Use any dark, naturally fermented soy sauce.

You're right. It's definitely supposed to have whole black peppercorns. I don't recall being served adobo with potatoes. Wouldn't they get all mushy if you cooked as long as the chicken?

38 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

You're right. It's definitely supposed to have whole black peppercorns. I don't recall being served adobo with potatoes. Wouldn't they get all mushy if you cooked as long as the chicken?

No, not when they are boiled in the soy and vinegar mix. You can put them in a little later if too soft. I fry the chicken a bit with the onions before adding the soy sauce and vinegar. Many recipes do that also.

Another thing many Filipinos do is add a splash of Sprite to sweeten it up a bit.

15 hours ago, kahoy said:

Another thing many Filipinos do is add a splash of Sprite to sweeten it up a bit.

Yeah, I think I've heard that before. Sounds very Filipino.  The American influence. 

19 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

Absolutely correct on the Black Peppercorns. Also the ex used to use a few more bay leaves. She never took the damn things out at the end like one is supposed to do with bay leaves. And yes actual garlic not garlic powder. I would kill the msg as well.

A variation she tried once was to add a little peanut butter (not the healthiest of stuff). It was pretty good, which surprised me.

I am certain she prepared a Visayas version and there are many regional differences within the PI. Also, we both preferred dark meat as it held up better to the braising process and I would certainly go bone-in as it adds a deeper flavor IMO.

Archived