IGNORED

do I need to get my passport laminated?

Djs1969

On 06/09/2017 at 16:47, adammike said:

You mean a copy of your passport,you need to show your passport when you change money I don't think a copy is enough.

At a bank they want to look at the real PP, at a currency exchange a copy will do, when I check into reception I just ask the girl to do a photocopy A$ of my PP, visa, and visa stamp all on one page.

4 minutes ago, Luggage said:

Strange the couple of times I exchanged currencies in Thailand I never been asked for my passport. 

they never used to ask but they do now. like many things it was a requirement that was simply ignored. it also gives them somewhere to start looking if counterfeit dollars etc are later found to have been used

On 9/6/2017 at 17:20, sean coast said:

yep i carry a credit card laminated copy of my passport just in case ....

Have carried one for years. My two Thai banks have accepted it on numerous occasions. Also used it at money exchange, getting discount vouchers at Tops , at the Discount sale they have in Tukcom every two weeks, registering a new Sim Card, etc, etc.

Except don't as many people do, get your current visa copied on the back. The copy Passport will do you for many years but your visa has a limited life. Just also keep a paper copy of the current Visa.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

No harm in getting a laminated copy. It should be good for changing money.
It is also good if you get stopped by the police as by law a tourist is supposed to carry their passport ID with them at all times.

On 20/09/2017 at 02:06, Harry Brown said:

If you are in BKK or Pattaya it's even stranger if you haven't. At least for a copy of your PP  If you are up country somewhere then maybe they are a bit slacker.

It was only last year, did Bangkok and pattaya. There was even once quite late when I ran out of cash about 10 or 11 and found only one place open in Pattaya yet still didn't ask.

Probably things changed now, I do have a passport card which a lot of European countries use which I'll bring the next time and hopefully will suffice.

On 9/6/2017 at 17:20, sean coast said:

yep i carry a credit card laminated copy of my passport just in case ....

In case of what? Maybe you mean to produce to police if asked for your passport.

There is no way I will be carrying my full passport around with me, rules or not. If I do

not agree with anyones rules, then I will not obey them if I can help it, just as long as no ordinary person

gets inconvenienced in any way.

On 9/21/2017 at 08:13, Luggage said:

It was only last year, did Bangkok and pattaya. There was even once quite late when I ran out of cash about 10 or 11 and found only one place open in Pattaya yet still didn't ask.

Probably things changed now, I do have a passport card which a lot of European countries use which I'll bring the next time and hopefully will suffice.

a photocopy will suffice at TT. i have changed cash since feb 12 times in pattaya, every 1 with a photocopy

Just remember that when you get a copy of your passport pages don't walk out and leave your passport at the shop of course I never did that :Oops1:

On 08/09/2017 at 06:02, Kahoy said:

120 baht to get a laminated business card sized copy of your passport with the ID page on one side and Visa page on the reverse. At the Kodak shop on Soi Buakhow near soi Diana corner.

That's where I always get mine.

Robw

Yes I carry a credit card sized laminated copy of my passport whenever I'm abroad.....many countries require you to carry ID.

The only place I've been stopped by the police was in Tokyo, but I’ve used the copy to register SIM card etc. In Pattaya.

Passport itself stays in the hotel safe.

Archived